Gun Range Wouldn't Rent to Me

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Gun Range Wouldn't Rent to Me

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Good afternoon all, some of you may know that I have been forced to move to the People's Republic of california. I wanted to go shooting today and I figured I would try out a couple of guns I've been looking at (Sig P220 and HK USP). So, I went to the local gun range and said I was looking at the two guns and was interested in trying them out. We talked for a bit about the differences and the gentleman told me that unfortunately, due to state law, he couldn't rent a gun to me unless I bring a gun of my own or was shooting with a friend. This didn't make any sense to me, so I inquired as to the reason. Apparently, they worry that lone shooters will go to the range, rent a gun, and use it to commit suicide. :roll:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

C-dub

Re: Gun Range Wouldn't Rent to Me

Post by C-dub »

Their gun, their rules.

As dub as they may be for business.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

Happens more often than you would think. (Suicide at ranges)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

C-dub wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm Their gun, their rules.

I would agree, but the rule was forced on them. The guy I was talking to said it was a stupid rule. I had never heard such a thing so I thought it was kind of funny. It's not a huge deal for me. It's just really inconvenient today. My wife is at an event and I would have to pay for an extra shooter just to watch me shoot. Of course, if she's already there she'll shoot, but she doesn't always want to go when I do.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I used to work at a gun range and we had the same policy. Either bring a gun of your own or bring a friend. It sucks that other people ruin it for everyone, but unfortunately reality is people do rent guns at gun ranges to commit suicide.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm Their gun, their rules.

I would agree, but the rule was forced on them. The guy I was talking to said it was a stupid rule. I had never heard such a thing so I thought it was kind of funny. It's not a huge deal for me. It's just really inconvenient today. My wife is at an event and I would have to pay for an extra shooter just to watch me shoot. Of course, if she's already there she'll shoot, but she doesn't always want to go when I do.
Sorry, I missed the part about being state law. I went back to read your OP again and found it. More government regulations trying to save us from ourselves. :banghead:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Here I was going to go all negative on CA.

But this seems a reasonable restriction to move a suicide to some place else.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Suicide by gun is just a bad idea. 90% are successful but...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm Good afternoon all, some of you may know that I have been forced to move to the People's Republic of california. I wanted to go shooting today and I figured I would try out a couple of guns I've been looking at (Sig P220 and HK USP). So, I went to the local gun range and said I was looking at the two guns and was interested in trying them out. We talked for a bit about the differences and the gentleman told me that unfortunately, due to state law, he couldn't rent a gun to me unless I bring a gun of my own or was shooting with a friend. This didn't make any sense to me, so I inquired as to the reason. Apparently, they worry that lone shooters will go to the range, rent a gun, and use it to commit suicide. :roll:
I carry a USPc in .40 and highly recommend it. The felt recoil is not a deterrent to me, but I grew up on .357 mag loads.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

This is not uncommon. Same policy at ranges in New Jersey. You have to go accompanied.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”