Ranges on private property

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ranges on private property

Post by VMI77 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
oohrah wrote:IIRC, the 10 acres rule is Texas law that allows counties to regulate activities only on parcels 10 acres or less.
The law is that the county cannot pass regulations on properties of ten acres or greater. Which only applies to properties outside of municipalities.

I was more interested in what people were doing than what the law is. Seemed to be a lot of people talking about shooting on their own property, and I doubt that they all have 10 acres or more. Looked at a 10+ acre lot in Nevada, but it was absolutely bare, and flat as a pancake. Converted farmland doesn't have much "personality".

I don't think that's quite true unless the law has changed since last time I read it. When I was looking for country property the way I read the law is that 10 or more acres gets you no regulation for shooting a shotgun, but for rifle and pistol the threshold is more than 50 acres.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

banshee

Post by banshee »

I have read something to vm77's response from other forums.

I am wondering if state law is only law in effect or can counties have there own laws.

I always thought higher govt supercedes lower govt, counties municipalities etc.. obviously I am not a lawyer :clapping:

by any chance are the laws based on population...
Last edited by banshee on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sjfcontrol »

VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
oohrah wrote:IIRC, the 10 acres rule is Texas law that allows counties to regulate activities only on parcels 10 acres or less.
The law is that the county cannot pass regulations on properties of ten acres or greater. Which only applies to properties outside of municipalities.

I was more interested in what people were doing than what the law is. Seemed to be a lot of people talking about shooting on their own property, and I doubt that they all have 10 acres or more. Looked at a 10+ acre lot in Nevada, but it was absolutely bare, and flat as a pancake. Converted farmland doesn't have much "personality".

I don't think that's quite true unless the law has changed since last time I read it. When I was looking for country property the way I read the law is that 10 or more acres gets you no regulation for shooting a shotgun, but for rifle and pistol the threshold is more than 50 acres.
If you look up those laws referring to 50 acres, I believe you will find the wording "a municipality may regulate...".
§ 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public
safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or
otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10
acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the
county in a subdivision.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

If you look up those laws referring to 50 acres, I believe you will find the wording "a municipality may regulate...".
county in a subdivision.
That could be. I was looking for land where it was highly unlikely any government entity could regulate my shooting, I probably just remembered the extremes.

Many of the people I work with live out in the country and just about all seem to have neighbors who shoot on property as small as less than 2 acres. Where I live I hear neighbors shooting almost every day.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

TeXJ

Post by TeXJ »

reference my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have 9.999 acres in Collin County. We've shot .50bmg to 22lr, and some bb guns thrown in for the little ones. The problem they had with me was that I had too many friends over... Fire Marshal said that I "could only have immediate family, no cousins or uncles"

Look up ETJ Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)

Since I was in the ETJ I did not fall under the 10acre rule, however apparently the Fire Marshal has the rule of law...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

TeXJ wrote:reference my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have 9.999 acres in Collin County. We've shot .50bmg to 22lr, and some bb guns thrown in for the little ones. The problem they had with me was that I had too many friends over... Fire Marshal said that I "could only have immediate family, no cousins or uncles"

Since I was in the ETJ I did not fall under the 10acre rule, however apparently the Fire Marshal has the rule of law...
TeXJ -- now that you remind me, I did read that thread. And certainly the fire marshal angle is unique. Has there been any update to your issue? Does seem that he is bypassing the intent of the law. I will review the entire thread tomorrow.
Never Forget. Image

TeXJ

Post by TeXJ »

sjfcontrol wrote:
TeXJ wrote:reference my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TeXJ -- now that you remind me, I did read that thread. And certainly the fire marshal angle is unique. Has there been any update to your issue? Does seem that he is bypassing the intent of the law. I will review the entire thread tomorrow.

