Can ALL documentation for a CHL be submitted online now?

Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BKRushing
Posts in topic: 3

Can ALL documentation for a CHL be submitted online now?

Post by BKRushing »

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been asked already. I am a new CHL applicant and I just finished my class yesterday and have my paperwork ready to submit when I noticed the following statement on my CHL Checklist:

"You may also submit your documentation online at: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So do this mean that we can scan our Checklist, Passport Photos, CHL-6 & CHL-100 into your computer and upload to DPS? I scanned everything and submitted it that way, but plan to mail it via regular mail just in case. Be really nice if I didn't have to mail this stuff, too.

Any ideas?

BKRushing
Glovebox & EDC: Glock 26 9mm
Summer Carry: Ruger LCP .380

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can ALL documentation for a CHL be submitted online now?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to the Forum, we're glad to have you.

I'm trying to get information on this issue now. I doubt that photos can be uploaded, but it appears that the rest of the documents can be uploaded. If I'm correct about photos, then the uploading of documents will be more useful on renewals.

I'll post something in the DPS section as soon as I learn something.

Chas.
BKRushing wrote:I am new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been asked already. I am a new CHL applicant and I just finished my class yesterday and have my paperwork ready to submit when I noticed the following statement on my CHL Checklist:

"You may also submit your documentation online at: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So do this mean that we can scan our Checklist, Passport Photos, CHL-6 & CHL-100 into your computer and upload to DPS? I scanned everything and submitted it that way, but plan to mail it via regular mail just in case. Be really nice if I didn't have to mail this stuff, too.

Any ideas?

BKRushing

Topic author
BKRushing

Post by BKRushing »

Thanks, Charles. Look forward to hearing more.

BKRushing

brentski

Post by brentski »

I read that too and submitted mine via upload and this is the DPS response:

We do not accept new applications by email. You are required to mail us all your new application documents and photos by regular mail. Please use the mailing address below for reference.

Best regards,
Concealed Handgun Program

Customer Relations Section

Our mailing address:

Texas Department of Public Safety

Concealed Handgun License Program, MSC 0245

PO Box 4087

Austin, TX 78773-0245

Topic author
BKRushing

Post by BKRushing »

Thanks, Brentski. They really should clarify that information. More than a bit misleading.

BKRushing

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

You can submit your CHL-100 and checklist on line at the link provided if you are a RENEWAL. I submitted mine on line one week ago, received an email acknowledging they received them and today my status was updated. They need to verify fingerprints are ok, complete the background check and then mail the plastic.

infoman

Post by infoman »

You can send in all your new application materials online, but you have to specifically ask for them to use your Texas DL photo. this can only be done if you have a Texas DL/ID card. You cannot do this if you have an out of state DL/ID card. Just upload all your documents, CHL-100, CHL-6, etc. and then type that you wish to have DPS use your Texas DL photo.

MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

infoman wrote:You can send in all your new application materials online, but you have to specifically ask for them to use your Texas DL photo. this can only be done if you have a Texas DL/ID card. You cannot do this if you have an out of state DL/ID card. Just upload all your documents, CHL-100, CHL-6, etc. and then type that you wish to have DPS use your Texas DL photo.

I called yesterday and spoke with Theresa, she said if you do not specifically ask for TX DL picture to be used it will default to use it.

AEA
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AEA »

On my recent 2nd renewal I specifically asked for my DL picture to be used (updated several months ago) on the checklist form, written in and they still used my 5 year old CHL license photo (from my 1st renewal) instead of my request. I don't buy the "Default" statement above.

They just cannot get everything right all the time. They need a QC section of the process.

I have been concerned about this since I received it as the pictures are quite different and that Is one of the reasons I updated my DL photo several months ago in anticipation for them to have a current picture available. They still messed it up.

So today I have emailed them and supplied pictures of my 1st renewal, 2nd renewal (both with same picture) and current DL (with new picture) so they can easily see their error. I have requested that they re-manufacture my new CHL with the DL photo that I requested in the first place (that they ignored) at no cost to me.

We will see how this goes........ :roll:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

AEA

Post by AEA »

infoman wrote:You can send in all your new application materials online, but you have to specifically ask for them to use your Texas DL photo. this can only be done if you have a Texas DL/ID card. You cannot do this if you have an out of state DL/ID card. Just upload all your documents, CHL-100, CHL-6, etc. and then type that you wish to have DPS use your Texas DL photo.
Upload of documents WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED for initial license.
Additionally, there is no requirement for CHL-6 for renewals.
For renewals you simply write on the Checklist that you want them to use the TxDL photo. They may or may not honor your request. Seems to be hit or miss what they do in this regard.
brentski wrote:this is the DPS response:

We do not accept new applications by email. You are required to mail us all your new application documents and photos by regular mail.
1911's RULE!

AEA

Post by AEA »

AEA wrote:On my recent 2nd renewal I specifically asked for my DL picture to be used (updated several months ago) on the checklist form, written in and they still used my 5 year old CHL license photo (from my 1st renewal) instead of my request. I don't buy the "Default" statement above.

They just cannot get everything right all the time. They need a QC section of the process.

I have been concerned about this since I received it as the pictures are quite different and that Is one of the reasons I updated my DL photo several months ago in anticipation for them to have a current picture available. They still messed it up.

So today I have emailed them and supplied pictures of my 1st renewal, 2nd renewal (both with same picture) and current DL (with new picture) so they can easily see their error. I have requested that they re-manufacture my new CHL with the DL photo that I requested in the first place (that they ignored) at no cost to me.

We will see how this goes........ :roll:
Well, well, well.......................
Today (3rd working day since my email) I received this email from TxDPS CHL Licensing Division:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your email question regarding a Texas Concealed Handgun license.

We have received your documents and they have been forwarded to our processing department. Please allow 2 weeks to be updated by the department.

So, it appears they agreed and I should have a Duplicate License (with new picture) in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by AEA on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well, good luck -- but that sounds like a canned response to me.

Perhaps you'll be "updated" in two weeks as to the decision about whether or not to re-manufacturing your license.

:cheers2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

AEA

Post by AEA »

sjfcontrol wrote:Well, good luck -- but that sounds like a canned response to me.

Perhaps you'll be "updated" in two weeks as to the decision about whether or not to re-manufacturing your license.

Ah Ha!.....good point! I will post again whatever I get! :tiphat:
1911's RULE!

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

AEA wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Well, good luck -- but that sounds like a canned response to me.

Just don't forget to send the license with the wrong picture back to DPS. You cannot have two valid licenses.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

AEA

Post by AEA »

MoJo wrote:
AEA wrote:

Just don't forget to send the license with the wrong picture back to DPS. You cannot have two valid licenses.
I used to think that too......
But DPS is telling peeps to just destroy after receipt of your duplicate license as long as it is not a change of category of handgun (NSA-SA).

Many, many posts on this topic.....NONE resolved.....
1911's RULE!

Return to “DPS Updates”