Never realy liked any range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mcub
Posts in topic: 3

Never realy liked any range

Post by mcub »

Many years ago I tried an indoor range in South Houston, some of the other shoots there made me nervous.

I started getting back into guns last year and went to Hot Wells, They not only wouldn’t let me post my own targets, they wanted more to post mine, than to post the one's they sale. Plus they wouldn’t let me sight my revolver's scope on the rifle range, since I paid for the pistol range.

I tried American Shooting Center, a lovely place ,a long dirve; with tolls and the range officers kept walking up behind everyone. I don’t like people hovering over me.
I was going to try Top Gun, but they where a bit heavy on the CHL sales, and frankly seems preoccupied with defense classes.
PSC?, they seem booked with contests and events every weekend.

308nato

Post by 308nato »

I shoot at Hot Wells a lot when the weather is a little cooler and they
know me there and a few weeks ago me and a friend were the only
ones there and they let us put some Shoot and See targets over the ones there on the 50 yard range.
Later as a few more people showed up and the called a halt so they could
replace targets for the new shooters we asked if they could put some on the 100 yd for us and they said no problem .
they have always been very nice and helpful when I have been there.
Maybe you just hit them at a bad time .

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Public ranges are always going to be restrictive for the sake of safety, and they have to cover their costs somehow.

I belong to a membership club. I'm frequently the only one there, and I could shoot while riding a unicycle if I wanted to (and if I could ride a unicycle).

If it's important enough to you, you need to buy your own land. Plenty of nice parcels are available southeast of Houston for under $100,000.

- Jim

308nato

Post by 308nato »

SEAMUSTX
Shoot and ride a unicycle I would pay to see that. :grin:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

308nato wrote:Shoot and ride a unicycle I would pay to see that. :grin:
It would be a challenge, wouldn't it? But people do incredible things when they are determined.

- Jim

308nato

Post by 308nato »

If you start to practise now maybe we can see that happen at
the forum day in Sept. :grin:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm not good at any activity that requires me to balance on anything but my backside or my two left feet.

- Jim

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Never realy liked any range

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mcub wrote:PSC?, they seem booked with contests and events every weekend.
While PSC does have a variety of matches, there are always ranges open for the general membership to shoot. The largest matches are the monthly IDPA and IPSC matches and both of these matches leave at least one pistol bay and the steel plate rack open for shooting.

Feel free to come to the next IPSC (3rd Sat.) or IDPA (4th Sat.) matches and see what is available to shoot during the match.

Chas.

Xander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Xander »

Pardon my ignorance...
mcub wrote: I was going to try Top Gun, but they where a bit heavy on the CHL sales, and frankly seems preoccupied with defense classes.
But what effect does that have on one's experience at the range there?

-Xander

Topic author
mcub

Post by mcub »

The effect, at least to me was the 15.00 dollar an hour fee, plus the gentleman as much as told me if I was there when the sections of the range where needed by their other users I'd have to leave. In short I was only shopping around for a part, but it was made clear they were primary there for classes and not individual shooters.

Xander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Xander »

mcub wrote:The effect, at least to me was the 15.00 dollar an hour fee, plus the gentleman as much as told me if I was there when the sections of the range where needed by their other users I'd have to leave. In short I was only shopping around for a part, but it was made clear they were primary there for classes and not individual shooters.

Ah...Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

-Xander

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

mcub wrote: PSC?, they seem booked with contests and events every weekend.
mcub,
I'd like to add to what Charles said ...
PSC has 8 pistol ranges, and it is exceedingly rare that ALL of them are taken up on any given day. We have a number of matches, but most use only one or two bays. And matches, even the bigger ones, are usually wrapped up by 1 or 2 pm.
We also have 2 rifle ranges. If a match is scheduled on one, the other is left open for general membership shooting.
Thanx,
TraCoun

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

mcub,
This range is north of Baytown/Highlands in Crosby. It's a private range and isn't very crowded, but you wouldn't have the options you have at PSC.
http://www.basctx.org./

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the IDPA pistol bays like PSC, which gives a shooter more realistic practice.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
mcub

Clarification

Post by mcub »

I really didn’t mean to sound like I was complaining, I'm just nervous around other people with guns, hence my tag line. I haven’t been to the range in South Houston for several years, is it still there?. I quit going there because I did not feel safe around some of the other shooters. I notice no one mentions that range at all now, so I suppose it either has no fans or it out of service. A shame really, as it location and size would seem to be perfect for many residents in the Hobby/Pasadena area.

I'm actualy close to the PSC range area.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion, I hope I was taken to wrong.

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Clarification

Post by KBCraig »

mcub wrote:I really didn’t mean to sound like I was complaining, I'm just nervous around other people with guns, hence my tag line.
I understand your concern. It's one that I share. But you'll be amazed at how good it feels the first time you shoot with a group of people whom you trust.

Kevin

Return to “Shooting Ranges”