I was about to set up a Gun Trust but now with the Executive Order I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be.
I've read through the White House Fact Sheet but it doesn't outline any specifics, only language like, "ATF is finalizing a rule that makes clear that people will no longer be able to avoid background checks by buying NFA guns and other items through a trust or corporation," which I believe was already in the works.
I know that a lot of folks set up gun trusts because their CLEO wouldn't sign off for them but now it appears the CLEO won't be in the approval loop, only notified. Our CLEO would sign off so that's not a problem. I like the idea that any firearms in the trust are shielded from probate and that when I do get a SBR or suppressor all members of the trust will be able to legally possess them. I don't know of any doors getting knocked down because the wife has access to a suppressor that belongs to her husband or any arrest for letting your son shoot your SBR even though he doesn't have the stamp but I'd rather be safe than sorry in this current climate. Also the fact that if any of my trustees buy a NFA firearm they can put it in the trust is appealing.
Has/will anything change with this due to the EO?
If I get a trust formed before the ATF ruling will I and my trustees be grandfathered in or will there be retroactive action or background checks?
When is the ATF expected to rule?
Any other pros or cons I should consider?
I've visited Sean Cody's and Jim Willi's websites. I've heard good about both of them, any reason to choose one over the other? Anyone else I should consider?
Just to add, all my would be trustees (wife, sons, and DILs) are CHLs.
Search found 1 match
Search found 1 match • Page 1 of 1
- ↳ Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions
- ↳ Test Area
- ↳ Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)
- Resources & Links
- ↳ CHL Checklist
- ↳ Government resources & CHL-related links
- ↳ DPS Updates
- National Rifle Association, Texas Firearms Coalition & Good Guys United
- ↳ National Rifle Association
- ↳ Texas Firearms Coalition
- ↳ Good Guys United
- ↳ General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion
- ↳ General Texas CHL Discussion
- ↳ Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues
- ↳ Rifles & Shotguns
- ↳ New to CHL?
- ↳ The "Waiting Room"
- ↳ Other States
- ↳ Shooting Ranges
- ↳ Reloading Forum
- ↳ Never Again!!
- ↳ Competitive Shooting
- ↳ Hunting Photos
- ↳ Books & Videos
- ↳ Off-Topic
- ↳ Ladies
- ↳ Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!
- ↳ Holsters & Accessories
- ↳ LEO Contacts & Bloopers
- ↳ "How To" Tips
- ↳ Job Board
- ↳ Camp's Corner
- ↳ Prayer Requests & Updates
- ↳ The Crime Blotter
- ↳ Self-Defense Reports
- Instructors , Classes and Training
- ↳ LTC Class Schedules & Locations
- ↳ Basic & Advanced Training (Non-LTC)
- ↳ Past Classes
- ↳ Instructors' Corner
- ↳ General
- Market: Buy, Sell, Trade - Please check the minimum posting requirements in Forum Rule 13
- ↳ Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies
- ↳ Firearms
- ↳ FFL Holders
- ↳ Closed Items
- ↳ Commercial Vendor Bargains and Deal
- ↳ Non-Firearm related items
- Community Service Announcements
- ↳ General Announcements
- ↳ Animal Rescue
- ↳ Prior Year TexasCHLforum Days
- ↳ 2012 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008
- ↳ Feedback - 2007 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2007 TexasCHLforum Day
- ↳ General Legislative Discussions
- ↳ 2019 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"
- ↳ Crimes on Campus
- ↳ Prior Session: 2005 - 2017
- ↳ 2015 Legislative Session
- ↳ 2013 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2013 Calls-To-Action
- ↳ 2011 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2009 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2007 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2005 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ Goals for 2007
- ↳ Concealed Carry on College Campuses
- ↳ 2017 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2017 Legislative Wish List
- ↳ Federal
- ↳ Prior Year Elections
- ↳ 2012 Texas & Federal Elections
- ↳ Texas - 2008
- ↳ Federal - 2008
- ↳ 2014 Elections