IL: Manager tells police no guns allowed

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Manager tells police no guns allowed

Post by Abraham »

At this point, that particular restaurant's anti-gun manager should be well known by D's top management.

I wonder if they think it's in their best business interest to keep him employed or if he was quietly shown the door...?

Hhhmmm, now I wonder if Denny's in Texas are now 30.06ers?

Last time I was in one they weren't, but now...?

I'll see what's what at the 30.06.com page.

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E10 »

I worked private security in Dallas in the 1970s while in college. Patrolled apartment complexes, office buildings, new housing developments, etc. The Denny's restaurants not only allowed us to carry inside, they often gave us a 50% discount. In the middle of the night, anybody with a badge and gun was welcome. Don't remember getting hassled by the real cops, either. Occasionally a sneer or chuckle, but never any trouble.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

E10 wrote:I worked private security in Dallas in the 1970s while in college. Patrolled apartment complexes, office buildings, new housing developments, etc. The Denny's restaurants not only allowed us to carry inside, they often gave us a 50% discount. In the middle of the night, anybody with a badge and gun was welcome. Don't remember getting hassled by the real cops, either. Occasionally a sneer or chuckle, but never any trouble.
Were you openly carrying back then in that job? It sounds like you were.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

E10

Post by E10 »

C-dub wrote:Were you openly carrying back then in that job? It sounds like you were.
Oh, yeah. I was among the first commissioned security guards in Texas. We could carry in uniform on the way to work, on duty, and on the way home. 4" Ruger Speed-Six .38 Special.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by drjoker »

Denny's is sucky. First, they've been publicized for not allowing Asians into their restaurant. Now, they won't allow armed cops in. What next?

Oh, and, remember, the Luby's massacre in Killeen? What many do not know is that there were police officers in the hotel
next door who were in a training class. The hotel operator asked the
officers to leave their weapons in the car so they lost precious
minutes retrieving their weapons instead of being able to go directly
to Luby’s.
Last edited by drjoker on Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

drjoker wrote:Denny's is sucky. First, they've been publicized for not allowing Asians into their restaurant. Now, they won't allow armed cops in. What next?

Oh, and, remember, the Killeen massacre that happened a few years ago at the restaurant? Cops were dining across the street but they didn't have their guns because the business owner wouldn't allow them to enter with guns. This slowed their response time from seconds to minutes. All he needed to commit the horrible massacre was a few minutes! BTW, this was before there was CHL in Texas.
You must be younger than some of us on this forum, Drjoker. Look into the original name that Denny's went by and you will see that Asians are not the only ethnic group they have run into problems with.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Purplehood wrote:
drjoker wrote:Denny's is sucky. First, they've been publicized for not allowing Asians into their restaurant. Now, they won't allow armed cops in. What next?

Oh, and, remember, the Killeen massacre that happened a few years ago at the restaurant? Cops were dining across the street but they didn't have their guns because the business owner wouldn't allow them to enter with guns. This slowed their response time from seconds to minutes. All he needed to commit the horrible massacre was a few minutes! BTW, this was before there was CHL in Texas.
You must be younger than some of us on this forum, Drjoker. Look into the original name that Denny's went by and you will see that Asians are not the only ethnic group they have run into problems with.
Maybe I'm too young to understand but why is Danny's Donuts a racist name?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bizarrenormality wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

Maybe I'm too young to understand but why is Danny's Donuts a racist name?
That was not the original name of Denny's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Re: IL: Manager tells police no guns allowed

Post by mojo84 »

It wasn't Sambo's like many think. It was Danny's Doughnuts.

From wikipedia regarding Denny's racist reputation.

"Racial discrimination lawsuits

During the 1990s, Denny's was involved in a series of discrimination lawsuits involving several cases of servers denying or providing inferior service to racial minorities, especially black customers.[15]

In 1994, Denny's settled a class action lawsuit filed by thousands of black customers who had been refused service, forced to wait longer, or pay more than white customers. The $54.4 million settlement was the largest and broadest under federal public-accommodations laws established thirty years previously to end segregation in restaurants and public spaces.[16]

These are some of the most notable incidents involving racial discrimination at Denny's, all occurring after the settlement:

A black Denny's customer was told, in 1995, that he and his friends had to pay up front at the counter upon ordering their meals. He questioned the waitress: "We asked the waitress about it and she said some black guys had been in earlier who made a scene and walked out without paying their bill. So the manager now wanted all blacks to pay up front."[17]
Another 1993 incident occurred when six black United States Secret Service agents visited a Denny’s restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland. They were forced to wait an hour for service while their white companions were seated immediately upon entering.[18]
In San Jose, California, in 1994, several black teenagers were refused service unless they agreed to pay in advance.[19][20]
In 1997, six Asian-American students from Syracuse University visited a local Denny’s restaurant late at night. They waited for more than half an hour as white patrons were regularly served, seated, and offered more helpings. They complained to management and to their server but were forced to leave the establishment by two security guards called by Denny’s management. Then, according to the students, a group of white men came out of Denny's and attacked them[21] and shouted racial epithets. Several of the students were beaten into unconsciousness.[22][23]
After the $54.4 million settlement, Denny's created a racial sensitivity training program for all employees. Denny's has also made efforts at improving its public relations image by featuring blacks in their commercials, including one featuring Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford, both actors from the popular The Jeffersons television series.[24][25] In 2001, Denny's was chosen by Fortune magazine as the "Best Company for Minorities."[26][27] In 2006 and 2007, Denny's topped Black Enterprise's "Best 40 Companies for Diversity."[28]"
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Okay. You are mostly correct. Also from Wikipedia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By February 1983, 618 of the locations were renamed Season's Friendly Eating.[7] Several locations were sold to Denny's.[8]

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

This very same Wikipedia source reflects that several Sambo's Restaurants were sold to Denny's. That is where the 'Urban Legend' came from.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Selling some of the locations to them is entirely different than changing the corporate name. I believe the lawsuits and accusations had much more to do with their reputation than the purchase of a few restaurant locations.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

alvins

Post by alvins »

I think you guys forget dennys does have a right to refuse service to anyone if they want.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

alvins wrote:I think you guys forget dennys does have a right to refuse service to anyone if they want.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “Other States”