An Important Message to NRA Members

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Re: An Important Message to NRA Members

Post by bblhd672 »

Pete Brownell resigns from NRA Board of Directors:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/ ... directors/
In the coming weeks, my company will be making exciting announcements about new opportunities that are important to the future success of our business. We look forward to sharing that news soon as possible. Given the hard work and full-time attention that will be needed as our brands continue to grow, I’ve decided to step down from my position on the NRA’s Board of Directors. It’s been an honor to serve the five million members of the NRA and I will continue standing side-by-side with the millions of Americans who care deeply about defending the Second Amendment.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:36 pm
cyphertext wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:37 am Kinda funny that the NRA lawyer, William Brewer, is also the son in law of Angus McQueen, CEO of Ackerman McQueen...
I could get over the father in law thing since I know some families are mortal enemies but what's not so funny is the money trail. At the bottom of this article is a list of brewer's political donations....

I borrowed the link from a post at the 1911 forum... Not even sure what to say, I just want to throw up. ( hope someone can debunk it)

http://gunpatent.com/save-the-nra-d-way ... WzKJowx96A
Mr. Brewer has made about $200,000 in political donations, almost entirely to Democrats, and to Democrat party organizations. Including last year to Beto O’Rourke in his race against stalwart Second Amendment supporter Ted Cruz (my Senator). And maximum donations (over $10k) to Hillary in 2008 and before, and even to Al Franken. When he occasionally (rarely) donates to Republicans its often to the ones popular with Democrats, like Californian Tom Campbell. Mr. Brewer’s wife’s donation lacks the occasional RINO donation and includes max Obama donations. Brewer’s top partner is also a loyal democrat donor, and none of the other partners are active political donors.

And that’s all fine, legal, ethical, and no cause for me to complain – at least about that law firm and its lawyers.

But I’d like to know the decision process that leads to NRA to put tens of millions of dollars into the pockets of donors to the very campaigns the NRA magazine is warning readers about (and soliciting donations to fight!) While I can’t question the capabilities of the firm they hired presumably due to a connection with the PR firm, I can confidently suggest that there are hundreds of law firms in the nation that would have been capable of handling the case, and even if they weren’t all ardent Second Amendment supporters like yours truly, at least they wouldn’t be giving aid and comfort to the enemies of our most precious liberties.

Help! :cryin
How an attorney spends their own money has nothing to do with their representation of clients. I've represented many liberal clients over the years and my political activities did not diminish my zeal to represent them to the best of my ability. Bill is doing a great job representing the NRA as evidenced by the court's refusal to dismiss the First Amendment case as requested by Democrat defendants.

Chas.

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

I didn't question his competence, just echo the author's concerns that there are 100's of other attorneys and firms that could probably rep the NRA as well and aren't supporting those that literally seek to destroy us (with our own dollars)

At best, it looks horrible. :tiphat:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

So as NRA members we are supposed to just accept that our dues and contributions are being funneled to the political campaigns of those who wish to destroy not only the 2nd Amendment but the NRA itself without expressing any concerns? That members are actually supporting the agenda of those who refer to us as bitter clingers and deplorables, those who go out and boldly lie about everything we believe in?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 am So as NRA members we are supposed to just accept that our dues and contributions are being funneled to the political campaigns of those who wish to destroy not only the 2nd Amendment but the NRA itself without expressing any concerns? That members are actually supporting the agenda of those who refer to us as bitter clingers and deplorables, those who go out and boldly lie about everything we believe in?
You can accept or reject whatever you wish. The continued existence of the NRA is at stake, so I want the best attorney for the job. In New York and against the most powerful government officials in New York, that means Bill Brewer. If you needed delicate brain surgery to survive and the best guy was a donor to the Democrat Party, I bet you wouldn't choose a less qualified surgeon.

