Video, 55 secs: Minn. LEO kills bat-wielding 17 year old.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

NOS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Video, 55 secs: Minn. LEO kills bat-wielding 17 year old

Post by NOS »

TexasGal wrote:I am guessing the teen got into an argument with dad after the officer brought him home. By the time the officer was called back out, the teen had gone off the deep end of mindless fury. I remember when my son was between the ages of 15 and 18, he could get really angry out of proportion to reality. That age seems to be rough for having adequate control of emotions. I got the impression mom and dad did not reside at the same house so family problems may have had a part too. My heart goes out to the officer and to the teen's family. I see no way the officer could have done anything differently unless it had been to try using a taser if he had one.
:iagree:
The male teen brain can be set off into a frenzy with very little outside influence. I've seen teen boys tear apart their house, and go wreck their truck into a concrete wall, because they were grounded from Xbox... :shock: :roll:
It's sad that this boy lashed out at the officer and was met with deadly consequences, but there was no reasoning with him in his frenzied state. I pray for the officer, who will likely have long term mental trauma from the incident. I can only imagine what the boy's family is going through. I pray for all involved.
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have only had one encounter with a person coming toward me with a bat. I had a decent amount of distance between us and fortunately he complied with my request to put the weapon down. Could have been much worse as it occured in a dark trailer park and he was spotted by another officer as he approached from behind us. Glad the officer had no physical injury in this ordeal as he will have to deal with other fallouts from the encounter for the rest of his life.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Did you draw your weapon on the bat welding suspect?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

Excaliber wrote:
pbwalker wrote:whoa...this was my home town before I moved to TX.

DPD are a good group of officers! Good job Officer Keane.

Re: TAM's comment about pot, how about we prohibit alcohol first?
We've been there, done that. It was called Prohibition. It worked as well as the war on drugs.

It led to high prices for a simple substance that was sought after by large portions of the population, and gave rise to a violent underworld of folks to supply it while enriching themselves and corrupting legions of government officials to look the other way to protect the profits. Everybody who wanted alcohol had no trouble getting it - they just had to pay artificially high premiums above the cost of production to pay for the risk the sellers took to deliver it.

Sound familiar?
Very much so...I was just trying to draw the similarity between Alcohol and THC. How one is legal and the other illegal is beyond me.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Beiruty wrote:Did you draw your weapon on the bat welding suspect?

I did not draw my weapon on the suspect. The situation I was in would take an entire report to communicate. Sufficient distance (200+ feet) and his immediate compliance kept the gun in my holster. He was actually closing the distance between us to report an active assault in another part of the trailer park and had armed himself with a bat to go after the person doing harm to an unknown female. It is not a nice part of the county.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “The Crime Blotter”