Hays County Range Challenged

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Hays County Range Challenged

Post by JALLEN »

I saw a headline in the New Braunfels Herald this morning about a challenge to a range now being built in Hays County, just over the Comal County line.

A firing range being built just off I-35 on the Comal-Hays county line is raising concerns among neighbors and county officials.

“Bullets can travel a mile,” said T.K. Schneider, whose acreage abuts the gun range, located on Old Bastrop Road in a rural area dotted with ranch homes and an occasional commercial operation. The firing range is about a mile northeast of Paradise Palms Garden Center along I-35 near York Creek.
Subscription required to view the rest of the article. Anybody have the details? Is this the one that was reputedly in formation a year or so ago?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

stash
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hays County Range Challenged

Post by stash »

Just caught the tail end of a radio news report this morning and what I thought I heard was the range is being built and neighbors are complaining. JALLEN - this report has yours beat by 4 miles. A complainer said that a bullet can travel 5 miles.I really hope this happens (not a bullet traveling 5 miles). We sure do need a place to shoot in Hays county. This would be in the opposite end of the county for me but I will go if it happens. Anyone in the area know anything about this?
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I saw a letter to the Editor in the New Braunfels Herald about this range the other day which was the most hysterical, bleeding heart, emotional, sobbing, absurd nonsense I can ever recall seeing on newsprint. It is subscriber only or I would post a link. The letter was from Sheliah Schneider of San Marcos.

The only thing that wasn't mentioned was how they were going to line up everyone's grandkids and shoot them.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

longdog

Post by longdog »

I agree w/Stash. We need a range in Hays county. Hope to see you there JAllen.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

There is work going on to set up an organization and range in North Hays County:

http://www.txhcssc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

stash

Post by stash »

Well this is good news for Hays County. Looks like we will have a range to go to in the county. According to the newspaper the range will be allowed to open per a judges ruling.

Good job and thank you Mr. Cotton.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

stash wrote:Just caught the tail end of a radio news report this morning and what I thought I heard was the range is being built and neighbors are complaining. JALLEN - this report has yours beat by 4 miles. A complainer said that a bullet can travel 5 miles.I really hope this happens (not a bullet traveling 5 miles). We sure do need a place to shoot in Hays county. This would be in the opposite end of the county for me but I will go if it happens. Anyone in the area know anything about this?
They can also shoot down planes and blow up trains according to Jesse Jackson.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Truth be told, we all want a convenient gun range, but no one wants a Public gun range in their backyard.

I hope the range makes it (I will want to go for sure) but can't help but sympathize for the neighbors who'll have to listen to it and worry about property value when time comes for them to sell.

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

ghostrider wrote:There is work going on to set up an organization and range in North Hays County:

I hear this range in North Hays County is working on getting things together soon. Keep an ear open for some news some time in early 2014.
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

stash

Post by stash »

Trilogy wrote:
ghostrider wrote:There is work going on to set up an organization and range in North Hays County:

I hear this range in North Hays County is working on getting things together soon. Keep an ear open for some news some time in early 2014.
Hope this happens. I have been following this one for the last couple years. This one will be closer to me then the one in South Hays.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

longdog

Post by longdog »

I sure hope this range opens soon. I miss shooting. I was fortunate to belong to PSC outside of Friendswood for many years and didn't know how lucky I was. When I retired to Wimberley, the lack of a range made me appreciate what I had lost.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Truth be told, we all want a convenient gun range, but no one wants a Public gun range in their backyard.

I hope the range makes it (I will want to go for sure) but can't help but sympathize for the neighbors who'll have to listen to it and worry about property value when time comes for them to sell.
I won't lie. I would not want an outdoor range in my neighborhood. At least not close enough that I have to hear a volley of gunfire from morning till night. I certainly would not buy a home within earshot of a range.

Chief4

Post by Chief4 »

I live just outside Ft. Hood and not far from small arms and machine gun range and after living here for 15 years don't even notice them any more - it is only when they are using the near by artillery firing point do I notice. So a range near where I was looking to buy a house would not be a deal breaker. As I think about it might be a deal maker.
Chief4
Retired US Army (22Apr68 - 31Dec02)
Life Member NRA
Life Member TSRA

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

Chief4,

When I was stationed at Ft. Hood anyone could drive down the range roads as it was an open base back then. Farmers were even allowed animals on some of the land. Is this still the case?

Sorry OP for going off topic.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Chief4 wrote:I live just outside Ft. Hood and not far from small arms and machine gun range and after living here for 15 years don't even notice them any more - it is only when they are using the near by artillery firing point do I notice. So a range near where I was looking to buy a house would not be a deal breaker. As I think about it might be a deal maker.
Welcome to the forum. :cheers2:

If a person does not mind the noise and gunfire, I bet they could score a better deal on a house near a range. More house for the money is not always a bad thing.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”