Gun Bill Saturday - May 4th

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

e-bil
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Bill Saturday - May 4th

Post by e-bil »

IIRC, it means that it has been tabled but they can bring it back up again at a later time. I am a little rusty on my rules of order though.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jerry_r60 »

St1cky wrote:How is SB299 any better for us than 1304?? I see a few words added and nothing that sounds helpful. Basically if im out in public and I reach up and scratch my head and my shirt tail rises above my gun handle then I've still committed a crime. Anyone care to explain a scenario that shows how 299 is an improvement??
If I'm understanding the rules, it's better from the perspective that it had already passed teh Senate so voting on it is a done deal, other than the Governors signature. No need for the Senate to vote on the HB or any kind of reconciliation committee.

I also like the additional verbiage of "in a public place". Not sure it really matters but the more limit on when the exposure is a crime, the better.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

The "public place" language seems to allow BBQ guns at private parties. :biggrinjester:

Justinbhutto

Post by Justinbhutto »

sounds like it was a successful day

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jerry_r60 wrote:
St1cky wrote:How is SB299 any better for us than 1304?? I see a few words added and nothing that sounds helpful. Basically if im out in public and I reach up and scratch my head and my shirt tail rises above my gun handle then I've still committed a crime. Anyone care to explain a scenario that shows how 299 is an improvement??
If I'm understanding the rules, it's better from the perspective that it had already passed teh Senate so voting on it is a done deal, other than the Governors signature. No need for the Senate to vote on the HB or any kind of reconciliation committee.

I also like the additional verbiage of "in a public place". Not sure it really matters but the more limit on when the exposure is a crime, the better.
Correct on both points. Also, SB299 statutorily reverses the horrible decision of the Dallas Court of Appeals in the McDermott case by adding the words "force or" before "deadly." This properly allows CHLs to rely upon Tex. Penal Code §9.04 to defuse a situation, contrary to the holding in McDermott. This is no minor change in Texas law.

Chas.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:

Correct on both points. Also, SB299 statutorily reverses the horrible decision of the Dallas Court of Appeals in the McDermott case by adding the words "force or" before "deadly." This properly allows CHLs to rely upon Tex. Penal Code §9.04 to defuse a situation, contrary to the holding in McDermott. This is no minor change in Texas law.

Chas.
So Chas, under current law, it's something like this:
Someone is breaking into my truck in the daytime, I can't tell if they're armed, I could only draw on them and tell them to stand down if they produced a weapon or I felt that my life was threatened, which would be hard to prove.

But if SB299 passes as-is, it would be something like this:
Someone is breaking into my truck in the daytime, and if my goal is apprehend the individual or stop the crime, I can draw my weapon and stop the individual, although deadly force is not warranted (at least not yet).

And this is a very general example, I know that other technicalities can be present with theft.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:

Chas.
So Chas, under current law, it's something like this:
Someone is breaking into my truck in the daytime, I can't tell if they're armed, I could only draw on them and tell them to stand down if they produced a weapon or I felt that my life was threatened, which would be hard to prove.

But if SB299 passes as-is, it would be something like this:
Someone is breaking into my truck in the daytime, and if my goal is apprehend the individual or stop the crime, I can draw my weapon and stop the individual, although deadly force is not warranted (at least not yet).

And this is a very general example, I know that other technicalities can be present with theft.

Chas.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Also, SB299 statutorily reverses the horrible decision of the Dallas Court of Appeals in the McDermott case by adding the words "force or" before "deadly." This properly allows CHLs to rely upon Tex. Penal Code §9.04 to defuse a situation, contrary to the holding in McDermott. This is no minor change in Texas law.
Boy, this is huge!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Hercowboy606

Post by Hercowboy606 »

The language differences between SB299 and HB1304 may seem small but that is far from the fact. As Mr. Cotton has already spoken to, the "force or" addition before "deadly is a big deal. It is also important to note the language is SB299 clearly deals with printing. "Intentional displays in plain view". HB1304 was missing key words here. I was worried that HB1304 would be the bill passed. Boy was I relieved yesterday when they tabled it for the companion SB299. This was a very important bill for CHL holders... Very. Thanks to all who worked in getting this through the political wood chopping! :patriot:

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”