Galveston Rifle and Pistol Club

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
galvestonredneck
Posts in topic: 2

Galveston Rifle and Pistol Club

Post by galvestonredneck »

When I bought my CZ I started looking for a range in this area. I looked on the internet and found 2. One was the Texas City Range and the other was the Galveston Rifle and Pistol Club.
I went to the Texas City range and shot there several times. I also quilified there when I took my CHL class with ElGato. The range was OK, I thought it was a bit like the military ranges I had shot at and was restrictive of how a person shot his firearm. I understand that due to the number of people shooting there and the level of training (or lack thereof) some of them have, it is nessary to have a restrictive type of range. I also didn't care for the price. My brothers came down and I had to pay $24 fore the 3 of us to shoot 1 pistol.

I ask around at work and found a member of the Galveston Rifle and Pistol Club that I knew. He signed my application (you have to be recemended) and I was aproved this past week. I made my first trip to the range this morning. The range is what I would call "bare bones" it is simple in design and when I showed up there was only one other person there shooting a rifle. I enjoyed very much shooting some drills ElGato had instructed us in at my CHL class. I was safe but enjoyed the aditional freedom of being able to shoot the drills in a non restrictive place.

The cost is $60 a year and you can shoot 7 days a week sun up to sun down. I am happy I joined and look foward to shooting there often. I will still have to pay the range fee at Texas City if I have a guest, but a guest can come with me to the club if they are not shooting. The view is good and I found I shot better while shooting by myself on the pistol range.

I just thought I would post this in case anyone in the area is interested, I have found at least one member here on the forum that is a member of the club. I am looking foward to seeing him at the range soon.

Galveston Redneck
Last edited by galvestonredneck on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Galveston Rifle and Pistol Club

Post by seamusTX »

I'm glad you like it.

I should explain that the range is on the shore of a lake in the interior of Galveston Island. Most of the view is obscured by the berms, but it's still a nice setting. It would be worth a fortune as residential property.

It's north of Stewart Road, just west of 7 Mile Road.

The club has a web site, http://www.galvestonrifleandpistolclub.com/, which is supposed to be functional soon. Meanwhile, anyone who is interested can send me a PM.

It's not unusual to be alone there, or the only person on the pistol range. At those times, you can shoot multiple targets, shoot while moving, and other exercises that you generally can't do at a public range.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
galvestonredneck

Post by galvestonredneck »

Thanks Jim for all your help and information. The web site is under construction but it still has the application PDF.

I went back this afternoon. I was by myself and thought it is sure nice to go and change targets when you are by yourself. Nice brease blowing off the Gulf... You know running shooting drills has a lot more apeal to me than just shooting targets. I expect to become a better shot as a result.

Galveston Redneck
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

Hello, I used to shoot a bunch at the GR&PC. I liked it out there and grew up about a mile from the range. I'm still a member but haven't shot there in some time. I still have some good friends that frequent the range. I enjoyed shooting the pistol matches and sure would like to see someone start them up again.... and maybe start the .22 rifle match again.

Thanks,
Eric

Rugrash
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rugrash »

I was going about once a week when the weather was cooler and it was normally during the week and more often than not it was just my uncle and I. The people I do see out there are some GPD SWAT guys. Most other people that I've shared the range with usually leave after about an hour or so. My uncle and I are usually there for 2-3 hours since I'm driving down from Houston. It's definitely worth the price and since I have family there I can do some visiting too...win-win situation.

Rug

big 54r
Posts in topic: 1

Post by big 54r »

I'm interested in joining Galveston also, I go to Texas City but it is very restrictive as to what drill's you can do so another venue that is less restrictive would be nice.

I went there one day looking for a phone # but it was empty and had only an address with no #.

can you shoot a rifle at Galveston?

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

As far as I know you can pretty much shoot anything you want. We shoot .30-06, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 5.7x28, 5.56x45 etc etc. :txflag:

We're working on maybe a .50 cal at some point too. muuuahhahaaa :reddevil

You won't regret joining.

-Rug

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

big 54r wrote:can you shoot a rifle at Galveston?
The club has separate rifle and pistol ranges. The rifle range goes to 100 yards.

- Jim

Ken73

Post by Ken73 »

Any news on when this is going to open back up? My wife and I bought a year-long membership to the Texas City range; we pretty much figured the Galveston club was wiped out by Ike. I'm not real fond of the restrictions in Texas City but right now it's the only close/decent place for us. (It's only about 5 or 6 miles away.)

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I can't say when the club will reopen. We are talking with the NRA about assistance for ranges that are hit by disasters, but the process is moving slowly. At the most recent board meeting, we authorized an officer to seek bids on rebuilding the berms.

BTW, I'm the webmaster now, and the site is up-to-date.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken73

Post by Ken73 »

Thanks Jim, we bought a year-long membership to the TC municipal range back in November. Once that's up, we'll be checking out the Galveston range to see if it's a better option. The one thing that frustrates me most is they're close on Mon/Tues. Quite often I have Mon/Tues off and is a perfect time for us to go shooting.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It is quite convenient to go to the Galveston range whenever you want during daylight hours, and most weekdays you are the only person there.

- Jim

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

Is it open again?? Last time I was in town (1/10/09) it was in shambles. I also heard that the Moody's really don't want it to open again and are pushing for permanent closure...I hope its all rumor and NOT true.

-Rug

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Sorry, I missed your message somehow.

The Galveston range is closed and will be for months. It's difficult for an all-volunteer club to move quickly when most of the members have been affected by Ike. (By "affected," I mean all that is left of their house is the driveway in some cases.)

No one can put the range out of business. The club owns the land free and clear, and state law prevents municipalities from closing ranges by zoning or noise ordinances.

I don't know why the Moodys would care. The range is nowhere near any of their properties.

- Jim

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

seamusTX wrote:Sorry, I missed your message somehow.

The Galveston range is closed and will be for months. It's difficult for an all-volunteer club to move quickly when most of the members have been affected by Ike. (By "affected," I mean all that is left of their house is the driveway in some cases.)

No one can put the range out of business. The club owns the land free and clear, and state law prevents municipalities from closing ranges by zoning or noise ordinances.

I don't know why the Moodys would care. The range is nowhere near any of their properties.

- Jim
I heard that they do own land behind the range, but maybe I'm somehow mistaken. I wouldn't put it past them if they really wanted it out of business. They might be able to create some legal situation that could bog things down for years (permits with the city etc), and in most of these instances...the people with the most money win...and they have lots. I'll have to do some fact checking with my uncle to see what he knows. Hopefully, when people get their lives back on track, we can do a volunteer day and get it back into shape. I miss going there and would rather drive an hour than goto Top Gun here in Houston.

-Rug

Return to “Shooting Ranges”