Search found 7 matches

by cyphertext
Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:14 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I live in Katy and I work in Houston. Since January 1, I have not had a single location I visit that now prohibits CC where they did not do so before. My work has always prohibited the possession of weapons by policy, but not by law (no signs). That did not change. I have been to 11 restaurants (including fast food). None are posted at all. I have been to 7 stores. Only one of these is posted (an HEB), and that is only 30.07.

The only difference for me is that I can now OC pretty much every place that I would normally go. I don't think that I am in the minority to say that there has been no noticeably negative impact for me. I think that a lot of folks are focusing on the number of entries on Texas30.06 without thinking about whether they are really even impacted at all.

That said, I am fortunate to have a pretty broad selection of stores and restaurants for anything I might want, so even if some of my "favorite" places post, I will just have to find new "favorites". I do feel for anyone in a rural area who loses every reasonably close place to buy groceries and the like.
Get back to me when you try to take the family to Half Price Books, AMC Theaters, or Denny's just to name a few. If you haven't seen 30.07 signs up, you haven't been looking.
I won't be getting back to you because I haven't been to a HPB in at least 10 years. If I want a book, I usually go to Amazon. Why go to AMC theatres when Santikos is nearby? Santikos blows any other theatre out of the water, IMHO. Denny's? Yeah, not losing much there, either.

I didn't say that there was no place near me posting signs. I said that there was no place I would normally have gone that has banned CC and only one place that bans OC, and I have not had to change my normal routine at all to avoid such places. I also said that I have a wealth of alternatives if I start to encounter more places that don't value my rights. And I don't think that I am in the minority.

I realize that others have had to make more adjustments to their routine. But is the loss of a bookstore really that much of a tragedy in the grand scheme of things? Bookstores (of all types) are headed toward extinction, IMHO, just like Blockbuster. So we will lose all of them soon enough.
Those were just off the top of the list of recent businesses... Never heard of "Santikos", but you have heard of AMC, and Cinemark... both major chains that have posted, with Cinemark being 30.07 only. And saying that you go to Amazon instead of HPB... well, Amazon is not a physical book store, so there is no comparison there. My family enjoys HPB, because they have books, music, and games and my son sells a lot of books there as well.

The Perot Museum has posted, another place my family enjoyed. Top Golf... another place that posted 30.06 after OC became a discussion. We have even seen gas stations posting in our area. Sprout's grocery posted when OCT began doing their marches and going into businesses...

Great that you have not been affected, but many in the DFW area have.
by cyphertext
Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:09 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I live in Katy and I work in Houston. Since January 1, I have not had a single location I visit that now prohibits CC where they did not do so before. My work has always prohibited the possession of weapons by policy, but not by law (no signs). That did not change. I have been to 11 restaurants (including fast food). None are posted at all. I have been to 7 stores. Only one of these is posted (an HEB), and that is only 30.07.

The only difference for me is that I can now OC pretty much every place that I would normally go. I don't think that I am in the minority to say that there has been no noticeably negative impact for me. I think that a lot of folks are focusing on the number of entries on Texas30.06 without thinking about whether they are really even impacted at all.

That said, I am fortunate to have a pretty broad selection of stores and restaurants for anything I might want, so even if some of my "favorite" places post, I will just have to find new "favorites". I do feel for anyone in a rural area who loses every reasonably close place to buy groceries and the like.
Get back to me when you try to take the family to Half Price Books, AMC Theaters, or Denny's just to name a few. If you haven't seen 30.07 signs up, you haven't been looking.
by cyphertext
Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:07 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote: I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....
That would be my bet too.
I'll bet you lunch that no 06 or 07 signs go up TAM
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
I get a free lun-unch. I get a free lu-unch. :lol: Dang it! :waiting:
I just left the GVM office and asked them about about the 06 signs coming down and he said it was true. If you OC the individual will be given verbal notice and a 07 card and asked to leave. He also stated that if we can't see it we are fine with CC.

I thanked him for the change in policy and shook his hand.

TAM, are you hungry? I could eat. :thumbs2:
Richbirdhunter, I hate to keep being the Doubting Thomas on this, but I just called the mall office and the lady that I spoke to stated that the mall is private property and they have the right to refuse to let anyone carry a firearm. I told her that I understand that, but I asked if they were going to post and she told me "Yes. We are currently working on that." So I'm not sure that this issue is put to rest yet. :confused5
Yes, when I walked into the office the lady at the front desk said we don't allow guns. I asked her why the signs came down and she was annoyed but she said let me go get the manager. He came out and invited me out into the hallway, that's when he told CC is fine OC you will be given verbal notice.

My feelings are that they have said for so long that the employee is still not on board, but management has reversed their policy.
Ok, cool.... You guys enjoy lunch. :cheers2:
by cyphertext
Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 am
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....
That would be my bet too.
I'll bet you lunch that no 06 or 07 signs go up TAM
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
I get a free lun-unch. I get a free lu-unch. :lol: Dang it! :waiting:
I just left the GVM office and asked them about about the 06 signs coming down and he said it was true. If you OC the individual will be given verbal notice and a 07 card and asked to leave. He also stated that if we can't see it we are fine with CC.

I thanked him for the change in policy and shook his hand.

TAM, are you hungry? I could eat. :thumbs2:
Richbirdhunter, I hate to keep being the Doubting Thomas on this, but I just called the mall office and the lady that I spoke to stated that the mall is private property and they have the right to refuse to let anyone carry a firearm. I told her that I understand that, but I asked if they were going to post and she told me "Yes. We are currently working on that." So I'm not sure that this issue is put to rest yet. :confused5
by cyphertext
Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....
That would be my bet too.
I'll bet you lunch that no 06 or 07 signs go up TAM
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
I get a free lun-unch. I get a free lu-unch. :lol: Dang it! :waiting:

I'm not on Facebook, what's it say?

One guy states that there are signs at all entrances, the next guy asks if it is "new or the non-conforming one", and the OP answers new... no photos though...
by cyphertext
Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:51 am
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....
That would be my bet too.
I'll bet you lunch that no 06 or 07 signs go up TAM
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
by cyphertext
Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 pm
Forum: General Texas CHL Discussion
Topic: Another casualty of Open Carry
Replies: 213
Views: 19818

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....

Return to “Another casualty of Open Carry”