Shoot Point Blank in NRH opening Wednesday 9/27/17

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
extremist
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Shoot Point Blank in NRH opening Wednesday 9/27/17

Post by extremist »

LTC Instructors will not be able to use our range for student proficiency testing. Sorry.

Business decision - after all - we are offering LTC classes to that would undermine our classes, as well as the added liability.

It is what it is, and in line with other indoor ranges in the area.

Regards,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
extremist

Post by extremist »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just took a look at the web site. Here are my thoughts.

Pricing seems comparable to most indoor ranges that I have seen. $15 for a half hour, $21 for an hour, for unlimited guns. Extra shooters are $8 (presumably for up to one hour). All rates drop by $3 after your first visit. Gun rentals are attractively priced. A few bucks cheaper than most other places. Annual passes are around $55 a month (factoring in the one free month). This is also in line with most indoor ranges. Basically, if you shoot at least once a week, at the same place, then buy an annual pass.

Rules are a mixed bag.
The good - You can pick up your own brass. It doesn't appear that there are any restrictions on steel or aluminum cased ammo, which is better than most places. No weird restrictions on hollow point, FMJ, or magnum ammo.
The bad - Shotguns limited to slugs only, so a lot of (most?) folks won't be able to shoot their HD shotgun with their actual HD ammo loaded. No drawing from the holster. No rapid fire. Combined, these rules would keep me from using this range.

Net-net, if you are OK with the range rules, for your intended training purpose, then this range seems like a decent option worth checking out, IMHO.
Not sure where you are getting those rates.

Pricing page is here: http://shootpointblank.com/range-pricing/

$5 for extra shooter.
$3 Liability waiver fee - good for one year.
LOTS of weekly range specials, as low as $5 for ladies on Tue.
Keep in mind the Passes are a great deal if you want shoot more than 3 times a month.
If you are Military/LE/Former/Current/First Responders etc - 50% off of passes. See this page: https://www.shoppointblank.com/collections/passes

Plus the range fee until Oct. 13 Mon-Thur is $5. Yes $5.

Grand Opening Oct. 12-14.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 6

Post by sjfcontrol »

extremist wrote:LTC Instructors will not be able to use our range for student proficiency testing. Sorry.

Business decision - after all - we are offering LTC classes to that would undermine our classes, as well as the added liability.

Regards,
James

And so my BLEH stands. :grumble
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

sjfcontrol wrote:
extremist wrote:LTC Instructors will not be able to use our range for student proficiency testing. Sorry.

Regards,
James

And an additional "BLEH" to the other "ranges in the area".
Never Forget. Image

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Salty1 »

sjfcontrol wrote:

Regards,
James

Why is it that you feel a private range that has invested a lot of money in their facility and has hefty insurance premiums should allow others to use their facility for qualifications? Are you willing to carry a million dollar insurance policy to cover any potential liability one of YOUR students may cause at their facility? Would you also undercut their course prices and then expect to use their range? I do not know why any range would allow others to use their facility when they offer LTC courses.....
Salty1

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Are you willing to carry a million dollar insurance policy to cover any potential liability one of YOUR students may cause at their facility?
Yes. I had NRA Instructor insurance, and that policy can name a range to be included. Without the ability to take students to qualify at a range, only range owners (or those with large private properties) need apply and meet all the requirements to be CHL/LTC instructors.

Also, they can believe what they want, but I believe the "business decision" restricting the range use to their own instructors is because they want the students to come to them for training. What they don't recognize is that having outside instructors bringing students into their facility brings in customers who will come back to that facility for future shooting and shopping.

FYI: https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-pr ... uctor-plus
Never Forget. Image

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

extremist wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just took a look at the web site. Here are my thoughts.

Pricing seems comparable to most indoor ranges that I have seen. $15 for a half hour, $21 for an hour, for unlimited guns. Extra shooters are $8 (presumably for up to one hour). All rates drop by $3 after your first visit. Gun rentals are attractively priced. A few bucks cheaper than most other places. Annual passes are around $55 a month (factoring in the one free month). This is also in line with most indoor ranges. Basically, if you shoot at least once a week, at the same place, then buy an annual pass.
Not sure where you are getting those rates.

