Your LEAST favorite shooting range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

anygunanywhere wrote: I like shooting at the Pasadena Gun Center. Dave (the owner) is great, I can shoot during lunch, and he rents out class 3 weapons!!!!! You are free to do pretty much as you please. I get to practice clearing leather and all other things packers are wont to do. 8)
CHL meeting what...what? :D
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KinnyLee »

The old man at SSC has been there for years. He lives in the trailor next to the range with his wife and dog. I think things have gone down hill ever since that other guy quit on him 4-5 years ago. He didn't really keep up with his equipment, and the range is poorly ventilated. Plus his prices went up not too long ago. That is why I stop going there 6 months ago.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Paladin wrote:Buddy of mine who is a airline pilot and a federal flight deck officer (licensed to carry a gun in the cockpit) was telling me he had some real issues when he went to the "SSC" range in Friendswood.

My buddy is really easygoing and polite. Pays $9 to shoot, and asks as an aside "by the way is there a law enforcement discount?"

Range guy says yes, and asks to see ID.

Buddy hands him ID (confirms federal law enforcement officer, albeit very small jurisdiction)

Range guy proclames loudly "You aren't real law enforcement!" and THROWS the ID back at my buddy.

Buddy politely asks why not?

Range guy says the discount is only for local law enforcement. Takes $8 out of the register and throws in back at my buddy.

Buddy feeling a bit wise says "this is only eight, I gave you nine"

Range guy throws him the last dollar and cusses him.

My buddy ignores it and goes home.

I thought the whole thing was pretty shameful, in that as a federal flight deck officer, my buddy's on the front lines if another 911 type attack happens.

This story is hilarious, I do not know which part is funnier - 1) Here we have an (no offense intended) Airline Pilot trying to get an LEO discount, 2) A gunstore Commando who does not reailzie that FFDO really are deputized Federal Law Enforcement Officers! Too funny!

AOPAPilot

Post by AOPAPilot »

SSC. The guy is an absolute jerk. He is also retired HPD. Either way I will never set foot in that place again. The range sucks, and he is the rudest person I have ever come across in my life.

jbirds1210

League City Range

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have to agree with horrible experiences at the LC gun range. I used to shoot there several years ago when it was under a different owner and it was a much more pleasant place to visit. The people are rude, the prices are high, you need a four wheel drive vehicle to access the range and the firing line leaves you feeling like it would be safer to vacation in Beirut. :shock:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

anygunanywhere

Re: League City Range

Post by anygunanywhere »

jbirds1210 wrote:The people are rude, the prices are high, you need a four wheel drive vehicle to access the range and the firing line leaves you feeling like it would be safer to vacation in Beirut. :shock:
:lol: LMAO :lol:

My wife took a course at the Texas City range down off the levee near the dike. I had to wait in the truck since it was la femme only. The range looked pretty nice.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dws1117 »

The couple of times that I went to the Texas City range near the dike, I was very impressed. It was very clean. The staff was courteous and very professional. I don't recall cost, but I had just started shooting and didn't really have much to compare cost.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: League City Range

Post by Paladin »

jbirds1210 wrote:I have to agree with horrible experiences at the LC gun range. I used to shoot there several years ago when it was under a different owner and it was a much more pleasant place to visit. The people are rude, the prices are high, you need a four wheel drive vehicle to access the range and the firing line leaves you feeling like it would be safer to vacation in Beirut. :shock:
On a saturday afternoon when the handgun range is packed, I really start to get nervous. Early Saturday morning isn't so bad as there's noboby but CHL students there and they're in the classroom at that time.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jbirds1210

Texas City Range

Post by jbirds1210 »

I agree with all of the positive posts concerning the Texas City range! I know the guys out there and they go out of their way to be helpful and courteous. I wish I had five bucks for evertime I ever shot there...I could buy a couple of new Sigs 8-)

The League City range is what I referred to in an earlier post...the thought of shooting on the pistol range again makes me shiiiiiivvvvver.

Just my opinion :roll:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Perhaps they should have been given more guidance... However, if they couldn't figure out not to walk out on a live range, I don't know that it would have helped!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”