First time at Elm Fork?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
multiple68
Posts in topic: 1

First time at Elm Fork?

Post by multiple68 »

Will be going to Elm Fork hopefully this weekend for the first time. I have been to indoor pistol ranges plenty of times, and shot my long guns at the family ranch, but never been to Elm Fork or any other outdoor range.

I understand the basic rules regarding gun safety (keeping action open and stepping away when range is cold, not handling guns unless your in the firing lane, etc.), but what other etiquette rules are there, and how does Elm Fork work specifically as far as the different distances and what you can do in them? I understand you have to have at least a 3X optic and cant shoot FMJ in the 100 yard range. Will they have ammo available and how is pricing? I think I only have FMJ for the bolt rifle I want to take into the 100 yrd range.

I dont know what all I will bring, but I have several pistols, a shotgun, rem 700 bolt rifle, and an AR. I need to sight in the bolt rifle and AR, so I will bring those for sure. Can I only shoot the pistols in the pistol range? If I were to bring all three long guns, could I shoot them all in the 50 yard range? Will there be a vice or sandbags to sight in the AR on the 50 yard range? While I am on the 100 yrd range, can I just keep my others in the case (will be packing all the long guns into one case).

Any other rules, advice, etc?

sdmahoney

Re: First time at Elm Fork?

Post by sdmahoney »

They do have a tactical bay that you can shoot .22, AR and pistol at, but it is a bit short (35 yards I think). I think I've even seen a shotgun in that bay. Before they opened the 50 yard range, I pretty much stuck to the tactical bay so I could shoot both my Mini-14 and my pistols without moving around. Also, they will charge extra if you want to use more than one range.

Bang4Buck

Re: First time at Elm Fork?

Post by Bang4Buck »

sdmahoney wrote:They do have a tactical bay that you can shoot .22, AR and pistol at, but it is a bit short (35 yards I think). I think I've even seen a shotgun in that bay. Before they opened the 50 yard range, I pretty much stuck to the tactical bay so I could shoot both my Mini-14 and my pistols without moving around. Also, they will charge extra if you want to use more than one range.
FYI I got there a lot since I started shooting and I was told the tactical bay is 27 yards. If you are shooting an AR in the tactical bay, you must shoot at the 27 yard target.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”