Man shot while stealing car rims...

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Justin Franklin
Posts in topic: 1

Man shot while stealing car rims...

Post by Justin Franklin »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 99891.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fire1141

Re: Man shot while stealing car rims...

Post by Fire1141 »

That's one less thief in Houston. The grand jury really needs to no bill these guys, or we could see a nasty precedent

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Grand Jury should no-bill him. Deadly force is legal to protect property at night.
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

My only question would be, was the guy shot in the act or while running away? While i feel the owner is justified in either situation and the law covers him, i just hope the grand jury agrees.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

dicion

Post by dicion »

Need more info before making any kind of decision on whether it was a good shoot or not.

Right away, the fact that the shell casings were said to be in the road, and not, say in the homeowner's driveway, adds a little suspicion...

Did he get the rims, and try to flee with them? Or did he give up and run as soon as the homeowner came out, and the homeowner ran out into the street, shooting at his driving away car?
Two totally different scenarios, with 2 completely different legal repercussions.

Also, shouldn't this be in the new Crime Section?

JNMAR

Post by JNMAR »

From my point of view, running IS part of the act. There's a pretty easy way to avoid getting shot...don't steal other folks property.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

cubbyjg wrote:My only question would be, was the guy shot in the act or while running away? While i feel the owner is justified in either situation and the law covers him, i just hope the grand jury agrees.
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
According to the law, he is just as justified as if shot in the act if he had the wheels with him. I guess they need to prove when the guy was shot.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

2 typing & posting the same topic at the same time. Other one one minute ahead. Let use that one.
LT :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thread is here viewtopic.php?f=83&t=37969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The Crime Blotter”