is there public land outside city limits near Tarrant county ,Tx people can legally go and discharge a few rifle rounds?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ctownsend7410
Posts in topic: 1

is there public land outside city limits near Tarrant county ,Tx people can legally go and discharge a few rifle rounds?

Post by ctownsend7410 »

Hmmm.... Not sure I am doing this correctly, and am a bit perplexed by the cartoon smiley faces and vague option choices up top, but I'm wanting to learn of any public land outside city limits near Tarrant county Tx that I can go without paying fees and can legally shoot a few rifle rounds at? Can anybody tell me ? When I was a kid it seemed like there were an abundance of places like that but now I can't get any answers .

JALLEN

Re: is there public land outside city limits near Tarrant county ,Tx people can legally go and discharge a few rifle rou

Post by JALLEN »

What is "public land?"
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: is there public land outside city limits near Tarrant county ,Tx people can legally go and discharge a few rifle rou

Post by puma guy »

Probably not. You'll most likely have to go to a shooting range. There are few places you can gain access to shoot. We used to go to National Forests in east Texas, but I'd check to be sure what rules and restrictions are in place. Hunting is allowed in NF and the state has public lands for hunting as well. I'm sure some others will chime in. Welcome to the forum.

Just thought I'd add that if you find a property owner is kind enough to allow you on their land to shoot many counties surrounding metropolitan areas require the shooter/s to have a daily written permission notice from the property owner.

Edited to add: Here's a link forom the USDA for NF. Not detailed but it dowes reference designated shooting areas. Sam Houston National Forest used to have a range.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/program ... come.shtml
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Yes, please check into it before you shoot anywhere.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

george wrote:The banks of rivers are still public land, I believe.

We used to shoot where the road crossed the water. Under the bridge over the Brazos (?) in Washington county (could be mistaken), on the Pecos around Iraan, the banks of the Sabine at Kilgore, and even under the highway 59 bridge over the river between Houston and Rosenberg (I wouldn't try that now).

Check into it.
Texsquatch wrote:Yes, please check into it before you shoot anywhere.
:iagree: Check first!

Property a bridge with a state highway does belong to the state, but access and parking would most likely be a kill factor even if shooting were allowed after considering other factors, i'e. proximity to landowner's buildings, livestock, no shooting across fences, lead going into a river, etc. There are other many other factor to consider.

This thread should be posted in a different heading, maybe "shooting ranges"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

equin

Post by equin »

Short answer: Not that I'm aware of. Closest public land where shooting may be legally allowed is probably LBJ Grasslands, but I believe it may only be for shotgun shooting, not rifle or pistol, and that's if any such shooting is even allowed. I would check their district office to be sure, though.
Ed

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

State of TX public land is for Hunting only. One cannot target shoot there, in Hunting season or otherwise. There is also a $55 annual fee to get access.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Shooting Ranges”