An Important Message to NRA Members

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: An Important Message to NRA Members

Post by OneGun »

Charles,

Thank you for this information. I do have a few questions that the NRA should be able to answer without disclosing any confidential information.

1) Since the NRA has filed suit against several NY government entities and Ackerman McQueen, are the complaints public record and can you share them with us? I would like to see the allegations against the defendants.

2) This message from the NRA that you attached said that the NRA's finances are audited by a highly reputable accounting firm. I don't think the identity of the firm is a confidential. Which accounting firm performs the audits and are the auditor's opinions available?

David
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

OneGun wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 am Charles,

Thank you for this information. I do have a few questions that the NRA should be able to answer without disclosing any confidential information.

1) Since the NRA has filed suit against several NY government entities and Ackerman McQueen, are the complaints public record and can you share them with us? I would like to see the allegations against the defendants.

2) This message from the NRA that you attached said that the NRA's finances are audited by a highly reputable accounting firm. I don't think the identity of the firm is a confidential. Which accounting firm performs the audits and are the auditor's opinions available?

David
1. Yes, all suit filings are public record. The NY suit is in federal court (District Court, Albany, NY) and both suits against Ackerman McQueen are filed in Virginia state courts. I don't have copies to share, but they are available to the public. I wouldn't post pleadings anyway as they can be and usually are amended during a lawsuit. I don't want to have superceded pleadings on the Forum, nor do I want the responsibility to keep them updated. Again, they are available to the general public.

2. The identity of the accounting firm is not confidential, but I'm not going to disclose it on a public forum. We see companies attacked all the time for doing business with pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-gun, pro-anything conservative people/organizations and I'm not going to be the source of a problem for the firm. The audited financial statements are filed with numerous state regulatory agencies, so getting a copy isn't difficult. If you do so, don't publish them on the forum or disclose the name of the firm. Also, the NRA financial statements are made available to people attending the NRA Annual Meeting.

Chas.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigGuy »

Thank You Mr. Cotton. Also the NRA.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Now that the second lawsuit has been filed against Ackerman McQueen, I can provide a great deal more information. I'm putting together a podcast covering this topic that I hope to release next week.

Chas.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:30 pm Now that the second lawsuit has been filed against Ackerman McQueen, I can provide a great deal more information. I'm putting together a podcast covering this topic that I hope to release next week.

Chas.
:thumbs2: Thank you Charles.
NRA Endowment Member

dlh

Post by dlh »

Hi Charles,
Could you post a copy of the pleadings in .pdf or similar format?
Would be interested in the causes of action.
Thanks!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

dlh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 pm Hi Charles,
Could you post a copy of the pleadings in .pdf or similar format?
Would be interested in the causes of action.
Thanks!
3 posts above yours Charles stated that he would not post pleadings and gave specific reasons for that. Hello?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

dlh

Post by dlh »

I did some digging and found this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/n ... queen.html

Hope it turns out okay for the NRA. There is a saying in legal circles: I was a poor man but twice in my life--the first time when I lost a lawsuit--the second time when I won one.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Nagorg

Post by Nagorg »

Thanks Charles! Looking forward to more info when available!

-Proud to be an NRA Member!

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Mr Cotton,
Thank you. :tiphat: :tiphat: Thanks for the update, for the hard work that you & others do for
our NRA and people as individuals and for protecting and advancing our rights on a daily basis. :cheers2:

:txflag: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

I am a strong supporter of the NRA but also joined Gun Owners of America. No reason not to have 2 groups fighting for you.

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... -cuts-ties
The ad agency that partnered with the National Rifle Association (NRA) for four decades has ended its relationship with the gun lobbying group.