Pricing page is here: http://shootpointblank.com/range-pricing/

$5 for extra shooter.
$3 Liability waiver fee - good for one year.
LOTS of weekly range specials, as low as $5 for ladies on Tue.
Keep in mind the Passes are a great deal if you want shoot more than 3 times a month.
If you are Military/LE/Former/Current/First Responders etc - 50% off of passes. See this page: https://www.shoppointblank.com/collections/passes

Plus the range fee until Oct. 13 Mon-Thur is $5. Yes $5.

Grand Opening Oct. 12-14.
I'm getting the rates from the page that you linked. Here is my math. On my first visit, you require me to pay $3 for a liability waiver of some type. Presumably, you are waiving your ability to litigate against me for my liability since it would be illogical to charge me for a waiver of my rights related to your liability. Either way, it is $3 out of my pocket, and it does not appear to be optional. And you then charge me $12 for a half hour. $12 + $3 = $18. This assumes I am using a handgun. If I am using a rifle or shotgun I pay $3 more. So in that case it would be $18 + $3 = $21.

If my first visit is for an hour, then the charge would be $21 for a handgun ($18 + $3 = $21), or $25 for a rifle / shotgun ($22 + $3 = $25). Most indoor ranges charge somewhere between $15 to $20 an hour to shoot, so as I said, this pricing is comparable to other locations. An extra shooter is $8 ($5 + $3). I am assuming that this is for an hour, but your linked web page does not specify that.

As I said, after your first visit, the fee drops by $3 for all other visits that year, since you no longer need to pay a liability waiver.

I didn't see anything on your linked page about a $5 rate for the next two weeks. You may want to make that more prominent. Looking at it again, I do see that you offer an unlimited pass for $35 a month, which is better pricing than I have seen elsewhere.

Topic author
extremist

Post by extremist »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I'm getting the rates from the page that you linked. Here is my math. On my first visit, you require me to pay $3 for a liability waiver of some type. Presumably, you are waiving your ability to litigate against me for my liability since it would be illogical to charge me for a waiver of my rights related to your liability. Either way, it is $3 out of my pocket, and it does not appear to be optional. And you then charge me $12 for a half hour. $12 + $3 = $18. This assumes I am using a handgun. If I am using a rifle or shotgun I pay $3 more. So in that case it would be $18 + $3 = $21.

If my first visit is for an hour, then the charge would be $21 for a handgun ($18 + $3 = $21), or $25 for a rifle / shotgun ($22 + $3 = $25). Most indoor ranges charge somewhere between $15 to $20 an hour to shoot, so as I said, this pricing is comparable to other locations. An extra shooter is $8 ($5 + $3). I am assuming that this is for an hour, but your linked web page does not specify that.

As I said, after your first visit, the fee drops by $3 for all other visits that year, since you no longer need to pay a liability waiver.

I didn't see anything on your linked page about a $5 rate for the next two weeks. You may want to make that more prominent. Looking at it again, I do see that you offer an unlimited pass for $35 a month, which is better pricing than I have seen elsewhere.
Okay, so that's pretty much right, but keep in mind the special rates at other times.

The $5 rate is promotional for the period until we open. Good to go.

BTW, word on the street today is TSS is closing their doors unfortunately. Going to be a lot of unhappy premier members there. :grumble

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Are you willing to carry a million dollar insurance policy to cover any potential liability one of YOUR students may cause at their facility?
Yes. I had NRA Instructor insurance, and that policy can name a range to be included. Without the ability to take students to qualify at a range, only range owners (or those with large private properties) need apply and meet all the requirements to be CHL/LTC instructors.

Also, they can believe what they want, but I believe the "business decision" restricting the range use to their own instructors is because they want the students to come to them for training. What they don't recognize is that having outside instructors bringing students into their facility brings in customers who will come back to that facility for future shooting and shopping.

FYI: https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-pr ... uctor-plus
Exactly my thoughts. And yes, we carry the NRA Instructor Plus Million Dollar Policy, as well. We have 2 ranges currently named on the policy. We do not teach at either of them, but we do occasionally need to qualify students, and we pay the same range fee that everyone else does, even though we certainly do not spend an hour of time for each of those range fees.
So, it would seem to me to be a big win for the range. Range fees paid in full for less time than we spend there, and new customers who are likely to return to your range.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Aunt Eva

Post by Aunt Eva »

It sounds like a great opportunity for one of the instructors who are complaining to open a range and get rich.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”