New Range in Austin area ( Buda )

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: New Range in Austin area ( Buda )

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can't talk about an ongoing case other than to say I'm representing the range.

Chas.
Come back with your judgement or upon it!

stash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stash »

This mornings paper indicates that a state judge last Fri. issued a order for the range to remain closed until trial set for the end of Oct.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

RustES
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RustES »

:mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

That just plain outright sucks.....cant even open a gun range in Texas....what the hell is this place comming too :mad5

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

RustES wrote::mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

That just plain outright sucks.....cant even open a gun range in Texas....what the heck is this place comming too :mad5
That depends on the circumstances though doesn't it. I wouldn't want a public gun range opening right next to me and would fight it too. The noise, especially if they're talking rifles, would be intolerable. If I move next to one, thats on me. But if one comes in next to me thats on them. :fire
Last edited by Cedar Park Dad on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HKMike
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HKMike »

It's sad that a business has to remain closed for at least nine months until they have their day in court. I'm sure time and money went into opening the range, and now it has no chance to produce income.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

That just plain outright sucks.....cant even open a gun range in Texas....what the heck is this place comming too :mad5
That depends on the circumstances though doesn't it. I wouldn't want a public gun range opening right next to me and would fight it too. The noise, especially if they're talking rifles, would be intolerable. If I move next to one, thats on me. But if one comes in next to me thats on them. :fire
Not really. Cities cannot regulate "sport shooting ranges," other than setting business hours. Even then, the hours must be the most liberal enjoyed by any business within the city limits, exclusive of establishments with a license to sell or serve alcohol on premises. So if there is one all-night pharmacy or gas station, then the range gets to operate 24 hours a day. Counties cannot even regulate business hours. So you can fight all you want, but you'll lose.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Not really. Cities cannot regulate "sport shooting ranges," other than setting business hours. Even then, the hours must be the most liberal enjoyed by any business within the city limits, exclusive of establishments with a license to sell or serve alcohol on premises. So if there is one all-night pharmacy or gas station, then the range gets to operate 24 hours a day. Counties cannot even regulate business hours. So you can fight all you want, but you'll lose.

Chas.
They seem to be winning in Buda.
EDIT: If it were an indoor range I wouldn't care one way or the other, or f its in an area away from residences, or if the residences build up aroudn it. But the carte blanche view that you would never have a problem is naive.

If a new outdoor range opens up right next to a residential neighborhood and permeates the neighborhood with the joyful noise of gunfire (starting to remind me of pleasant evenings in Pomona, Ca. ah the sweet sound of gunfire, sirens, and thundering helicopters) then you may change your mind. You have the right to enjoy your property. You do not have the right to harm me or the enjoyment of my property.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Chas.
They seem to be winning in Buda.
They got a temporary injunction only; Plaintiffs will lose the suit.
Cedar Park Dad wrote:EDIT: If it were an indoor range I wouldn't care one way or the other, or f its in an area away from residences, or if the residences build up aroudn it. But the carte blanche view that you would never have a problem is naive.
I don't know what you mean by "never have a problem is naive" but you really should read the law before claiming you'd have grounds to "fight."
Cedar Park Dad wrote:If a new outdoor range opens up right next to a residential neighborhood and permeates the neighborhood with the joyful noise of gunfire (starting to remind me of pleasant evenings in Pomona, Ca. ah the sweet sound of gunfire, sirens, and thundering helicopters) then you may change your mind.
First, it isn't next to a neighborhood; have a look at Google Earth. Secondly, it's not a matter of changing my mind; you'd have to change the law that was passed in 2011 and that isn't going to happen.
Cedar Park Dad wrote:You have the right to enjoy your property. You do not have the right to harm me or the enjoyment of my property.
No one is being harmed and since SB766 prohibits all suits against "sport shooting ranges" based on nuisance claims, then your enjoyment argument fails, as a matter of law.

I'm not sure why you want to make it sound like the range was put in a neighborhood, because it certainly wasn't. Also, the property has been used for recreational shooting for many years; it's not something that just opened.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I didn't say the Buda range specifically. I stated that not every instance of a range opening up is something a neighbor would welcome. I then listed my hypotheticals and refined that down to a range opening up near a residential neighborhood.

I don't know the details about the Buda range, but it doesn't matter to my argument either. I'll further restate that I wish them well.

RustES
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RustES »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

I don't know if you have seen the Shooters Ranch in buda or not, but I shot there during the short while it was open. The nearest house that I can see looks to be 500+ yards away. This place is no where near any neighborhood. Its all country. The place was clean, safe, the folks that worked there were great and very nice. It very much saddens me that I wont be able to shoot there until October. I will continue to go to Lone Star in Lytton Springs and Reds here in Austin, but I will miss the Shooters Ranch....until it reopens.

Long live the Shooters Ranch...Molon Labe :rules:

Return to “Shooting Ranges”