Your LEAST favorite shooting range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Your LEAST favorite shooting range?

Post by Paladin »

Since we've got a thread about favorite ranges, I thought it might be entertaining/informative to hear about your least favorite ranges and why they are your least favorite ranges?

I welcome humorous stories, and please keep things civil.

I remember one time a the League City range a new group of shooters had just paid and were walking onto the line. The Range Officer didn't say much too them except that there would be a cease fire in about 5 minutes.

The shooters set their gear down on the pistol range benchs, got their targets and proceeded to walk right out onto the live range. :shock: With people shooting and everything... Fortuantely the shooters were smart enough to stop when the people started to walk towards their line of fire. The Range Officer spent some time chewing them out, but really if they were new shooters somebody should have given them a little more guidance in the first place.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Buddy of mine who is a airline pilot and a federal flight deck officer (licensed to carry a gun in the cockpit) was telling me he had some real issues when he went to the "SSC" range in Friendswood.

My buddy is really easygoing and polite. Pays $9 to shoot, and asks as an aside "by the way is there a law enforcement discount?"

Range guy says yes, and asks to see ID.

Buddy hands him ID (confirms federal law enforcement officer, albeit very small jurisdiction)

Range guy proclames loudly "You aren't real law enforcement!" and THROWS the ID back at my buddy.

Buddy politely asks why not?

Range guy says the discount is only for local law enforcement. Takes $8 out of the register and throws in back at my buddy.

Buddy feeling a bit wise says "this is only eight, I gave you nine"

Range guy throws him the last dollar and cusses him.

My buddy ignores it and goes home.

I thought the whole thing was pretty shameful, in that as a federal flight deck officer, my buddy's on the front lines if another 911 type attack happens.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

In College Station, we have brayton fire school. Its part of Texas A&M, and it is world renowned. Many times brits will come train there at brayton, but the gun free always make a trip to the range. It's slightly comical and slightly scary all at once. They clear out the rental rack and shoot at targets 5 ft away! They are always given good range instruction, it's never unsafe, but one's mind always wonders.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Buddy of mine who is a airline pilot and a federal flight deck officer (licensed to carry a gun in the cockpit) was telling me he had some real issues when he went to the "SSC" range in Friendswood.
So what does SSC stand for?

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

one eyed fatman wrote:
So what does SSC stand for?
"Safe, Sane, and Consensual"... but that's a different topic. :wink:

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

So far my least favorite is Gun Emporium on old 105 in Conroe.

Not that it is a bad range, just that safety deosn't appear to be thier top priority.

A friend was sitting at a bench shooting when a young couple (not a slight on the young) take the bench next to him. When they started shooting they were standing way behind the firing line. Consequently the muzzle of thier gun was behind my friends head. He promptly called a cease fire and politely explained range safety.

After his talk with the shooters he went inside to tell the range owner (no RO). The owners dismissed it as no big deal.

I've heard of several similar incidents from this range.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

one eyed fatman wrote: So what does SSC stand for?
Sportsman Shooting Center

It's a very small indoor handgun-type range.

It's the first place I ever shot in houston, and the only range I've been to that I would never go back to.

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

Paladin wrote:Buddy of mine who is a airline pilot and a federal flight deck officer (licensed to carry a gun in the cockpit) was telling me he had some real issues when he went to the "SSC" range in Friendswood.

My buddy is really easygoing and polite. Pays $9 to shoot, and asks as an aside "by the way is there a law enforcement discount?"

Range guy says yes, and asks to see ID.

Buddy hands him ID (confirms federal law enforcement officer, albeit very small jurisdiction)

Range guy proclames loudly "You aren't real law enforcement!" and THROWS the ID back at my buddy.

Buddy politely asks why not?

Range guy says the discount is only for local law enforcement. Takes $8 out of the register and throws in back at my buddy.

Buddy feeling a bit wise says "this is only eight, I gave you nine"

Range guy throws him the last dollar and cusses him.

My buddy ignores it and goes home.

