Range reccomendation for Frisco/Lewisvile area?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rentz
Posts in topic: 8

Range reccomendation for Frisco/Lewisvile area?

Post by rentz »

I think im looking to move ranges, been a member at Frisco gun club since they opened and it has gotten nearly impossible to get a pistol lane without a reservation now on the weekends. The waits are never less than 1hr as a member and I don't want to pay for that any more. up till the last 6months I could stroll in on sunday morning and get in no problems but they are pumping memberships so hard now the place is flooded with people as soon as its open. Not to mention there is barely any firearms selection to use my member discount on

I've been to eagle range before it seemed nice, anyone know how bad waits are there on the weekends?
Any other ranges? I'm not regretting passing up on DPC when they opened up slots last year.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range reccomendation for Frisco/Lewisvile area?

Post by Richbirdhunter »

It's at FM 1171 and 35 but I really enjoy it. http://www.proactivedefense.net/
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Eagle can get a bit long in the afternoon. Great place otherwise. I think they can stack their LTC qualification onto the lanes so that can cause a big higher of a wait.

I agree on Frisco though, it's gotten bonkers. I can't imagine paying for a membership there now. I got there at open last Sunday and there were probably 40 people waiting for the doors to open, it was insane.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:It's at FM 1171 and 35 but I really enjoy it. http://www.proactivedefense.net/
I've taken their pistol classes and enjoyed them. Never just gone out there to shoot, because I live too far away.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

timtheteacher wrote:Yes..I have been thinking about this as well. The last time we went to Frisco Gun Range we waited 2 hours as a member. They also had 8 lanes blocked for LTC qualifications and no one was on them the entire wait. Didn't make sense at all. It really doesn't matter whether you go at night or the weekend as the crowd is always there. They are running LTC classes weekly that are 100+ and the lane availability has shrunken considerably this last year. Time to look for somewhere else as they obviously don't need my dollars.
My thoughts exactly! And I'm grandfathered in to the rate prior to opening too
The range also moved from per hour rate to a flat per day rate which likely keeps non members on lanes longer.

As the guy was telling me today how long the wait was I could see at least 4 completely vacant lanes all in a row and now one kitting up to go in either. Which either means people reserving times and not showing but they keep them as taken or they are holding them for classes.

Though from texasjohnboy says eagle may not be much better as far as waits go

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

Richbirdhunter wrote:It's at FM 1171 and 35 but I really enjoy it. http://www.proactivedefense.net/
Hmm a bit further hike than I'd like but I may check it out one weekend, never heard of it but looks nice based on the site

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

timtheteacher wrote:Just got back and at 4:00 there was a full house waiting in the small cafe, customers waiting at the gun counters and a line wanting to sign up on the wait list. Membership renewal is cancelled. Looks like I am going back to http://www.shootsmart.com/ in Grand Prairie. They actually have a way to sign up for a lane online and allow 2 per range for a decent price.
Yes what bothers me most is they keep pushing the memberships but can't accommodate the members they have! And today I was told to reserve lanes with my membership but that's phone or in person only and there's always a bit of a hold time on the phone online signup would suit me fine.

And I don't understand the lines at the gun counter they have nearly nothing to sale esp at a decent price

I went to that range in Grand Prairie under the original ownership before all these up here opened it was nice but quite a drive

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

timtheteacher wrote:Yes..I have been thinking about this as well. The last time we went to Frisco Gun Range we waited 2 hours as a member. They also had 8 lanes blocked for LTC qualifications and no one was on them the entire wait. Didn't make sense at all. It really doesn't matter whether you go at night or the weekend as the crowd is always there. They are running LTC classes weekly that are 100+ and the lane availability has shrunken considerably this last year. Time to look for somewhere else as they obviously don't need my dollars.
Same. I am Platinum Founding Member and today I had to wait 2.5 hrs. Moreover, they are forcing 1-hr limit (50min you get 10 min warning) I shot 15 rds before I was asked to pack and leave. I had to setup my Chrono in the same time.

Before they started their training division, I could have used 2hr to 2.5hrs time slot with no problem at all.
I will stick with the FGC for 2016.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

timtheteacher wrote:Just got back and at 4:00 there was a full house waiting in the small cafe, customers waiting at the gun counters and a line wanting to sign up on the wait list. Membership renewal is cancelled. Looks like I am going back to http://www.shootsmart.com/ in Grand Prairie. They actually have a way to sign up for a lane online and allow 2 per range for a decent price.
I was there. You may have seen me ;) The guy with Cammo Jacket.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

camjr

Post by camjr »

I love shooting at Eagle in Lewisville, but then again I live about 7-8 blocks away...

It's a bit busy right now, but it will settle down as we get past the holidays and the POTUS gun grab of the day statement...

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

well if it wasnt crowded enough before it sure will be now, frisco gun club has 2 groupons out there.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I go to Eagle in Lewisville when I can. Its been a while, need to get back to it soon.
NRA Life Member

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I also pretty much exclusively use Eagle in Lewisville. The ONLY time I had to go to another range was 2 weekends ago because the line to get into Eagle was around the corner and it hadn't even opened yet for the day. Other than that one time, Eagle is pretty solid on getting you in pretty quickly.

I know it's not in Frisco / Lewisville area, but I've also had great luck with Elm Fork Gun Range near Las Colinas. Never had to wait more than about 10 minutes to get on a lane. Elm Fork is outdoor though, if that makes a difference to you.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”