“Today, faced with the NRA’s many inexplicable actions that have constructively terminated the parties’ Services Agreement, Ackerman McQueen decided it is time to stand up for the truth, and formally provide a Notice to Terminate its almost four-decade long relationship with the National Rifle Association,” the agency said in a statement on Wednesday.
A lawyer for the NRA pushed back at Ackerman McQueen's decision to cut ties Wednesday, accusing the agency of having "sponsored a failed coup attempt to unseat Wayne Lapierre."
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Grumpy1993 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:21 pm https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... -cuts-ties
The ad agency that partnered with the National Rifle Association (NRA) for four decades has ended its relationship with the gun lobbying group.

“Today, faced with the NRA’s many inexplicable actions that have constructively terminated the parties’ Services Agreement, Ackerman McQueen decided it is time to stand up for the truth, and formally provide a Notice to Terminate its almost four-decade long relationship with the National Rifle Association,” the agency said in a statement on Wednesday.
A lawyer for the NRA pushed back at Ackerman McQueen's decision to cut ties Wednesday, accusing the agency of having "sponsored a failed coup attempt to unseat Wayne Lapierre."

Here is the rest of the quote from NRA's attorney.

"The NRA alleges that Ackerman not only attempted to derail an investigation into its conduct, but unleashed a smear campaign against any who dared to hold the agency accountable," William Brewer III, counsel to the NRA, told The Hill in a statement.

“Although today’s announcement by Ackerman is welcome news, it does not resolve the NRA’s legal actions against Ackerman. The Association will pursue its legal rights and hold Ackerman accountable for any damage it caused the Association. The agency was a longstanding vendor of the NRA. But like any other vendor, it will be held accountable – in the best interest of all NRA members.”

Chas.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 pm
Grumpy1993 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:21 pm https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... -cuts-ties

Here is the rest of the quote from NRA's attorney.

"The NRA alleges that Ackerman not only attempted to derail an investigation into its conduct, but unleashed a smear campaign against any who dared to hold the agency accountable," William Brewer III, counsel to the NRA, told The Hill in a statement.

“Although today’s announcement by Ackerman is welcome news, it does not resolve the NRA’s legal actions against Ackerman. The Association will pursue its legal rights and hold Ackerman accountable for any damage it caused the Association. The agency was a longstanding vendor of the NRA. But like any other vendor, it will be held accountable – in the best interest of all NRA members.”

Chas.
Kinda funny that the NRA lawyer, William Brewer, is also the son in law of Angus McQueen, CEO of Ackerman McQueen...

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

cyphertext wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:37 am Kinda funny that the NRA lawyer, William Brewer, is also the son in law of Angus McQueen, CEO of Ackerman McQueen...
I could get over the father in law thing since I know some families are mortal enemies but what's not so funny is the money trail. At the bottom of this article is a list of brewer's political donations....

I borrowed the link from a post at the 1911 forum... Not even sure what to say, I just want to throw up. ( hope someone can debunk it)

http://gunpatent.com/save-the-nra-d-way ... WzKJowx96A
Mr. Brewer has made about $200,000 in political donations, almost entirely to Democrats, and to Democrat party organizations. Including last year to Beto O’Rourke in his race against stalwart Second Amendment supporter Ted Cruz (my Senator). And maximum donations (over $10k) to Hillary in 2008 and before, and even to Al Franken. When he occasionally (rarely) donates to Republicans its often to the ones popular with Democrats, like Californian Tom Campbell. Mr. Brewer’s wife’s donation lacks the occasional RINO donation and includes max Obama donations. Brewer’s top partner is also a loyal democrat donor, and none of the other partners are active political donors.

And that’s all fine, legal, ethical, and no cause for me to complain – at least about that law firm and its lawyers.

But I’d like to know the decision process that leads to NRA to put tens of millions of dollars into the pockets of donors to the very campaigns the NRA magazine is warning readers about (and soliciting donations to fight!) While I can’t question the capabilities of the firm they hired presumably due to a connection with the PR firm, I can confidently suggest that there are hundreds of law firms in the nation that would have been capable of handling the case, and even if they weren’t all ardent Second Amendment supporters like yours truly, at least they wouldn’t be giving aid and comfort to the enemies of our most precious liberties.

Help! :cryin

Return to “National Rifle Association”