I thought the whole thing was pretty shameful, in that as a federal flight deck officer, my buddy's on the front lines if another 911 type attack happens.
I haven't been to SSC in years, although it is very close. This story sounds VERY MUCH like the guy who was running it then. I never had any real problem with him myself, but he was pretty crusty then.
Also, the reloads he sold must have had about the dirtiest powder I've ever experienced. It took a long time to get the gun clean.

TraCoun

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Shooters Station in Conroe, on Hwy 105

A little high for indoor range, last time I went it was $12.00 per lane per shooter.

Fellows behind the counter have an attitude of "I don't really care if your here or not". Not too friendly.

On the flip side, they do have a good selection of semi-autos, rifles, shotguns, holsters, ammo, just about anything you want.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Shooters Station in Conroe, on Hwy 105

A little high for indoor range, last time I went it was $12.00 per lane per shooter.

Fellows behind the counter have an attitude of "I don't really care if your here or not". Not too friendly.

On the flip side, they do have a good selection of semi-autos, rifles, shotguns, holsters, ammo, just about anything you want.
I noticed in another thread that you shoot at Gun Emporium. Ya know, it's funny how it seems that noone seems to like both places.

I have tried both. I spend a lot of time at Shooter's. Some of the personell do take a bit of getting used to, but they are very good people. The range fee bit high compared to emporium, but there is no limit on amount of guns and I've never seen a time limit enforced.

The observations that you've made about Shooter's Station is the same way that I've from at Emporium. The friendliness just hasn't seemed to be there. Maybe I've just caught them on a bad day. I don't intend to give up on them. I feel that they may loose business by closing at 6:00 PM, but its thier place to run as they see fit.

Emporium does have a nice selection that seems to be growing. The range is kept nice, and the expansion to the shop is terrific.

Each shop/range seems to have a great number of regulars. Hopefully they will both be around for a long time. We can never have too many gun stores/ranges.

I will take either of these establishment over Carter's Country most any day. :D

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Hotwells.

I went to the pistol range once and I felt like it was pretty unsafe. There was an old guy running it that couldn't hear and didn't really keep an eye on everyone that was shooting.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Hotwells.

I went to the pistol range once and I felt like it was pretty unsafe. There was an old guy running it that couldn't hear and didn't really keep an eye on everyone that was shooting.
Lumberjack98 that's an improvement for Hotwells. The times I shot there nobody was out there to keep an eye on anything at the pistol or rifle ranges.

JLaw

dws1117

Post by JLaw »

I never paid much attention to the fact you brought up about no one really enjoying both, but when I stop to think of it, you're right. Everyone has their own favorites, I like the variety of products offered at Shooters. But yes , Emporium is growing and expanding. You've got to watch and make sure your dealing with someone at Gun Emporium that's seasoned (in other words, not a kid) to get GOOD service. And that's what it's all about. Where ever we find it, that's what we're all after, right? Good service, good people, and safe shooting.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I have to amend my earlier post about Gun Emporium.

I went to shoot my Yugo SKS last week and had a pleasent experience. I didn't experience any of the unsafe conditions that friends have, but it might have been the time and day that I went. Had a couple of nice conversations with a couple of shooters. The staff was very helpful and cordial.

Given this recent experience this will most likely become my primary rifle range.

As far as cost, Gun Emporium is cheaper if you only bring one gun. If you decide to shoot more than one that is when cost will mount. Just two guns will bring the cost to the same Shooter's rage fee.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Both SSC in Friendswood and the range (can not remember the range name) in League City are horrible. The old poot at SSC makes Scrooge look like Mary Poppins. The bunch at the LC range are the most unprofessional bunch I can think of. The LC range is a mud pit, and you have to inspect the undercarriage of your vehicle after visiting.

I like shooting at the Pasadena Gun Center. Dave (the owner) is great, I can shoot during lunch, and he rents out class 3 weapons!!!!! You are free to do pretty much as you please. I get to practice clearing leather and all other things packers are wont to do. 8)
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Shooting Ranges”