New Range in Hempstead: Peacemakers Gun Range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

New Range in Hempstead: Peacemakers Gun Range

Post by Vol Texan »

A neighbor of mine just sent me a note about a new training facility in Hempstead, TX, a little way NW of Houston. He tells me that an old friend of his has just opened it.

I've not been there, and I've only checked out their site so far, but it looks like a fantastic place! Photos show a clean, new outdoor range with a nice indoor classroom facility.
From what I've seen so far from behind my keyboard, I'll likely check them out, and I hope the best for them in this endeavor. We need good places like this in our 2A community.

From their site (https://pmgrtx.com/):
PeaceMakers Gun Range was designed and built from start to finish by two friends, Kent Gilbert and Buck Farmer, both retired Houston Police Officers. They became friends while working together on the Department and decided to take a leap of faith and build something that was a long-time dream for both of them. This turned into a four year project, something that both of them laugh about to this day.

Money was tight, so they did all the work themselves. They started with an old dump truck, excavator and bulldozer to clear the land and build the shooting berms with clay dug from a site on one corner of the property. Over a thousand dump truck loads later the berms were finished. Then came endless hours of tying rebar, pouring concrete, laying block, hauling gravel, welding, cutting and drilling steel, designing and building a roof from scratch, and numerous other tasks. When they finally finished, they were very proud of their little gun range. They hope that you like it too.

The goal of Kent and Buck has always been to provide a safe and clean facility where people can come and actually train, not just stand in one place and make holes in paper. Shooting on the move, engaging multiple targets, shooting from cover and around obstacles, all of this and more will be available, things that are not available at other ranges.

Group classes will consist of four to five hours of training: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced in both pistols and carbines. Shooters don’t need to bring any equipment; the range will supply pistols, belts, holsters and mag pouches for the pistol classes, and AR-15’s for the carbine classes. If you want to bring your own eye and ear protection, that will be fine. Advanced shooters will probably want to bring their own weapons and rigs, and that is fine too. Private one-on-one training is also available, and instructors will make every effort to work with your schedule.
It seems they're sole-focused on training for now, and their range is not open for public shooting as of yet. From their FAQ:
Is the range open to walk-ins?

Right now we are concentrating on training classes. We encourage you to sign up for one online or by calling us. Classes are fun, reasonably priced, and you will learn a lot. Later we may be open to walk-ins.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

puma guy

Re: New Range in Hempstead: Peacemakers Gun Range

Post by puma guy »

Though they have limited facilities they may be an option since Hot Wells closed. It's always great to see a new range open regardless.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Rafe

Re: New Range in Hempstead: Peacemakers Gun Range

Post by Rafe »

puma guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 am Though they have limited facilities they may be an option since Hot Wells closed. It's always great to see a new range open regardless.
I was just about to comment: Didn't Vol Texan used to shoot at Hot Wells? I think we crossed paths there back a decade or so ago.

Yeah, Hot Wells had some drawbacks. But I had permission to use the LEO range there when there was no organized activity happening, and it really was the only convenient, outdoor range near that Cypress/Coles Crossing location. I got to know Donovan and Josh fairly well--even sold Josh a Kimber 1911--and was sorely disappointed when the range closed.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Peacemakers.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Shooting Ranges”