Range to shoot my ar

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Nuts
Posts in topic: 4

Range to shoot my ar

Post by Nuts »

Just finished my first at build last week and went out to baileys house of guns on Saturday. Shot it and it functions ok but I could only load one round at a time. I need to find a range that I can run full mags to check their function. Sense it's chambered in 7.62x39 I really need to make sure everything works 100%.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range to shoot my ar

Post by RoyGBiv »

If you're looking for some place local, might be a good idea to let us know roughly where you live.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Sorry, I live near 288 and hwy 6.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.psc-range.com

Pearland Shooting Club, about 13 miles from the intersection of 288 and 6.

It's a private range, but from what I remember, membership is pretty affordable.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Are you looking for outdoor/indoor range ? Does it matter ?

Not sure if the distance would be what you are looking for, but there is a outdoor range in the League City area. Its pretty cheap (like 10 bucks per person which includes 1 gun, and 4-5 bucks for each additional gun up to like 4 or 5 - they stop charging after so many but can't remember what the cutoff is) its where I like to go shoot my rifles. Not aware of any caliber or mag limits.

http://www.clearcreekgunrange.com/
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

The Annoyed Man wrote:http://www.psc-range.com

Pearland Shooting Club, about 13 miles from the intersection of 288 and 6.

It's a private range, but from what I remember, membership is pretty affordable.
It is, it is (affordable & nice). So much so, that there's been a waiting list for a few years now.

Arms Room isn't too far and has a good reputation. Call ahead to see if they allow 5.56mm
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Pariah3j wrote:Are you looking for outdoor/indoor range ? Does it matter ?

Not sure if the distance would be what you are looking for, but there is a outdoor range in the League City area. Its pretty cheap (like 10 bucks per person which includes 1 gun, and 4-5 bucks for each additional gun up to like 4 or 5 - they stop charging after so many but can't remember what the cutoff is) its where I like to go shoot my rifles. Not aware of any caliber or mag limits.

I don't mind a little drive if they let me shoot without that single load stuff.

How's American shooting center?

Btw, indoor ranges are just too short. Want at least a 100 yard range.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Nuts wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:Are you looking for outdoor/indoor range ? Does it matter ?

I don't mind a little drive if they let me shoot without that single load stuff.

How's American shooting center?

Btw, indoor ranges are just too short. Want at least a 100 yard range.
American Shooting Center is a great place. The rifle ranges are always less crowded that the pistol area.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

There used to be a public gun range out on the North end of League City, but I don't know if it is still open. The subdivisions were starting to get close to it 10 years ago when I moved out of that area.

Greenwood Gun Club near Brazoria is also full and has a waiting list.

Isn't there a Bayou Rifles somewhere over that way?

There is a public range off FM 2004 just North of FM 523 near Angleton that has a 100 yard range. I don't know it's name.

taylormade

Post by taylormade »

PSC FTW. I live in Sienna and dont mind making the trip.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Nuts wrote:Sorry, I live near 288 and hwy 6.
Usually a town name would be a little more helpful... :biggrinjester:

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

cyphertext wrote:
Nuts wrote:Sorry, I live near 288 and hwy 6.
Usually a town name would be a little more helpful... :biggrinjester:
He's in Houston, south side, pearland area.

I've shot at clear creek. They do have a no rapid fire rule. Shot my AR there. Good place. I've also shot my AR at bestshot in Frienswood. Only about 25yrds though.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

nyj

Post by nyj »

You can only have 1 bullet in your magazine? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.

Topic author
Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Both PSC and bayou rifles are private. Would love to try them out but they have waiting lists to join

So it looks like clear creek or ASC is going to be my next stop.

Thanks for the help

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Nuts wrote:Both PSC and bayou rifles are private. Would love to try them out but they have waiting lists to join

So it looks like clear creek or ASC is going to be my next stop.

Thanks for the help
The PSC waiting list quickly got so large as to be meaningless. We has over 1,100 people on it, more than we had slots for in 4 years. So we closed it and Jim started working it down to zero.

We now have a different approach. Every year we have some Members who do not renew for various reasons. The number of non-renewals is down dramatically as a result of closing membership, so we have anywhere from 250 to 350 annually. After the renewal seasons closes on June 30th each year, we determine the number of open slots and make them available first to "Legacy Members," then to the public. Slots are made available in the form of scheduled "Events" with a 50 person limit for each one. People sign up for these "Orientations" just as they would sign up for a match, seminar or other Club event. When the slots are full, it's over until the end of the next membership year on June 30th.

PSC membership is a family membership including the primary member, their spouse and kids living in the primary member's home up to 21 years of age. The age limit goes to 23 if they are in school. A "Legacy Member" is a person who was part of the PSC family, but no longer are due to death, divorce or simply growing up.

Chas.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”