How is it possible that Waco is lacking an indoor range??

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 5

How is it possible that Waco is lacking an indoor range??

Post by Scott in Houston »

I can’t find one online. The nearest is Temple?
Is this true? How is that possible?

I may move to Waco, and open an indoor quality range. Chip and Jo can build me a house. :lol:

Is there one I’m not finding?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How is it possible that Waco is lacking an indoor range??

Post by Tex1961 »

You know !!! You might have just hit on an idea..... I'd pay to watch that episode.... Chip and JoAnn convert old warehouse to indoor gun range.... Each stall gets sliding barn doors for complete privacy....

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:05 am You know !!! You might have just hit on an idea..... I'd pay to watch that episode.... Chip and JoAnn convert old warehouse to indoor gun range.... Each stall gets sliding barn doors for complete privacy....
Don't forget the shiplap! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

Can you imagine Chip as the RSO?!?!?!?! :shock:

:leaving

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

flechero wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:34 am Can you imagine Chip as the RSO?!?!?!?! :shock:

:leaving
He'd be walking around with his sledgehammer.... DEMO TIME on your gun if you pointed it the wrong way.....

DocV

Post by DocV »

There was someone planning to open an indoor range a few years back but that range never materialized. You are welcome to come as my guest to CTRP Club.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

DocV wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am There was someone planning to open an indoor range a few years back but that range never materialized. You are welcome to come as my guest to CTRP Club.
That’s very nice of you. I’d like to take you up on that.
I’m heading to Waco today but won’t have any free time on this trip.
Next time up, I’ll send you a PM. :tiphat:
We met years ago. It would be good to see you again!

I interview Baylor kids and come up as an alumnus somewhat often. I was shocked at not seeing a range as an option with all the new development in Waco the last several years.

And yes. We should start a new Fixer Upper regarding a nice range!
Last edited by Scott in Houston on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Just noticed my avatar is the same since 2012 with RG3 as a rookie QB in Washington. lol
Need to update!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The last range I heard about in Waco was ordered shut down by Janet Reno in 1993. She had the ATF go in and burn all the people running it alive.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm The last range I heard about in Waco was ordered shut down by Janet Reno in 1993. She had the ATF go in and burn all the people running it alive.
I was very upset because I was a senior at Baylor that year and could no longer bow fish at Trading House Reservoir.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Scott in Houston wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm
DocV wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am There was someone planning to open an indoor range a few years back but that range never materialized. You are welcome to come as my guest to CTRP Club.
That’s very nice of you. I’d like to take you up on that.
I’m heading to Waco today but won’t have any free time on this trip.
Next time up, I’ll send you a PM. :tiphat:
We met years ago. It would be good to see you again!

I interview Baylor kids and come up as an alumnus somewhat often. I was shocked at not seeing a range as an option with all the new development in Waco the last several years.

And yes. We should start a new Fixer Upper regarding a nice range!
Excellent on all parts - especially the interviewing Baylor kids part.
As you probably know, I am now emeritus so I have plenty of time for range work and can
easily rearrange my schedule around yours. Please do toss me a PM next time you plan to be here.

Did you know that Baylor used to have a range in the union building? Mrs DocV, a Waco native, says there was also a range in one of the buildings downtown.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

The "Outhouse" use to have a range. A tornado came thru around the late 90s or early 00s and took out the ventilation system. Word on the street was that it wasn't worth the hassle or money to repair the ventilation system. Now it is archery only.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

DocV wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 pm
Excellent on all parts - especially the interviewing Baylor kids part.
As you probably know, I am now emeritus so I have plenty of time for range work and can
easily rearrange my schedule around yours. Please do toss me a PM next time you plan to be here.

Did you know that Baylor used to have a range in the union building? Mrs DocV, a Waco native, says there was also a range in one of the buildings downtown.
Congratulations on the next phase of your career and life! That's awesome.
I'm actually posting this from the Sid Rich building. It's changed a lot since I was last in this building in 1991 or so.
I'll definitely send you a PM for my next visit.

As far as a range in the SUB... wow. And today Baylor posts 30.06/.07 signs. :grumble
I'm not surprised, but hate to see them.

jason812 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:09 pm The "Outhouse" use to have a range. A tornado came thru around the late 90s or early 00s and took out the ventilation system. Word on the street was that it wasn't worth the hassle or money to repair the ventilation system. Now it is archery only.
I used to buy my archery gear there. When I was a student in Waco in the early 90's, they had an archery range, but nothing with firearms that I remember.

This seems like money left on the table for somebody. If I can convince my wife to live in Waco, which thanks to Chip is more likely these days :lol: , I may open one myself!

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:09 pm The "Outhouse" use to have a range. A tornado came thru around the late 90s or early 00s and took out the ventilation system. Word on the street was that it wasn't worth the hassle or money to repair the ventilation system. Now it is archery only.
I used to buy my archery gear there. When I was a student in Waco in the early 90's, they had an archery range, but nothing with firearms that I remember.

This seems like money left on the table for somebody. If I can convince my wife to live in Waco, which thanks to Chip is more likely these days :lol: , I may open one myself!
My dad bought my brother a 686 .357 for his 15th birthday which was 22 years ago. They went there to shoot it and said then entire range stopped and looked to see what was making the big boom.

I have looked into the cost of opening a range and it is not cheap. The main cost being the ventilation system. Plus I would do it outside of the Waco city limits as they are completely nuts with their codes. While it is something I would love to do, I would need financial backing. The gamble is, if it were ran right, would the Waco area support it enough to remain in business? I have ideas for what I would like to do but just don't know if they are feasible.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jason812 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am
Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 am

My dad bought my brother a 686 .357 for his 15th birthday which was 22 years ago. They went there to shoot it and said then entire range stopped and looked to see what was making the big boom.

I have looked into the cost of opening a range and it is not cheap. The main cost being the ventilation system. Plus I would do it outside of the Waco city limits as they are completely nuts with their codes. While it is something I would love to do, I would need financial backing. The gamble is, if it were ran right, would the Waco area support it enough to remain in business? I have ideas for what I would like to do but just don't know if they are feasible.
I had the blued version of that, the 586 in 4" barrel back in the early 80's. That darn thing did make a boom when shooting .357 from it.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”