Chas. Cotton now NRA president

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chas. Cotton now NRA president

Post by Vol Texan »

Congrats Charles!

Aw man…the next South Houston breakfast is gonna be awesome. I might need to take the morning off work to rejoin y’all!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

JRG

Post by JRG »

Congrats Mr. Cotton!!

Joe

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Let's see, Daily Beast or Mr. Cotton...well, it's not too difficult for me to figure out which one I trust.

Oh, and congratulations to Mr. Cotton!

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Member here in the forum since 2005. Out of deference to Charles, I'll renew my NRA membership now.. Hadn't planned to, but I'm sure Charles will positively influence the NRA.

Congrats Charles!

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Congratulations and good luck, Charles. You'll need it, with WLP still there and you being publicly branded a "LaPierre loyalist" before you've even started. That notwithstanding, I can't think of a better person for the role of NRA President than Charles Cotton.
-Ruark

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:53 pm
Let's see, Daily Beast or Mr. Cotton...well, it's not too difficult for me to figure out which one I trust.

Oh, and congratulations to Mr. Cotton!
Regarding that Daily Beast hit-piece by NYC hack Justin "My tweets auto-delete weekly" Rohrlich, is formal logic not taught in schools any longer? Or maybe it's now taught only in journalism curricula as a mechanism for obfuscation, disinformation, and deception. I did a quick read of the article, and identified at a glance all of these common logical fallacies in use over the course of just, what, 20 paragraphs:
  1. Strawman Fallacy: misrepresenting the position of the opponent by replacing their position with a different position (a strawman), and then attacking that different position.
  2. Circular Reasoning Fallacy: restating or reaffirming the premise as the conclusion without any further explanation or information; assuming the conclusion in the premise.
  3. Ad Hominem Fallacy: attacking the person and not their argument; one manifestation is stating that the identity of a person disqualifies them from making or engaging in the argument itself.
  4. Post Hoc Fallacy ("post hoc ergo propter hoc"): assuming causality from order of events; claiming that since B happened after A, then A must have caused B.
  5. False Dichotomy Fallacy: presenting only two possible options or outcomes to a position, framing it as either/or, when in reality there may be multiple options, explanations, or causative factors.
  6. Equivocation Fallacy: using language in a wrong or misleading way to either conceal a truth or a falsehood; misleading through manipulation of language; doublespeak.
  7. Appeal to Authority Fallacy ("ad verecundiam"): referencing an authority as a basis for an argument does not imply the argument is correct; the authority's opinion may be correct or incorrect, depending on the substance of the claim at issue (e.g., Letitia James).
  8. Hasty Generalization Fallacy: making a claim about something without sufficient or unbiased evidence for the claim; if the evidence did support the claim, then it wouldn't be a hasty generalization, it would just be a generalization.
  9. Appeal to Popular Opinion Fallacy ("ad populum"): making an argument that a position is true because a great number of people hold to that position; the majority may be factually wrong as a result of being misled or having partial information and drawing incorrect conclusions.
  10. Red Herring Fallacy: attempting to divert attention from the primary argument by injecting a point which may be true, but which does not further the substance of the counterargument.
  11. You Also Fallacy ("tu quoque"): attempting to discredit a speaker by attacking their behavior as being inconsistent with their argument; similar to the ad hominem fallacy, but this personal attack isn't designed to disqualify the speaker for who they are, but for how they act.
  12. Conjunction Fallacy: assuming that a set of specific and combined conditions is likelier to be true than a single condition, without concrete evidence that either is true; because these conditions combine multiple factors which must all be true in order for the entire statement to be true, it is mathematically less likely that the statement is true than would be a simpler proposition; can also be a method to cloud a single issue by introducing multiple propositions.
There may be more in that short article. I'm no scholar. But a dozen "how can we actively work to distort the public's perception" examples is probably enough.
:banghead:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Great news!!! Thanks Charles.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I want to say congratulations to Charles and thank him for the hard work he has put in for gun owners and preemptively thank him for the hard work he has ahead of him!
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

congratulations Mr Cotton, from Robert and I, both
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Wow, someone I've actually met and taken a seminar from is the NRA President.

Very good Charles! Congratulations!!!

:woohoo :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Congratulations Charles!
Ron
NRA Member

Outnumbered

Post by Outnumbered »

Fantastic! Congratulations!

stroo

Post by stroo »

Congratulations. Right man for the job!!!

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Congratulations and also condolences for the new headaches you now have.

varko

Post by varko »

Congratulations Charles!
And if I were called upon to identify briefly the principal trait of the entire twentieth century, here too, I would be unable to find anything more precise and pithy than to repeat once again: Men have forgotten God. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Return to “National Rifle Association”