Lijitas cowboy shoot = fun

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Lijitas cowboy shoot = fun

Post by SA-TX »

One of the consequences of having another birthday is that I don't recall if I told this story here. I don't think that I did.

Down in the Big Bend is a town right on the Rio Grande called Lijitas (pronounced like the mexican dish that starts with an F). There is a resort there where the rooms are pretty pricey but the views are worth it. It is known for its golf course(s? Not sure if more than one). I rode the course just to take pictures and you are on high bluffs looking into Mexico and at the river. You border Bug Bend National Park. Yet just down the road is a pull over where you are right on the riverbank. Quite the change in elevation in a short distance. At that point the RG isn't so strong and Mexico is RIGHT THERE. Amazing what a difference a little water makes.

Among the many other things they have are some shooting courses. One is a lazy target course set up like an old western town. Pistol, shotgun, and rifle, with a no-hurry pace. It is all for fun and or instruction. The other is a tactical course. It is similar but with more targets plus timed and scored. You transit station to station starting with a lever action rifle, transitioning to a pistol, and ending with a scatter gun. WHAT FUN! :fire . If you ever have the chance to go, I highly recommend it!

It was my first visit to that part of West Texas and the Big Bend. It was incredibly beautiful. The transition from the oil patch of Odessa to the elevation of Alpine, to the high desert, to the beginning of the River Road was spectacular.

SA-TX

Return to “Shooting Ranges”