Search found 5 matches

by CHLLady
Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?
Replies: 134
Views: 6814

Re: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

One thing to consider is by raising your hand in a halt motion, it may be caught on camera and will show that you attempted to stop their advance and gave warning. It also displays to witnesses that you are not the aggressor. Most cameras are not equipped for sound, so this is in your favor at trial. Edited: You already said that. :thumbs2:

Herb, I'm concerned that a smile and "No, thank you." by a woman will not be accepted as easily by the aggressor. Has this technique been used by women with the same results when coupled with the body language? Shouldn't women be more firm in their denial?
by CHLLady
Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?
Replies: 134
Views: 6814

Re: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

train460 wrote:I am new here but would like to throw in my 02.
Most comments made above are about what is percieved an actual attack, ie "BG". But in my mind he is not a bad guy "legally" until i either, see a weapon, experience aggresion either facial expressions or with his movements, or am physically attacked.
Just a few examples but my point is that just because someone comes up to you for whatever reason, they MIGHT not be a BG but say a deaf panhandler wanting to hand you a little card that says "I AM DEAF", then looking for a handout. By you saying backoff etc may not have been understood and then you assume the wrong intentions and bang, because he did not "back off" and you are going to jail.
I feel that, if approached in anyway other than being charged i would put up my left hand in a universal signal to stop, yell loud STOP with my body turned that my right hand is gripping my sidearm, but still holstered. If that person still approaches i feel that they would almost have to grab my left hand for me to then pull and discharge. Of course their demaner would play a BIG part in the scenario of course.
just my 02 of course.
Thoughts?
Michael
Michael, I see your point and agree about the hand gesture to stop. In my case, I'd be able to speak to him in sign language. But one thing you don't consider is that deaf people are mostly very good lip readers, they are very perceptive to facial expressions and body language. It's like a heightened sense for them. They know the mouthed word NO. Trust me. My mom could read me by side profile. :oops:

I have been approached by 2 deaf men while at a McDonalds with my friends as a teenager. I sat there and translated to my friends everything they said at their table. You should have seen the look on their faces when I told them, "NO, not interested in your ABC cards and I watched you tell your friend about "How good I am at selling the cards that I don't have to work, watch me when I sell to these girls. I'm so good!" A friend bought a card though, but she was more impressed with me, she wanted to learn Lol. So are they not using ABC cards, just I'm deaf feel sorry for me cards nowadays?

My problem is not reading people, I'm a very good judge of people by subtle signs they give off.
I need my space. If you keep approaching after I have told you to stop, or used the word no, and you still keep approaching, I will react by the best method available to me depending on time and distance.

Thank you HerbM for your insights! It is much appreciated! :thumbs2:
by CHLLady
Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?
Replies: 134
Views: 6814

Re: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

I don't recall the CH class discussing this and have not asked my instructor about this topic. I have not found anything on my lady gun sites.

Do you yell "Freeze!" Or "Stop or I'll shoot!" Or not say anything because you are already shooting, depending on the situation. :confused5
Why was the gun pulled? If the gun was pulled because "force" was justified, I'm starting a conversation with instructions for the individual down range of the barrel. If the gun was pulled because "deadly force" was justified, there is no time or need for words.
" I may also move away from him to create distance. I'm also yelling for any bystanders to call 911." Gotcha. So either I am firing my weapon or I am moving myself to a better advantage. No words necessary. Unless I'm trying to control the situation before it escalates, as in he is approaching and I'm telling him to "Back Off! What do you want?" kind of thing.
by CHLLady
Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 am
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?
Replies: 134
Views: 6814

Re: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

I don't recall the CH class discussing this and have not asked my instructor about this topic. I have not found anything on my lady gun sites.

Do you yell "Freeze!" Or "Stop or I'll shoot!" Or not say anything because you are already shooting, depending on the situation. :confused5
Why was the gun pulled? If the gun was pulled because "force" was justified, I'm starting a conversation with instructions for the individual down range of the barrel. If the gun was pulled because "deadly force" was justified, there is no time or need for words.
Ok, this is what I was wondering, but you worded it better. ;-) It was late when I posted this last night. Lol.

Thank you all for helping me, I'm just trying to follow through on the draw in a "force" was justified scenario.
**Ok, so what are you telling the BG? What is the best way to deal with a compliant BG and how do you disarm him/her safely without getting close to them?

Wild Bill, that's hilarious! And yes, in that situation no time for talking. Lol.
by CHLLady
Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?
Replies: 134
Views: 6814

Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

I don't recall the CH class discussing this and have not asked my instructor about this topic. I have not found anything on my lady gun sites.

Do you yell "Freeze!" Or "Stop or I'll shoot!" Or not say anything because you are already shooting, depending on the situation. :confused5

Return to “Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?”