GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#211

Post by philip964 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/bre ... zu6QiK46K/

The video guy in the truck coming up on the shooting has been arrested for murder.

I’ll love to hear all the experts on line explain this one.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 36
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#212

Post by oljames3 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 pm

philip964 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/bre ... zu6QiK46K/

The video guy in the truck coming up on the shooting has been arrested for murder.

I’ll love to hear all the experts on line explain this one.
Sorry for the delay. I was not able to log on 'til now. I am still not a lawyer, so I will defer to those who are.
https://www.georgiacriminallawyer.com/felony-murder
https://lawofselfdefense.com/ahmaud-arb ... y-22-2020/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#213

Post by philip964 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am

https://news.yahoo.com/man-recorded-ahm ... 20523.html

Video guy used his vehicle to illegally detain Ahmaud, a felony.


eyedoc
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 am

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#214

Post by eyedoc » Sat May 23, 2020 10:38 am

The prosecutors are really stretching things to please the lynch mob.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 35
Posts: 9193
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#215

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat May 23, 2020 11:06 am

philip964 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am
https://news.yahoo.com/man-recorded-ahm ... 20523.html

Video guy used his vehicle to illegally detain Ahmaud, a felony.
The article mentions this guy talked to authorities without a lawyer. Even took a lie detector test. Huge mistake. Never talk to authorities with no lawyer when the possibility of being accused of a crime exists. Somehow he worded something in a way that made him a part of the murder rather than just a witness to the murder. People forget that the job of the police is to find a crime. They are never looking to find an innocent person.

I would love to see the transcript of his interview. It only takes one slip up in wording to make you part of the crime.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#216

Post by philip964 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:06 am
philip964 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am
https://news.yahoo.com/man-recorded-ahm ... 20523.html

Video guy used his vehicle to illegally detain Ahmaud, a felony.
The article mentions this guy talked to authorities without a lawyer. Even took a lie detector test. Huge mistake. Never talk to authorities with no lawyer when the possibility of being accused of a crime exists. Somehow he worded something in a way that made him a part of the murder rather than just a witness to the murder. People forget that the job of the police is to find a crime. They are never looking to find an innocent person.

I would love to see the transcript of his interview. It only takes one slip up in wording to make you part of the crime.
He passed a lie detector test that he didn’t have a gun.

I guess General Flynn is a good example of why not to speak to the police.

I think he thought he was being a good witness.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 35
Posts: 9193
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#217

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am

philip964 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:06 am
philip964 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am
https://news.yahoo.com/man-recorded-ahm ... 20523.html

Video guy used his vehicle to illegally detain Ahmaud, a felony.
The article mentions this guy talked to authorities without a lawyer. Even took a lie detector test. Huge mistake. Never talk to authorities with no lawyer when the possibility of being accused of a crime exists. Somehow he worded something in a way that made him a part of the murder rather than just a witness to the murder. People forget that the job of the police is to find a crime. They are never looking to find an innocent person.

I would love to see the transcript of his interview. It only takes one slip up in wording to make you part of the crime.
He passed a lie detector test that he didn’t have a gun.

I guess General Flynn is a good example of why not to speak to the police.

I think he thought he was being a good witness.
Exactly! People too often think they are innocent of a crime so they just open up and blather away to the police. Only to suddenly find themselves sitting in jail. Let this be a lesson to us all. From witness to accessory. Holly cow. I didn't see this one coming.


lj98
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:25 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#218

Post by lj98 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Also, apparently the other two stated they called “Roddy” to help them pursue Arbery.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#219

Post by Flightmare » Tue May 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Interesting legal point of view on the case
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#220

Post by philip964 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:38 pm



Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#221

Post by philip964 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:21 pm

Flightmare wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:25 pm
Interesting legal point of view on the case
This guy does a pretty good job of saying the shooters are in a heap of trouble.

He says:

Trespass is not a felony in Georgia in this case because he did not steal anything or damage anything.

So can’t do a citizens arrest.

Castle doctrine is when your home against an intruder.

Stand your ground is for there.

Cannot use stand you ground when you initiate the the situation.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 54
Posts: 11398
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#222

Post by philip964 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm


User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 35
Posts: 9193
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#223

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 am

philip964 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm
https://news.yahoo.com/arbery-case-exem ... 37629.html

Stand you ground and race.
Very good read. It gives one many things to think about. One consideration at work in stand your ground laws or even self defense appears to whether or not one has instigated the situation requiring the use of deadly force. If I am not mistaken some states have a duty to retreat laws. I feel Texas comfortably falls between the two extremes of Stand your ground and duty to retreat. The one common factor of both stand your ground and self defense is that one cannot instigate the situation that required the use of deadly force.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”