Thunder Gun Range in Conroe

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JLaw
Posts in topic: 2

Thunder Gun Range in Conroe

Post by JLaw »

Anyone ever shot at Thunder Gun Range in Conroe. More importantly, anyone out there shoot IDPA at Thunder Range? Looking for information from you.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

I have shot at Thunder a couple of times. It isn't a bad range. They too, are grownign and improving thier facilities. The personel seem like good folks. I don't perticularly like the setup they have for rifles. I am not a big fan of shooting under a barrier. Not sure what the point of this is, but it seems to be a common practice. Thier pistol setup is nice. Can't offer an opinion about the shotgun range as I haven't gotten into that facet of shooting yet. I don't recall range fees, but they were comparable to other ranges in the area. For some reason they are only open on the weekends during the summer, which is the main reason that I don't patronize this range more frequently.

While I haven't shot IDPA there, I did observe one of the Wednesday club matches. It was a lot of fun. Everyone was very terrific and I was treated like a member of the group. I am hoping to get out and participate soon now that I finally have some gear. Two of the people who run the IDPA there are regular posters on this board. They are fine people and I'm sure they will be along shortly to answer any questions that you may have.

Paging SRVA or CompVest. You have a question.

DMG

Post by DMG »

There is IDPA shooting at Thunder every Wed. night at 630p, and on the 2nd Saturday of the month at 900a. A safe and friendly group of shooters exhibiting good shooting skills, with some interesting and challenging scenarios. I have been going out frequently and really enjoy it there.

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

JLaw, The Thunder IDPA group formed about three years ago and has been running continously since then. We have a monthly 8 scenario match on the second Saturday of each month. We have a 6 scenario match every Wednesday evening starting at 6:30. We have practice sessions most Saturdays (except for the 1st Saturday) and every Sunday after 10:00. On the 5th Saturday of any month that has one, we do a fun shoot which may be back-up-gun, rimfire, carbine, or something else fun.

If you show up, plan on shooting. Our normal procedure is to give a safety orientation, then pair new shooters with experienced shooters for the match. Seems to work out pretty well for us.

IDPA is a great way to learn gun handling skills in the stress of competition.

If you are interested, give me a call. Contact information is posted on http://www.tts-idps.net.

Topic author
JLaw
Posts in topic: 2

SRVA

Post by JLaw »

What gear is needed to participate? I haven't spent a lot on high quality holsters or the like. What is the cost and how much ammo should I plan on shooting during any one practice/event?

JLaw

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

JLaw, Regarding holsters and mag carriers, bring what you have. As long as it will hold the firearm in a safe manner it is usable. After you shoot a couple ot times, you'll be able to make some well informed decisions on what works and what you will want to purchase.

Cost for our Monthly match is $15 and the weekly match is $12. $8 of that fee goes to the range owner with the remainder to the club.

Our monthly match is usually about 100 rounds with the weekly match running about 75.

Sunday practice is another thing. Cost is $12 but you will need to bring more ammunition. We generally shoot a minimum of 150-200.

Hope to see you soon.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

SRVA wrote:We generally shoot a minimum of 150-200.
Must be nice!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Shooting Ranges”