Bass Pro Range - No Longer CHL Friendly - SCRATCH THAT!!!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Braden
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Braden »

jimlongley wrote:If they still ask what you are going to shoot, etc, and they don't see a gun box, they may well make the assumption that you are carrying and the bold portion leaves enough "wiggle" room to cause me to think twice about it.
I don't understand what you're saying. Why would you think twice about it? He was pretty clear, I thought, that they do not intend to "check" the guns of CHL holders and LEO's who are going to the range. :?:
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Topic author
Braden

Post by Braden »

Just to reiterate:

Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine, Texas is CHL FRIENDLY.

This was all based on a misunderstanding of company policy by an associate who worked there. :)

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

It sounds like this BPS manager has his head on straight.

The greatest danger for a UD is when clearing and/or reloading. If any business (gunshow, etc.) expects me to clear at their public entryway, or in the parking lot, they're A) fools; and, B) mistaken that I need anything in their store.

Kevin

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Braden wrote:Stevie, I think you misunderstood what he said. Read the part of his e-mail that I put in bold print. If you have a CHL, they will not even ask to see your firearm (assuming you are wearing it).
Yeah, that was my bad...I tend to skim through some stuff sometimes...I should not have said what I did without fully comprehending what that manager had written back to you...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gigag04 wrote:Yeah, Stevie - even my range here wont let you fire a pistol from concealment, like, break concealment to bring out a loaded pistol from a holseter. If I were to do that I would go to the bathroom, disarm, unload, lock slide, put ammo up, and carry it to the range counter.

FYI - I got a similiar email from the magaer of BPS as well. Seems like a real nice guy that was really alarmed when his email box was filled full of emails threatening his store's lively hood. It's good that he got it corrected and I'm sure that associate at the counter got an ear full from his higher as soon as the flood gates of email rants were opened. The manager supports the 2A and they are a store I would go to knowing what I do now.

-nick
No, I understand what you are saying...I know most ranges are "cold" unless your on the firing line...Thats common sense...No problem...

I guess you might have thought I meant "draw" from a literal engagement premise...I didn't mean that...

I also think its outstanding that the management (after getting all these emails) went to the trouble to even clarify its position...My misunderstanding was a holdover from their initial policy that created all the bru-ha-ha in the first place...

I'm actually glad it appears to be nothing more than a misunderstanding (mostly on my part)...That has been addressed and corrected...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KBCraig wrote:It sounds like this BPS manager has his head on straight.

The greatest danger for a UD is when clearing and/or reloading. If any business (gunshow, etc.) expects me to clear at their public entryway, or in the parking lot, they're A) fools; and, B) mistaken that I need anything in their store.

Kevin
See that my big rub at gunshows...If they are going to inact a policy of rendering all guns unloaded upon the entry into the facility, is it any safer to clear the pistol in the parking lot, or at the front desk before you gain entry to the event...

Either which, you might as well leave the thing loaded, and (secure) in your vehicle out in the parking lot...

At which time I don't see an advantage or "real" purpose to either situation...

Because we still hear of many instances of ND's at gunshows and other events...And it always seems to be from "vendors", or other exempted attendee's, at these events...And not so often a "regular" customer that has a problem...

But if we continue to do this, and it does have a measurable safety factor improvement, then I suppose thats ok...But not from a standpoint of initial mistrust of the common folk...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Braden

Post by Braden »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Braden wrote:Stevie, I think you misunderstood what he said. Read the part of his e-mail that I put in bold print. If you have a CHL, they will not even ask to see your firearm (assuming you are wearing it).
Yeah, that was my bad...I tend to skim through some stuff sometimes...I should not have said what I did without fully comprehending what that manager had written back to you...
No problem. I do the same thing. Sometimes I'll read the first part of a post and I'll be so anxious to respond to it that I don't pay much attention to the rest of it. :roll:

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Braden wrote:
Renegade wrote:Correct, but they also expect you to keep it concealed the entire time you are in the store. So that means no shooting it at the range.

The issue here is if you want to shoot your CHL gun, you need to remove/unload it from your person before entering the store.
I don't think that's the case at all since, prior to today, I have entered many, many times with a concealed and loaded handgun for the sole purpose of going to the range to shoot. It wasn't until today that it has ever been a problem...and that problem was apparently caused by a misinformed associate.

The manager never says anywhere in his e-mail to me that you cannot shoot your carry gun at the range.

What you have to realize is that the context of this message is speaking entirely about going to their range to shoot.
YMMV.

Of the three times I have gone in the last two years or so, that is what I have been told.

Topic author
Braden

Post by Braden »

Maybe you talked to the same misinformed associate that I did then. :?

Return to “Shooting Ranges”