Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

at the range today

Post by powerboatr »

Our range/club is out in the "boonies" at the end of a dead end road
our normal routine is my wife goes with me and we have a great time.

today i went by myself to run a few through the ar10.

i get there and like normal on a week day there is NOBODY there. we have a security gate that takes a code to open so generally only members come in
i texted my wife to let her know i was there.

i unload the truck and lay out my rifle, pelican case and stuff on tables behind the firing line concrete tables.
i grab a target and proceed to walk the 125 or so yards to the line and staple a dirty bird up. then walk back up to half point and hang another so i have a reference. i have not shot this rifle in over 8 months :eek6

so i get set up using the bench. takes me forever to get settled in. the drop from the table is right at 12 feet to the 125 yard marker so you are really laying in the down barrel. I am tall so the adjustable screw seat is bottomed out and i am still crouching a bit to get a good position and control
ran 50 rounds at five at a time and did OK, 75 yard mark took a few to bring back to center and i had a heck of time keeping the barrel from jumping up.
I normally shoot prone and do quite well, sitting is a NON normal for me so ...i need lots of practice :biggrinjester:

twice i walked to the 125 yard marker to look and stretch the legs. but one time i thought, HEY dummy ..your 125 yards from your gear, and your back is to the firing line.
if i was to have an accident or an errant rattle snake run by i could be screwed. phone was in truck, truck was locked with key in the console.

after the last walk i got my phone and key
spent almost 2 hrs and no body ever came to the range. felt really weird ...but our area is deceptively safe feeling. plus you would never hear anyone drive in as the gate is 100 feet or so from the firing line. one could easily be shooting and never know anyone else is even close
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: at the range today

Post by Tex1961 »

Not quite as remote and usually at least one other member there, but close to the same at the outdoor range I go to. I always keep my EDC loaded though. You just never know.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxRVer »

I just have to ask, how do you get into a locked truck when the key is in the console?
Charlie

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I always drive to the 100 yd and 200 yd target lines. my knees can't take that kind of walking anymore.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

TxRVer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:04 am I just have to ask, how do you get into a locked truck when the key is in the console?
key pad on door
i used forscan to set computer to allow me to lock keys in truck without it popping the locks open and i can walk away with truck running and lock doors without the chirp or horn honk
truck just idles or ramps up on demand.
its nice when you want to run into store and not have t shut off or leave it running with key fob inside

very convenient
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I used to have a similar problem at an outdoor range on BLM land I used to shoot at back in California. I just kept my car keys in my pocket, and I would just bring my slung rifle with a full magazine and a few extra rounds of ammo in my pocket out to the target stand.

I never had any problems. Occasionally, someone would drive right past my shooting position, headed for another while I was out at my target stand, but nobody ever gave me any trouble. I was fortunate, but I do understand the concern.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

powerboatr wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm
TxRVer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:04 am I just have to ask, how do you get into a locked truck when the key is in the console?
key pad on door
i used forscan to set computer to allow me to lock keys in truck without it popping the locks open and i can walk away with truck running and lock doors without the chirp or horn honk
truck just idles or ramps up on demand.
its nice when you want to run into store and not have t shut off or leave it running with key fob inside

very convenient
Thanks for 'splainin'.
Charlie

howdy

Post by howdy »

My Ford F-250 has the push button entry also. I leave the keys in the truck every now and then because that wad of keys hurts my manly physique. "rlol" I own some property in Burleson County and go up there several times a year. It is just raw land but I enjoy playing Davy Crockett and walking around in the woods. I have a Honda UTV side by side that I drive around when I get lazy. Two times in the past I have been going down the road on the property and come across people trespassing. Both times they were armed. I always have my EDC and I always have a rifle and a shotgun on the UTV. The rifle for hogs and the shotgun for copperheads. It is a very tense few moments as we face off. Both times they were apologetic and left the property. I have game cameras that show trespassers. I give those pictures to the Game Warden.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

