Regulations for outdoor ranges?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
racer32
Posts in topic: 1

Regulations for outdoor ranges?

Post by racer32 »

With the clsoing of the CC Gun range, I'm curious about opening a range. Are there any state/federal regulations that one needs to comply with in order to open an outdoor range?

Commander

Post by Commander »

Guns and Ammo Magazine had an article on shooting ranges a few issues back. One thing I seem to recall is that you have to get an environmental impact study and have a plan to mitigate the polution from lead.

I'm sure others on this board have knowledge on this subject and can help.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This is the site for the national association of range operators: http://www.rangeinfo.org/

I don't want to discourage you, but it looks like a full-time career and would require a couple hundred grand in capital.

You might make better progress with less front money by encouraging your county or city park department to build one. Texas City operates a decent range, but they're tax-rich.

- Jim

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Recall that the total investment in CC Gun Range was in the million dollar range.

And also that CC Gun Range was forced out of business by the city zoning laws, laws that were passed after the range existed and after it was annexed by the city. So much for the prohibition against ex post facto laws.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Shooting Ranges”