Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

freindly range in San Antonio

Post by powerboatr »

http://www.bullethole.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we were visiting SA for a three weeks and needed a place to enjoy some trigger time
we found it online and they were very friendly and we enjoyed our visit
great rangemasters
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

DevilDawg

Re: freindly range in San Antonio

Post by DevilDawg »

The only problem we have had there is the wait, and they will not pre-sell you the private lane so you can come back. Due to this we went a little further and found Blackhawks Shooting Range. Old, old and probably cash only. However great little range where you could easily begin to enjoy the country solitude. Plus anywhere that has Tim Duncan on their webpage has to be ok. :txflag:

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

DevilDawg wrote:The only problem we have had there is the wait, and they will not pre-sell you the private lane so you can come back. Due to this we went a little further and found Blackhawks Shooting Range. Old, old and probably cash only. However great little range where you could easily begin to enjoy the country solitude. Plus anywhere that has Tim Duncan on their webpage has to be ok. :txflag:
:iagree: Blackhawk is a nice range. I went to a place to shoot then tried the bullet hole and went back to a place to shoot because of the wait. A place to shoot is a good range but they didnt let me shoot my five seven so it was time to look for another range. I decided to go to the Blackhawk which is where I shot for my chl. Been going there ever since.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

timsatx

Post by timsatx »

I am a big proponent of the Blackhawk Shooting Range. I like the fact that I can shoot at my own pace and I have nobody standing over my shoulder telling me what/when/how to do something. It is pretty much self policing. If there is a problem you can let the owners know and they will handle it but I have never had to do that.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Blackhawk is my favorite and it's 70 mi. round trip vs. one six mi up the road another two I pass on the way to Blackhawk. Nice environment, nice people, nice range, reasonable price - can't ask for much more. I generally go on week days and seldom crowded. :fire

meddafuxa

Post by meddafuxa »

I went to a place to shoot. They were nice and good price.

HKsig
Posts in topic: 4

Post by HKsig »

I'm pretty regular at A Place To Shoot. They're pretty strict but that provides safety to the members and their families. The ROs are very helpful and the store pretty well stocked. I like this place.

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

Last weekend I had the pleasure of taking one of my nephews to A Place To Shoot. He's only 18 but has aspirations of being in the CSU of SAPD one day. He has even joined the Explorers program. There wasn't many people there since it was when they first opened up and rainy weather. The staff there made us feel very welcome and treated us well. I also liked that the Glock 43 is under $500, aaannnddd they have a 60-day layaway!! :hurry:

The ONLY thing I wasn't too fond of, was the pistol range. It's a gravity/weight type pulley system. Although I don't prefer it, it wasn't a game changer. We had a great time! Still plan to go back to take the Mrs. :mrgreen: :fire
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

HKsig

Post by HKsig »

LOL, yeah that pulley system sucks.

deadbug
Posts in topic: 3

Post by deadbug »

I actually like the pulley system; nice to have at an outdoor range--you can vary your distance at any increment out to 17 yards during your shooting as well as swap targets and nobody has to call a cease fire as in other outdoor ranges where you walk out to the target. Or, worse yet at other outdoor ranges I've been to, if other shooters want to shoot at 7 yards and you want to shoot at the 15 or 25 yard line--you can't.

So yeah, I like the pulley system--it's one of the reasons I go there so often; and I've been to nearly all of the outdoor ranges in San Antonio. I also like the swamp cooler in the summer and...oh yeah...the floor-to-ceiling carpeted partitions between shooters so that you're not hit with your neighbors ejected brass (just your own sometimes;-). Really like the folks that work there too.

Also, they just replaced all of the old spotting scopes on the rifle range with some good ones you can actually use when zeroing in your scopes.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

deadbug wrote:I actually like the pulley system; nice to have at an outdoor range--you can vary your distance at any increment out to 17 yards during your shooting as well as swap targets and nobody has to call a cease fire as in other outdoor ranges where you walk out to the target. Or, worse yet at other outdoor ranges I've been to, if other shooters want to shoot at 7 yards and you want to shoot at the 15 or 25 yard line--you can't.

So yeah, I like the pulley system--it's one of the reasons I go there so often; and I've been to nearly all of the outdoor ranges in San Antonio. I also like the swamp cooler in the summer and...oh yeah...the floor-to-ceiling carpeted partitions between shooters so that you're not hit with your neighbors ejected brass (just your own sometimes;-). Really like the folks that work there too.

Also, they just replaced all of the old spotting scopes on the rifle range with some good ones you can actually use when zeroing in your scopes.
Deadbug, do you work at A Place to Shoot? Your first post saying all the pros about it just has me wondering. Usually first posts are introductions or questions.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Anyone have recent experience with Cedar Ridge on the northside ?
I really like their prices and no gun limit and ability to back up to the lane and it is close to me.

The reviews are mostly terrible, even going back 5 years. Owner behavior related.
You may have the last word.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I'm a member at Cedar Ridge. I also shoot carbine and IDPA matches there with Texas Tactical. I haven't read the reviews but whatever they say about the owners is probably true. I can relate to range owners who are concerned about the potential for someone with poor gun handling skills doing something dumb and getting them shut down, I think they go overboard. Rules are somewhat restrictive but I've also been to ranges where you couldn't draw from a holster and some that wouldn't even let you wear a holster. I was there one day about 45 before closing and was told that they were closing early because no one was there. You can police your own brass but you'll be banned if you are collecting brass. All that said, facilities are decent and they are close to my house.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

HKsig

Post by HKsig »

I think the ranges had to become more restrictive because of their insurance breathing down their necks.

deadbug
Posts in topic: 3

Post by deadbug »

Javier730 wrote: Deadbug, do you work at A Place to Shoot? Your first post saying all the pros about it just has me wondering. Usually first posts are introductions or questions.
No, I am in no way affiliated with A Place To Shoot. I do however go there almost every week to shoot on the pistol range and have taken my LEO son there a couple of times to shoot on the rifle range as well. I've been to three other of the areas most popular outdoor ranges to shoot as well as the Nardis Gun Club indoor range, and felt I could add that perspective to people looking for a good range. It is my favorite outdoor range.

As far as a first post...well, I've been reading the forums since August, but really didn't feel that I had much to add until I got to this discussion. I've been very active on other forums, so it just seemed natural to jump right in. Sorry...no conspiracy here :lol:

Return to “Shooting Ranges”