howdy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:55 am My Ford F-250 has the push button entry also. I leave the keys in the truck every now and then because that wad of keys hurts my manly physique. "rlol" I own some property in Burleson County and go up there several times a year. It is just raw land but I enjoy playing Davy Crockett and walking around in the woods. I have a Honda UTV side by side that I drive around when I get lazy. Two times in the past I have been going down the road on the property and come across people trespassing. Both times they were armed. I always have my EDC and I always have a rifle and a shotgun on the UTV. The rifle for hogs and the shotgun for copperheads. It is a very tense few moments as we face off. Both times they were apologetic and left the property. I have game cameras that show trespassers. I give those pictures to the Game Warden.
i use svelte :biggrinjester: "rlol"
on the hog lease we never ever walked around without at least a sidearm. those timber rattlers will flat give you pause, especially the ones that fall out of trees. i have a pic of a black snake (large bullwhip) hanging on the branch just above the gate latch. i about pooped my pants when i saw him after my wife was waving her arms wildly from inside the truck . i never saw it until she got my attention. sun was in my eyes. he said HI :smilelol5:
not to mention the folks popping up that were not invited.
we had a few trespassers that cut the solar charge wires on the feeder , left bags of beer cans and trash. property owner didnt care and never did anything so we let it go.
Attachments
snake 2.jpg

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

powerboatr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:46 am
howdy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:55 am My Ford F-250 has the push button entry also. I leave the keys in the truck every now and then because that wad of keys hurts my manly physique. "rlol" I own some property in Burleson County and go up there several times a year. It is just raw land but I enjoy playing Davy Crockett and walking around in the woods. I have a Honda UTV side by side that I drive around when I get lazy. Two times in the past I have been going down the road on the property and come across people trespassing. Both times they were armed. I always have my EDC and I always have a rifle and a shotgun on the UTV. The rifle for hogs and the shotgun for copperheads. It is a very tense few moments as we face off. Both times they were apologetic and left the property. I have game cameras that show trespassers. I give those pictures to the Game Warden.
on the hog lease we never ever walked around without at least a sidearm. those timber rattlers will flat give you pause, especially the ones that fall out of trees. i have a pic of a black snake (large bullwhip) hanging on the branch just above the gate latch. i about pooped my pants when i saw him after my wife was waving her arms wildly from inside the truck . i never saw it until she got my attention. sun was in my eyes. he said HI :smilelol5:
we had a few trespassers that cut the solar charge wires on the feeder , left bags of beer cans and trash. property owner didnt care and never did anything so we let it go.
You’re supposed to shoot the nope noodles with a gun, not a camera!
:fire :fire :fire
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:09 pm
powerboatr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:46 am
i think that bullwhip liked that spot, we saw him there a few more times, in the trees there. must have been the way the sun came through the trees to warm him up. if you look close he is smiling :anamatedbanana

Weldonjr2001

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

Similar situation here. Private range, code changed annually for the automatic gate, mostly nobody but me there on weekdays, but I still keep my carry loaded and ready. If I feel like shooting a few rounds from it, I always clean and reload one of the other firearms I brought along.
The range is in a wooded area near a lake. Just never know who could gain entry to the range from any side, through the woods. The only real fence is on the road where the entry gate is. The rest of the range is surrounded by various poorly maintained fences on adjacent forested property.
The only time I’ve had to fire a shot in “anger” at my range was when a large flock of, I think domesticated from a neighboring property, turkeys decided to approach me rather aggressively, I guess expecting food. When the lead Tom was only a few feet from me, and still coming, I unloaded a .357 mag round into the ground. It definitely made them change course. I had recently been pecked on the back of my leg by a goose, and I was not letting any more big birds get close.
I have a video of the incident, but don’t know how to post it.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:09 pm
I havent heard the term "Nope Noodles" since I was a youngster a long time ago. Thanks for the memories
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Many, many years ago I was shooting at Quail Creek on a weekday. Only person there. By myself at range line so pretty much did as I pleased with target replacement and such. They had a rule, even way back then, that one does not approach the bench while folks were setting up targets. Couple of guys come in and start setting up all their rifles and gear while I was down range of them putting up targets. It kind of ticked me off. Even without a "rule" it is pretty darned stupid to be setting up rifles while a person is down range from your barrels. You would think they would have the smarts to see me setting targets and to follow suite. Nope, the idiots spent time setting up their rifles and then decided to do their targets after I got back to the firing line. That kind of stuff use to happen out there all the time. I bet that was 30 years ago now.

That place has been there forever. I was going there when I was 22-23 and am 61 now. I know it had been there for several years before I started hitting it. I have not been back in at least 15 years now. Many changes over the years.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”