Search found 1 match

by joe817
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Fort Chambers
Replies: 0
Views: 1092

Fort Chambers

FORT CHAMBERS. Fort Chambers, built during the Civil War, was a small Confederate mud fortification located about halfway between the site of Fort Anahuac and the town of Anahuac in Chambers County.

It was built in late 1862 under the direction of Heinrich Mueller of Galveston, who was in the Confederate military service. Its construction came after an inspection of coastal defenses by Commander William W. Hunter of the Confederate Navy in January 1862.

The small fort, which was named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, included two cannons, a twenty-four pounder and a thirty-two pounder. They were later mounted outside the doors of Galveston's Artillery Hall.

Return to “Fort Chambers”