Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
T Bone
Posts in topic: 2

Shooting Firearms outside City Limits

Post by T Bone »

Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I can't find answers on google or anywhere else..... I moved down from Canada where I can't even ask these questions.

I am aware that it is illegal to discharge my firearm within Austin city limits but are there places where people just go and shoot (not a shooting range)? I.e. out in the middle of nowhere (and where it is safe)?

I wanted to set up targets like watermelons, waterjugs etc....

If this is legal, can you guys advise where these places are?

Many thanks.....

:fire :txflag:
=====
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines".....Enzo Ferrari

Beiruty

Re: Shooting Firearms outside City Limits

Post by Beiruty »

You need to be on Private land, lot bigger than 10 acres. Have permission from owner to shoot and your bullet does not leave the boundary of the land.

Welcome to the board from another Canadian.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...I read something with some of those points when I was wading the game warden's moat...can you tell me where you found it??? what I found said shotguns, air rifles, pellet guns and seemed to exclude rifles...and I lost it...my brother has 10 acres in Springtown and we hunted that law for days and never found it...but it is 10 acres...is it state or county by county???

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

speedsix wrote:...I read something with some of those points when I was wading the game warden's moat...can you tell me where you found it??? what I found said shotguns, air rifles, pellet guns and seemed to exclude rifles...and I lost it...my brother has 10 acres in Springtown and we hunted that law for days and never found it...but it is 10 acres...is it state or county by county???
It is county by county, but state has prohibition from banning by the counties/rural cities when those limits are met:

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that's it...thanks...now to figure out where to put it where I won't lose it :oops:

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

Actually, Sec. 229.002 applies only to municipalities. Sec. 235.022 applies to counties.
Sec. 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.
Notice that all firearms are exempt on lots larger than 10 acres outside of town. Also, the county can choose whether or not to prohibit or regulate it on small lots, but by default it's legal unless they do.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/?link=LG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...thanks for that...he's in the county and that's more what he needs... :tiphat:

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

10 acres adjacent to a major highway might introduce you to a friendly TXDPS Officer (or 2)! :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
T Bone

Post by T Bone »

Thanks guys....

If there is anyone here who wants to let me onto his land and shoot, I am willing to pay! Happy shooting.
=====
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines".....Enzo Ferrari

Return to “Shooting Ranges”