Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Garland Range update

Post by 1s1k52 »

Keith B wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:Looks like the same rules as the Eagle Peak Range north of Austin. No hardball applies to rifles only.
Eagle Peak adn Garland are same company.
Dave2 wrote:K... probably a stupid question here but... What's the difference between hardball and FMJ? I thought they were the same...
Technically ball is FMJ. The proper thing to say here is the range will not allow FMJ rifle ammo, but ball (FMJ) pistol ammo is allowed. The main difference is they don't want armor piercing rounds or FMJ due to it tearing up the berm from the higher velocity of the rifle. Pistol rounds are much lower velocity and don't cause as much issue.
One would think all of this is true. However, I spoke with someone http://www.topguntexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they said no ball or FMJ even at their pistol range. I asked 3 times.

So thats why I asked if it was only tied to rifle, as most people would think.
(insert clever signature here)

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

I am not sure how they are still in buisnees after the 1 million dollars judgment for the homeowner who was shot on his lawnmower.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

1s1k52 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:Looks like the same rules as the Eagle Peak Range north of Austin. No hardball applies to rifles only.
Eagle Peak adn Garland are same company.
Dave2 wrote:K... probably a stupid question here but... What's the difference between hardball and FMJ? I thought they were the same...
Technically ball is FMJ. The proper thing to say here is the range will not allow FMJ rifle ammo, but ball (FMJ) pistol ammo is allowed. The main difference is they don't want armor piercing rounds or FMJ due to it tearing up the berm from the higher velocity of the rifle. Pistol rounds are much lower velocity and don't cause as much issue.
One would think all of this is true. However, I spoke with someone http://www.topguntexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they said no ball or FMJ even at their pistol range. I asked 3 times.

So they expect you to practice with JHP? That's not really an economically viable option for me...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

1s1k52 wrote: One would think all of this is true. However, I spoke with someone http://www.topguntexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they said no ball or FMJ even at their pistol range. I asked 3 times.

Ask them to show you what ammo they sell to people to use when shooting for 9mm and .45. What they may be calling 'ball ammo' and not allowing is mil-surplus type ammo as in the steel cased eastern block Czech stuff (Wolf, Brown Bear, etc.) Some of that does not have a lead core, but is actually bi-metal. I will bet if you went in with a box of 9MM Winchester White Box ammo it would be allowed on the pistol range.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

The website says no FMJ RIFLE ammo. It says nthing about pistol ammo. This is the same rules set as Eagle Peak.

bunkysdad
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bunkysdad »

At the Garland Range the main reason for the no FMJ rule is due to ricochets. The improvements made to comply with the terms of the Rowlett lawsuit are very nice. The berm was doubled in height to 20 feet and a canopy added that basically eliminates blue sky in your line of sight to the target on the rifle range.

jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

This may seem a silly question, but are they anticipating that soft point bullets, or hollow point will break up on the berm, as opposed to FMJ being more intact? And if that is so are they anticipating that the SP and JHP bullets will not travel as far once impacting the berm?

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

FMJ rifle rounds that hit short (like at 25 to 50 yards) of the target (at 100 yards) are prone to skip, where HP and SP are more prone to disfigure and tumble much lower.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “Shooting Ranges”