Doing my first IDPA match this Wednesday

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 6

Doing my first IDPA match this Wednesday

Post by Scott in Houston »

I posted another thread a while ago regarding shooting and 'practical shooting'.
Thread here for reference: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live in Katy, so I plan on going to Impact Zone Wednesday evening to shoot IDPA for the first time.

I will shoot my Glock 19 and utilize a Blackhawk OWB holster.
I have 3 magazines, but not a magazine holster or pouch yet. I am heading to Academy today to see if I can find something for the magazines.

Any equipment or other things I need to do before going? I've read through the rules (and there's a lot of them), so I'm generally familiar with how this works.

I'm looking for any equipment and/or any other advice that I can get ahead of time. (Including mental tips, etc)

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Doing my first IDPA match this Wednesday

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Words of advice:
1) Plan to have fun but, be vigilant with respect to the four core rules of firearms safety because this is a sport where saying "I'm sorry" isn't enough to make up for catastrophic failures
2) Check your ego at the gate...We point and laugh at EVERYBODY!
3) Bring lots of questions and be ready/willing to learn
4) See rule number 1
5) Check out the WHIDPA website for new shooter info on equipment. http://whidpa.com/New-Shooter-Info/briefing.htm
6) Show up early so that one of the senior shooters can get you setup and brief you on anything you need to know
7) Go slow, DO NOT try to keep up with the fastest guys there. Concentrate on safety, accuracy and procedures; speed will come with time and you'll know when it's time to push harder and faster.

Baring any unforseen disasters here at the office or enroute from downtown, I'll be there this Wednesday.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Words of advice:
1) Plan to have fun but, be vigilant with respect to the four core rules of firearms safety because this is a sport where saying "I'm sorry" isn't enough to make up for catastrophic failures
4) See rule number 1
5) Check out the WHIDPA website for new shooter info on equipment. http://whidpa.com/New-Shooter-Info/briefing.htm
6) Show up early so that one of the senior shooters can get you setup and brief you on anything you need to know
7) Go slow, DO NOT try to keep up with the fastest guys there. Concentrate on safety, accuracy and procedures; speed will come with time and you'll know when it's time to push harder and faster.

Baring any unforseen disasters here at the office or enroute from downtown, I'll be there this Wednesday.
Thanks!! I appreciate the feedback and look forward to meeting you in person. I will be there Wednesday around 4:45 or 5 pm in order to give myself enough time to sign up/register and get fully briefed by a senior person.

Good news is: I am all about learning, and I don't plan on being 'fast'. If anything, you all may want to go out to dinner or something when it's my turn. :) I laugh at myself as much as others do and probably more. I really think that's the key to life. Speaking of life, I won't endanger anyone's including my own by following the rules. Thank you and see you Wednesday.

PS. I just picked up a mag carrier from Academy that holds two mags, so I should be set on equipment. That was the only thing I was missing.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Was the the noise I heard Saturday when I was lost in the pines ?

One additional comment to add to Gary's sage advice- If you're not comfortable with drawing from your holster yet, don't hesitate to tell the SO and start from a low ready position. Better that than droppping your pistol or an ND.

Also-- watch your driving speed through Brookshire and on 359. I've seen an unusual # of officers of late.

Bob Wolff

Post by Bob Wolff »

Don't forget to check the website for match status (rain possible)
It will be dark, flashlight reccomended.
Typically stages will be low light in one bay and well lit up in the other.
Flashlight not required, but can be used if you want to. Also helps when looking for things in your range bag.

Bob
Grand Poobah of all things Multigun at WHIDPA
NO matter how responsible he seems,
NEVER give your gun to a monkey.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Good stuff. I'm fine with drawing because I have practiced some and I'm going to go SLOWLY.

I have a weapon light but can't holster with it. Can I attach it after I draw? :)

I will check the web. I hope the weather holds. I'll bring mud boots just in case.

wford

Post by wford »

My advice, be safe, have fun.

Also, be quick to tape targets and stick around to help tear down. Alot of matches will have get togethers after. Go.

Personally I just taped targets at the first match I went to. I also picked out the local hot shot that taught and took his course prior to my first live match.

Oh and be prepared to get hooked.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

wford wrote:My advice, be safe, have fun.

Also, be quick to tape targets and stick around to help tear down. Alot of matches will have get togethers after. Go.

Personally I just taped targets at the first match I went to. I also picked out the local hot shot that taught and took his course prior to my first live match.

Oh and be prepared to get hooked.

Excellent. I spent time drawing and dry-firing (snap caps) today just to make sure I'm not too rusty or putting my finger on the trigger early, etc.

I'll definitely help out in any way I can. I just can't wait to learn. I'm actually more excited about watching and soaking it in than I am about doing it myself.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Welcome to your new addiction!! :cheers2:

Be safe, have fun. You seem to have the right attitude about learning.

Best piece of advice I have gotten at a match.......remember, the front sight is your accellerator
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Just got home... wow that was fun!!! I'm officially hooked.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Words of advice:
4) See rule number 1

Great meeting you and again, thanks! I was "Scott V" on the score sheet. (SSP Unclassified)
I think I did ok for my first time, but don't know how to read the scores really. LOL

I'll be back and looking forward to learning more.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”