Search found 26 matches

by 03Lightningrocks
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:10 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

I am sure we have all heard the old, what if another LTC saw you with the gun and thought you were the shooter. Truthfully, anything you do has some risk factor. Including being shot down by the guy with the rifle. That is part of why having a concealed weapon is such a heavy responsibility.
by 03Lightningrocks
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

I am thinking if the cops showed up at an active shooter scene and you were standing there with a gun in your hand they would likely shoot you before you could say much.
by 03Lightningrocks
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Grayling813 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am
I very rarely respond to "what would you do" threads for several reasons. There are so many variables that make an accurate and compete response difficult if not impossible. I'm an attorney and I don't want people equating my response with legal advice. I was a police officer for 10 years and that may or may not have an impact on my instinct. There are other reasons, but you get the message.

I will make an exception to my standard policy of not getting into these types of threads. In a mass-shooting situation, I will do everything in my power to protect innocent lives. I will go to the sound of the gunfire and I will stop the carnage as quickly and decisively as possible. I will engage the shooter with my handgun regardless of the weapon he is using and regardless of his attire. Whether I live or die is in God's hands and have no problem with reality. If I were to do otherwise, I could not live with myself. I would have to grow a beard because I wouldn't be able to look at myself in a mirror.

I don't suffer from Walter Mitty Syndrome and I have no hero complex. I pray that I never am in a position to have to take the actions I described. But if I am, I will do what I believe the Lord and my personal code of conduct requires. I will not stand by or run while evil spreads death and destruction over innocent people. That, at least in part, is why were are where we are today.

Chas.
Well said, sir.
Sheep dogs always move to engage the wolf. My pastor said yesterday that you must be prepared every day to stand before the Shepherd, for you know not what day your time on earth has ended.
If I were alone I would respond in this manner. The question was while ones SO was with them. I simply could not picture risking my families lives. My main concern would still be to get my loved ones into a safer spot.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Oldgringo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:48 pm
Hypothetical test question: You're legally carrying, with your SO on a shopping outing, and you hear gunfire within the store, what do you THINK you would do?
My loved ones are with me? I ascertain where the shots are coming from and move my family in the opposite direction. I would attempt to find concealment for them and then remain ready to fire if the threat came into my zone.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:17 am
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Holy cow! That is quite the read. I am left speechless.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:55 pm
When your "friends" are all digital images and your main human contact is through texting, it is no surprise that one would lose touch with their ability to feel compassion.
actually, when you're life is all about caregiving, about 99% of your social interaction is online. And yes, they are real friends, I have compassion for them, many I've met at least once, some I've never met....but that doesn't mean I don't weep when one of my friends is diagnosed with cancer or loses a spouse.
And I thank God everyday for you guys and my friends on Facebook who helped keep me sane for over 3 years....and who still do, because I haven't made new friends yet. There are many other reasons people have more on-line real connections than in-person connections.
But you were not raised that way. You, like me and others, were well into being adults before the internet social media influences came about.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:47 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Oldgringo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Grayling813 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:12 pm
Folks, let’s not attack each other while trying to make sense of the senseless. If you want to cast blame somewhere, the evil manifest by this person comes from the prince of this world.
nonsense! It was the way you were reared; nothing, more nor less!
I am 100% in agreement with Oldgringo.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Killadocg23 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:02 pm
patterson wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
[quote=imkopaka post_id=<a href="tel:1258732">1258732</a> time=<a href="tel:1564878585">1564878585</a> user_id=20015]
[quote=SewTexas post_id=<a href="tel:1258719">1258719</a> time=<a href="tel:1564875095">1564875095</a> user_id=8949]
[quote=03Lightningrocks post_id=<a href="tel:1258717">1258717</a> time=<a href="tel:1564874787">1564874787</a> user_id=3350]
[quote=SewTexas post_id=<a href="tel:1258712">1258712</a> time=<a href="tel:1564872604">1564872604</a> user_id=8949]
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
[/quote]

03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.
[/quote]
Im with you on that Ive played video games all my life and now in my 50s I enjoy playing Call of Duty WW2
[/quote]
patterson wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
imkopaka wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.
Im with you on that Ive played video games all my life and now in my 50s I enjoy playing Call of Duty WW2
Add me to the list of those that play violent video games and wouldn’t fathom of doing this. It’s definitely not the video games . Obviously this guy agenda was racist based against Hispanics. Idk why even take him into custody just “out” him right there.
[/quote]

The violent video games was listed as part of the problem. Not the only problem. Violence in media as well as living a life on the net is also part of it all. Most of these guys are also anti social and have problems fitting in.

To proclaim one plays video games and doesn't kill anyone is like a person who watches porn non-stop but never rapes anyone. But, most rapist have been known to watch porn. That makes porn part of what makes a rapist cake. Just like violent video games are part of the recipe for a mass shooter nut cake.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Oldgringo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:48 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
Daisy Cutter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg
Holy Cow! I just read it. That is just unreal! I wonder if he posted it before he did the shootings? Maybe someone reading it could have done something to stop him?
Other than shooting up the place and needlessly killing a bunch of innocent people; in his manifesto, he has pretty much called a spade a spade and called it as it is. Unfortunately, he forsook martyrdom and surrendered.
He decided not to go out with a bang. :fire
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:51 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Oldgringo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 pm
Daisy Cutter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg
I tried to tweet a copy of this image about an hour ago, and I was instantly blocked from Twitter for 12 hours, for allegedly violating a rule.
891D9B5D-2757-4968-913F-EC5A7B76C843.png
That is odd. Twitter is crazy.
...and left-wing?
Yep... as far as you can get left wing.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 pm
Daisy Cutter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg
I tried to tweet a copy of this image about an hour ago, and I was instantly blocked from Twitter for 12 hours, for allegedly violating a rule.
891D9B5D-2757-4968-913F-EC5A7B76C843.png
That is odd. Twitter is crazy.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Daisy Cutter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg
Holy Cow! I just read it. That is just unreal! I wonder if he posted it before he did the shootings? Maybe someone reading it could have done something to stop him?
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

carlson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 pm
imkopaka wrote: I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).
This is the difference.
I strongly agree!
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

The police are all over his home in Allen. It looks to be a fairly upscale neighborhood. I also just saw that he actually got into his car and drove a little ways before being stopped. I was under the impression he was caught inside walmart.
by 03Lightningrocks
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:37 pm
Forum: The Crime Blotter
Topic: El Paso Walmart Shooting
Replies: 185
Views: 11990

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

imkopaka wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.
Just because you have yet to go off the deep end does not mean that violent video games aren't part of the equation. Every major government agency now uses video games to train everyone from cops to military personal. If the video game was not an effective training tool, Government agencies would not be utilizing them for training. It is just the way it is.

Social media and video game training are both part of why so many in your generation have no empathy and don't see people as fellow human beings. When your "friends" are all digital images and your main human contact is through texting, it is no surprise that one would lose touch with their ability to feel compassion.

Return to “El Paso Walmart Shooting”