Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Private ranges near Ft. Worth?

Post by killerfly128 »

Other than Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club and Johnson County Sport Shooters Association (I am on the extremely long wait list there) Where can a guy go to get quality range time? I prefer to shoot in an environment with privacy and freedom to shoot and move as I like. Ideally somewhere with private outdoor bays like JCSSA. Is anyone here a member of a private range in the area? Even a steel range would be nice.

Here is a video of what the JCSSA bays look like, it is not a video of me though.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Private ranges near Ft. Worth?

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

There is a private range in Flower Mound - can't remember the name. I think it's Denton County Sports Association.

Firearms Training Fort Worth

Grand Prairie Gun Club

I haven't visited any of these establishments, these are just private clubs in the area.

TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Parker County sportsmanship Club

http://www.parkersportsman.com/

PM me for more details
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

strider67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strider67 »

SigM4 wrote:Parker County sportsmanship Club

PM me for more details
+1 :thumbs2:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

strider67 wrote:

PM me for more details
Are you a member?

strider67

Post by strider67 »

SigM4 wrote:
strider67 wrote:

PM me for more details
Are you a member?
PM sent
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Wes

Post by Wes »

PM me for more details
Interesting...anyone an actual member and have more info? How often do you go and how is it?
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Wes wrote:

PM me for more details
Interesting...anyone an actual member and have more info? How often do you go and how is it?
I recently joined out there and thus far, thoroughly enjoy it. They have something for about every kind of shooter. As SigM4 stated previously, I'm sure you can PM either one of us for more details. :tiphat:

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Just for a brief overview of PCSC:

Open 7 days a week, sunrise to sunset. Accessed by members via keyed entrance gate.

Range A - 25 yrd pistol & 50 yrd rifle
Range B - 50 & 100 yrd rifle
Range C - 200 & 250 yrd rifle
Range D - Skeet/Trap field with automatic throwers
Range E - Two manual clay throwers
Range F - 7 & 15 yrd Pistol and Rimfire rifle

Ranges A-C & F have covered concrete shooting positions with tables.

As far as my experience out there goes, its been great. You can draw from a holster so long as you're not standing on concrete, which means that either you have to be alone on the range, or everyone on the range has to agree to move to shooting position forward. I've never really had a problem with this, as its rare that there are too many people out there at any one time. Even better if you can go out on a weekday, then you're almost guaranteed to have the place to yourself. Just recently we've done some improvements to both rifle ranges, to include bringing the 50 yrd target holders back to the 100 yrd range. Additionally new things such as improved walking paths to the target stands, and drainage, as well as putting down new rock throughout the club in the driveways and parking areas have been addressed. On-site restrooms have been a big hit with the wife (members work pretty hard to keep them clean and presentable). The club holds monthly new member orientations on the first Saturday of the month, as well holding them on those Saturdays that we have a gun/trade show at the club.

There are a lot of events and clubs that use the facilities, one of the more popular being the Service Rifle Matches. Additionally, there is at least one, possibly two CHL instructors that are members and use the range for the shooting portion of the class.

Not sure what initiation fee is anymore (I think it'd $70 but don't hold me to it), but dues are $70/year, with a guest membership being an additional $40. This allows you to bring friends/family not covered under your primary membership (basically anyone in your household to include children up to 17 years old).

If anyone is interested in going out to see the club and possibly do a little shooting feel free to PM me. So long as we can make the schedules work I'd be more than happy to host anyone wanting to check it out.

Topic author
killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

Well sounds like I am in ... Gonna fill out the app today.

styxx

Post by styxx »

I am also a member of the Parker County Sportsman Club (PCSC). I enjoy the facility several times a month. Mostly pistol and rimfire rifle, but some shotgun and center fire rifle. IMHO the general facility condition is very good and maintained very well (done by member volunteers) compared to other placed I have been. I routinely police my area and gather my brass and shot casings, and just about everyone else appears to do so also. I do not spend much time there on weekends, but on weekdays I find that there are a relatively small number of folks shooting (often with spouses) and I have always found everyone to be very pleasant and accommodating. If you are interested in a good family oriented shooting facility, I recommend that you check out the Parker County Sportsman Club web site. :patriot:
Some days are better than others, but every day is a good day.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Hmmm, sounds like my kinda place. Definately want to keep this one in mind. Thanks all for the info!
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:There is a private range in Flower Mound - can't remember the name. I think it's Denton County Sports Association.

Grand Prairie Gun Club

I haven't visited any of these establishments, these are just private clubs in the area.

TBM
You couldn't pay me to join Grand Prairie Gun Club. I had a very bad experience with them when I legally purchased a share to join, from the person who had the legal right to sell that share, and they gave preference to the person who had obtained that share illicitly through a back channel. I had the actual original certified copy of the share in my hands, and the person who the club gave the share to had a photocopy of it, provided by a family member who did not have the legal authority to sell it. It tied up $1,000 of my money for a while before I could get it back from the person who sold me the share. They have a small handful of guys who run that place like it's their personal fiefdom. I'm so done with that.

Also, they don't allow you to do pistol work the way killerfly128 is describing. My main interest was in their 200 yard rifle range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
The_Busy_Mom wrote:There is a private range in Flower Mound - can't remember the name. I think it's Denton County Sports Association.

Grand Prairie Gun Club

TBM
You couldn't pay me to join Grand Prairie Gun Club. I had a very bad experience with them when I legally purchased a share to join, from the person who had the legal right to sell that share, and they gave preference to the person who had obtained that share illicitly through a back channel. I had the actual original certified copy of the share in my hands, and the person who the club gave the share to had a photocopy of it, provided by a family member who did not have the legal authority to sell it. It tied up $1,000 of my money for a while before I could get it back from the person who sold me the share. They have a small handful of guys who run that place like it's their personal fiefdom. I'm so done with that.

Also, they don't allow you to do pistol work the way killerfly128 is describing. My main interest was in their 200 yard rifle range.
Out on that.

I think I have decided to join PCSC, just need to find the time off from work to get out to a new member meeting. In the mkeantime I am still on the wait list for JCSSA.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I am a member of the Brazos River Gun and Archery Club in Palo Pinto County. It is just west of Mineral Wells a couple miles and we are improving the range constantly. We have one Skeet/Trap field, a Cowboy Action area, handgun area, rifle range (max range is ~130 yards due to geography), and a clay target single thrower.

Cost to join is $85 - $80 a year depending if you are willing to receive electronic communications only, limited to 230 (maybe 250, not entirely certain on that) members. In June applications are available on the web site, “brgac dot org”, and all current members are given priority to renew first. After July 1, any opens slots are filled by non-members in the order received until capacity is reached. This makes it difficult to become a member, but not impossible, and easy to keep.

The range is open to members year round for daylight shooting, and after dark skeet and trap under the lights, only closing due to improvements going on or club sponsored events. We do have a range officer, but he is part time and members are required to police themselves while on the range. Violations observed by or reported to the club officers will be discussed and acted upon. The range was shot up in the past years, but with the current group of officers in place it seems to have improved greatly, and we want to keep it that way.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Return to “Shooting Ranges”