More or less we have to walk the line or he will not give my dad the CO, that we are still waiting for and have already paid for...My dad, being almost 70, is now a consultant to help people be able to get their used car dealer license, he uses the land for it's office to help them be able to acquire the license. Apparently every business is supposed to have a Certificate of Occupancy...just not everybody has them, and they are not enforced, unless the FM wants to enforce that lil "law". However, if you dont have that the FM can shut you down, and they are also the issuing body, so they can choose to not give you another...lots of politics..
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

TeXJ wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

More or less we have to walk the line or he will not give my dad the CO, that we are still waiting for and have already paid for...My dad, being almost 70, is now a consultant to help people be able to get their used car dealer license, he uses the land for it's office to help them be able to acquire the license. Apparently every business is supposed to have a Certificate of Occupancy...just not everybody has them, and they are not enforced, unless the FM wants to enforce that lil "law". However, if you dont have that the FM can shut you down, and they are also the issuing body, so they can choose to not give you another...lots of politics..
I'm assuming the property is in Collin County? Are you familiar with the problems regarding Red Zone Ranch (an outdoor shooting range near Anna)?
We regret to inform you that Red Zone Ranch has been temporarily shut-down by the Collin County Fire Marshall’s office. They have informed us that we need to have a Certificate of Occupancy even though we do not have a building.

In order to get a certificate of occupancy we have to have an engineer submit a drainage plan for the property as dirt has been moved. This can all be corrected and they Fire Marshall’s Office has said they will work to expedite the process however, any use of the property as a range in the meantime is a violation of County Ordinances.
There were rumors that the EPA got involved, too. They never recovered.
Never Forget. Image

TeXJ

Post by TeXJ »

sjfcontrol wrote:
TeXJ wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

I'm assuming the property is in Collin County? Are you familiar with the problems regarding Red Zone Ranch (an outdoor shooting range near Anna)?
We regret to inform you that Red Zone Ranch has been temporarily shut-down by the Collin County Fire Marshall’s office. They have informed us that we need to have a Certificate of Occupancy even though we do not have a building.

In order to get a certificate of occupancy we have to have an engineer submit a drainage plan for the property as dirt has been moved. This can all be corrected and they Fire Marshall’s Office has said they will work to expedite the process however, any use of the property as a range in the meantime is a violation of County Ordinances.
There were rumors that the EPA got involved, too. They never recovered.
Yes Collin county, outside of Princeton. I remember something about them. I had thought of putting an actual range in, but the cost to do it and the fact that I have a full-time job plus at the time I was a full-time college student, didnt help either.

So now just my wife and I go and shoot there. :( sure do miss having friends come and shoot with me.
NRA Lifetime Member

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

county in a subdivision.
That could be. I was looking for land where it was highly unlikely any government entity could regulate my shooting, I probably just remembered the extremes.

Many of the people I work with live out in the country and just about all seem to have neighbors who shoot on property as small as less than 2 acres. Where I live I hear neighbors shooting almost every day.
So you must live in the inner city. :fire :cryin "rlol"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

suthdj wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

county in a subdivision.

So you must live in the inner city. :fire :cryin "rlol"
The difference is, my neighbors are shooting at animals, paper, and steel instead of people.

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

2farnorth wrote:
jiannichan wrote:This is like to know also. I'm looking at buying some property and have been looking at Celina, Pilot Point and Princeton.
Princeton would be in Collin County and so are parts of Celina. The county is known to be range "unfriendly". I'm also not a fan of Denton County for other reasons, but I haven't heard anything derogatory about them concerning shooting ranges. I moved up here to Fannin county to get away from the "metro" areas
Thanks. I started looking more at Pilot Point. The biggest I can find available is 2 - 2.5 acres. Appears to be Grayson County...It seems to be the best fit so my commute to the office won't be too bad. Probably won't be able to shoot on land that small unless it is a suppressed 22. I was looking at more north (Whitesboro & Bonham) where more land was available but I am not sure I can handle the daily commute to Plano.
-jchan

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I shoot on land that is just over 2 acres. It's a pistol range, not rifle.
We've got a dug out ravine with a berm on top of it. In front of that is a large target backstop with 7" of sand.
Unincorporated county. Land has restrictions against hunting use. One neighbor shoots .22.
During the day only, generally less than 30 minutes. Never had a complaint or had LEOs called.

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Sounds pretty fun to just be able to go into your backyard and just start shooting. Is this land that your house occupies that you're shooting on? What city/county?
-jchan

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

jiannichan wrote:Sounds pretty fun to just be able to go into your backyard and just start shooting. Is this land that your house occupies that you're shooting on? What city/county?
I don't have enough land that we can walk out back and just start shooting. There has to be a little more planning than that, even with a .410 shotgun. And we brought in heavy equipment to make sure that bullets couldn't escape the target area.
Travis county. Unincorporated = Not in the City Limits.

The nearest city has firearms restrictions.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”