Status of Sportsman's Outlet Humble

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
shootnfish
Posts in topic: 2

Status of Sportsman's Outlet Humble

Post by shootnfish »

The owner Gary Lee has been charged in connection with the theft of guns from the Cleveland Police Department evidence room. Does anyone know the current status of the range?

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Status of Sportsman's Outlet Humble

Post by sjfcontrol »

Got a link to that story?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
shootnfish

Post by shootnfish »

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/ ... ent_ca.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also found the video of the press conference where US Attorney Malcolm Bales talked about the indictment of Harry Leroy Kelley and mentioned that Gary Lee was charged also. I don't have a link to it but I am sure you can find it with a Google search.

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Sportsman's Outlet has changed ownership since this story made the news. While I am in no position to comment on the validity of charges, one telling quote that came out of the gossip surrounding the case was "...the dangerous thing about the ATF is they have all the time in the world and all of YOUR money to screw with you." There are even rumors that other local shops may find themselves facing similar charges relating to record keeping and/or illegal transfers from the BATF. Whether or not those shops remain in business may depend on the lawyers they can afford and how long they can keep the lawyers on retainer. All that aside, I think those who know Gary Lee still consider him a friend because he has always has been a good guy to us and we wish him the best. The timing of all this was unfortunate as the range has just begun to get back on its feet after being closed through from April 2007 until roughly November 2009.

The new owner has been very good to the range's customers both new and old. He has kept the same familiar, friendly and helpful staff so I don't expect much is going to change and that's a good thing. Many of us who used to shoot at another range near the Galleria on Tuesdays and Thursdays have been shooting at Sportsman's on Tuesday evenings in recent months. Gary Lee and now the new owner, deserve a lot of credit here because in contrast with that other range, Sportsman's welcomed its old customers back with open arms and without jacking up prices by 50% or demanding that we all become students of a regimented, in house training program that offered little or no value. The bottom line is that even through its own hardships with a 2007 fire that consumed the range and now a change of ownership, Sportsman's has been extremely kind to its customers and supportive of the shooting community in general. If you live in the Humble/Atascocita area, it is worth checking out.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Thanks for the post GC.
Missed you for a while.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Thanks...Been pursuing other interests for a while and really hadn't had much time for the forum. I've spent a bunch of time with a camera attached to my face over the last year but, I never gave the guns time to get cold. Looking forward to CHL Forum Day to see old faces and meet new folks.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Sportsman's Outlet has changed ownership since this story made the news. While I am in no position to comment on the validity of charges, one telling quote that came out of the gossip surrounding the case was "...the dangerous thing about the ATF is they have all the time in the world and all of YOUR money to screw with you." There are even rumors that other local shops may find themselves facing similar charges relating to record keeping and/or illegal transfers from the BATF. Whether or not those shops remain in business may depend on the lawyers they can afford and how long they can keep the lawyers on retainer. All that aside, I think those who know Gary Lee still consider him a friend because he has always has been a good guy to us and we wish him the best. The timing of all this was unfortunate as the range has just begun to get back on its feet after being closed through from April 2007 until roughly November 2009.

The new owner has been very good to the range's customers both new and old. He has kept the same familiar, friendly and helpful staff so I don't expect much is going to change and that's a good thing. Many of us who used to shoot at another range near the Galleria on Tuesdays and Thursdays have been shooting at Sportsman's on Tuesday evenings in recent months. Gary Lee and now the new owner, deserve a lot of credit here because in contrast with that other range, Sportsman's welcomed its old customers back with open arms and without jacking up prices by 50% or demanding that we all become students of a regimented, in house training program that offered little or no value. The bottom line is that even through its own hardships with a 2007 fire that consumed the range and now a change of ownership, Sportsman's has been extremely kind to its customers and supportive of the shooting community in general. If you live in the Humble/Atascocita area, it is worth checking out.
By another range near the Galleria I assume you are referring to Top Gun? I have not been there since they have fully re-opened. I have shot there a few times and also took my CHL classes there; what is this about jacking their prices up 50% and inhouse training program? I may have to keep going to Memorial Shooting Center even though it's further from the house.
CHL since 01/26/09

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

The short version is that after almost a year of claiming they accepted that the fire was one big "no fault accident" and claiming they wanted their old shooting clubs and long time customers to return as soon as possible, we found this was not the case. Specifically, more than once, our shooters frequently heard and read reports that management had publicly blamed the shooters present on the night of the fire for the incident...alleging everything from wreckless gun play to out right negligence and intentionally igniting the range. When we attempted to address these issues, Top Gun's management denied everything and responded with allegations that our group had publicly said we were happy the place burned. I never could find any thing of the sort and they never could say who said this or produce a copy of the alleged Internet posts to that effect. As far as I'm concerned, they have established a history of making false allegations or outright lying about anyone and anything as it suits their needs.

This opinion was solidified by the way Top Gun handled our shooters when they reopened. When we heard they were ready to reopen, we asked if it was time for us to come back. They said 'yes" but, they also informed us they'd hired a "training director/manager" who, after his discharge from the Army, had decided he wanted to start a training company and use Top Gun as his base of operations. So rather than resuming our old activities at a new, safer facility, Top Gun's owners told us they were doing away with our clubs and that they would now offer a "class" run by their new in training director with prices 50-100% higher than we'd paid in the past (new price was $30/person versus $15/$20 per person). Some of our guys gave the new "classes" a chance but, they found the material entirely too elementary to justify the higher cost. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the owners' claim they'd somehow protected us from their insurance company...I call "toro" on that one. And while not required, it would have been nice if they'd made some effort to make whole all the losses of the dozen or so shooters present that night who lost watches, phones, shooting bags and guns that night. Some of those shooters risked their own lives in an attempt to save Top Gun's customers and the facility itself. Instead, the owners asked us to pay even more for the privilege of shooting on their range. That's their right but, we as shooters have a right to take our business else where and make it known to anyone who asks, that Top Gun is still run by the same people who treated us poorly before and after the fire and that we recommend other facilities.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

xdfanatic

Post by xdfanatic »

G.C. I want to thank you for your post as I have shot at Top Gun at least a half dozen times since they reopened. The new range is nice but I have never really cared for the attitude of the ownership especially when I tried to take a group of 12 on the range a week or so ago. In any case it's sad to hear about Sportsman's but if the range is still open I guess a trip is in order to get back out there and give it another go.

Just curious when the Houston CHL get together will be held as I would love to attend. Since joining the forum I have learned so much and have immensely enjoyed meeting everyone here.
Xd
OIF OEF Veteran
SA XD .45 Service, SA XD .40 SC, SA XD .45 Tactical Custom, S & W 22A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Super Mag,Colt AR-15 M4 setup

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

xdfanatic wrote:Just curious when the Houston CHL get together will be held as I would love to attend.
October 23rd at PSC-Range
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=37582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

xdfanatic

Post by xdfanatic »

Thanks Teamless I am going to try to make it! I have never shot at PSC and have heard good things about it.
OIF OEF Veteran
SA XD .45 Service, SA XD .40 SC, SA XD .45 Tactical Custom, S & W 22A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Super Mag,Colt AR-15 M4 setup

Return to “Shooting Ranges”