Chas.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 am So as NRA members we are supposed to just accept that our dues and contributions are being funneled to the political campaigns of those who wish to destroy not only the 2nd Amendment but the NRA itself without expressing any concerns? That members are actually supporting the agenda of those who refer to us as bitter clingers and deplorables, those who go out and boldly lie about everything we believe in?
So you would prefer that our dues be paid to a less capable attorney and put the future of the NRA at even greater risk rather than someone who is the beat but donates a PART of their income to our opposition(note that even then only a fraction of that donation will be used against us)?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

G.A. Heath wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:32 pm
So you would prefer that our dues be paid to a less capable attorney and put the future of the NRA at even greater risk rather than someone who is the beat but donates a PART of their income to our opposition(note that even then only a fraction of that donation will be used against us)?
As Mr. Cotton pointed out you are free to accept or reject any thing you want. Everyone has their own guidelines for compromising their principles.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I don't accept that there aren't any good attorneys that don't donate $200k plus of their own money to the dems.

Don T
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Don T »

When you are involved in "bet your business" litigation, you want the best legal representation available. Mr. Brewer and his firm have had the reputation of being among the very best, hard-noses, bet the business lawyers in Dallas, then Texas, then the US, since the mid to late 1980's. (Full disclosure: one of my former law partners practiced with Mr. Brewer when Mr. Brewer was beginning his law practice.)

Because lawyers are a product of our law schools, the list of outstanding litigation lawyers with the necessary law firm resources who share the values of the NRA may not be as long as one would like.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

On this point, I have to agree with Charles. Your dues are not being funneled to a political campaign that fights against our positions. Your dues are being paid to the best person or company our organization can get to do a job. Once they are paid, it becomes their money to do with as they wish.

Just as your boss cannot tell you to only donate to charities they support with the money they pay you, the NRA cannot tell the people they contract with what to do with their profits from us. Either they do the job we ask or they don't get paid. After that, it is their money. I would hate to see our society degenerate so far as for us to be allowed to ask a person what political positions they have and support before we hire them for a job. That strikes me as one of the biggest mistakes we could ever make.
Steve Rothstein

flechero

Post by flechero »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 pm On this point, I have to agree with Charles. Your dues are not being funneled to a political campaign that fights against our positions. Your dues are being paid to the best person or company our organization can get to do a job. Once they are paid, it becomes their money to do with as they wish.
With all due respect, that's kind of like saying that going to a moms demand action funraising dinner is perfectly fine, your money isn't going to a political campaign that fights against our positions, it's going to pay for that delicious airline chicken dinner. Once they are paid it's their money to do with as they wish. :confused5

flechero

Post by flechero »

Don T wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:18 pm When you are involved in "bet your business" litigation, you want the best legal representation available. Mr. Brewer and his firm have had the reputation of being among the very best, hard-noses, bet the business lawyers in Dallas, then Texas, then the US, since the mid to late 1980's. (Full disclosure: one of my former law partners practiced with Mr. Brewer when Mr. Brewer was beginning his law practice.)

Because lawyers are a product of our law schools, the list of outstanding litigation lawyers with the necessary law firm resources who share the values of the NRA may not be as long as one would like.

For those of us that don't know Brewer or his reputation, it's extremely difficult not to question someone's commitment if he'll donate big $$$ to and vote to help those that he's taking our money to fight.

I sure hope you guys are right about him.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

As all of the above. Thank you from this Deep East Texas Patriot that struggles to understand 21st century Politics and especially the Fake News and perverted media.
Thank you for standing where we cant.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

rotor

Post by rotor »

I can see both points about Brewer. The statement is that he is the best man for the job regardless of his politics. He is paid to fight for the NRA and then he donates money to politicians who fight to destroy the NRA. Is there not in this country an attorney as good as Brewer who supports the 2A?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

rotor wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:38 pm Is there not in this country an attorney as good as Brewer who supports the 2A?
No. It's not just a matter of "being as good as Brewer." It's a matter of "being as good as Brewer" in New York when you are against the most powerful men and women in New York State.

Chas.

Return to “National Rifle Association”