question about shooting on open land

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Witness P
Posts in topic: 3

question about shooting on open land

Post by Witness P »

I have a place that I have recently found to shoot outdoors the landowner doesn't mind if I shoot out there but doesn't want to give written consent becasue he is worried about liability. He does not live on the land, so simply asking him in person if theres an issue will not work, but he did give me verbal consent over the phone and said he doesn't mind at all as long as I'm responsible down there. This place is sometimes frequented by trash dumpers, groups of teens drinking and most of all many off roaders, including the occassional police officer. Which is my real question how do I go about validating the fact that I am allowed to shoot down there with out somesort of written permission? Is only verbal good enough? Any adive will be very helpful

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

I have verbal permission to hunt on a place also. Keep the tele # & if asked let them talk to the owner. It is written down on the envelope I keep my liscense in. I have known the owner of my hunting place long enough that I know he will not change his story. That is the only real issue.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

LT, you pointed out that you know your landowner won't change his story. I think Witness P's situation is much less secure, especially since the landowner is concerned about liability. Should a stray shot harm or even threaten someone, a landowner who won't given written permission, and who feels no personal obligation to the shooter, should be expected to crawfish quickly.

"Who? I don't know him, and he sure doesn't have permission to shoot on my land!"

Kevin

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

That was my point thou not stated very well. You need to know the land owner if there is only a verbal agreement. That know is more than name address & tele#. Know whether he will jump the fence or not. The "I don't know him" & no permission is much more prevelant in the big cities.
Neither he nor I could convince anyone that we did not know each other. It is common knowledge that I hunt there & take my grandkids there to fish (THat is the pond) They squirrel hunt & start shooting BB guns there. Much different where the whole 200 people in the country know each other.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Mike1951

But not OK in Harris County

Post by Mike1951 »

This from the 2006-2007 TPWD Hunting Annual:

"[It is against the law to]
hunt wild animals or wild birds or target shoot on land in HARRIS County owned by another without having in immediate possession written consent of the landowner of that land. The written consent must contain the hunter's name, identify the land on which hunting or target shooting is permitted, be signed by the landowner or legal agent for the owner, and must show the address and phone number of the person signing consent."

If there is no such ordinance where you live, you might be ok.

Mike

Topic author
Witness P

Post by Witness P »

to be honest I really have little or no worry about it at all, there's alsot of other peolpe shooting out there too, this land is for comercial sale and is not close to any body or anything really plus if you want to go down there you need 4 wheel drive because of the extreme angles of some of the hills, no way a cop car could get down there with out getting stuck long before it gets to you. There are shells and casings everywhere so it's not like I'm odd man out I have gone down there several times and ran into people shooting down there and have ended up having a nice time. I go just about everyday, the real plus's are saving on range fee's like mad, and becoming a much better shot when not cramped up in "The Bullet Traps" partition only shooting at a tiny red dot on paper is boring after about 30 mins. plus you pay $20 for it, I used to think that was a good deal but now I look at it as a major rip off, it's much more fun to shoot bottles and other assorted crap.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Witness P wrote:to be honest I really have little or no worry about it at all, there's alsot of other peolpe shooting out there too, this land is for comercial sale and is not close to any body or anything really plus if you want to go down there you need 4 wheel drive because of the extreme angles of some of the hills, no way a cop car could get down there with out getting stuck long before it gets to you. There are shells and casings everywhere so it's not like I'm odd man out I have gone down there several times and ran into people shooting down there and have ended up having a nice time. I go just about everyday, the real plus's are saving on range fee's like mad, and becoming a much better shot when not cramped up in "The Bullet Traps" partition only shooting at a tiny red dot on paper is boring after about 30 mins. plus you pay $20 for it, I used to think that was a good deal but now I look at it as a major rip off, it's much more fun to shoot bottles and other assorted crap.
Just a thought:
You might want to concider taking a large trashbag with you and take out some of the trash that others are leaving behind. It might keep the owner a little more shooter friendly.

Topic author
Witness P

Post by Witness P »

I had that idea when I've gone sevral times but never acted on it when I go today I am actually going to do that, I go almost everyday so one 30 gallon bag a day when I go down there should really add up thankks for the inadvertant re-enforcement of a previous idea.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”