Off Duty Deputy's throat slashed during bank robbery

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
magillapd
Posts in topic: 1

Off Duty Deputy's throat slashed during bank robbery

Post by magillapd »

“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

paulhailes

Re: Off Duty Deputy's throat slashed during bank robbery

Post by paulhailes »

We watched a video on knives in the academy... lets just say a knife can do some pretty nasty things and they should be taken very seriously.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Awfully glad the officer will recover. A slashed throat gives me the shivers.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

A knife IS a deadly weapon. Good on the deputy for keeping his wits and stopping the bad guy. Glad the deputy is going to be alright.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Being stabbed or slashed is not on my bucket list and fortunately this officer looks like he will be just fine. He was released after only a few hours in the hospital at 1400.

I am kind of curious about one thing though. He's an eight year veteran at 58 years of age? I hope that's just for this department because I didn't think any or most departments would hire a new LEO after 42.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

C-dub wrote:I am kind of curious about one thing though. He's an eight year veteran at 58 years of age? I hope that's just for this department because I didn't think any or most departments would hire a new LEO after 42.
Many departments will discount military service time - if he's retired military (a lot of the Tarrant Co deputies are), he could have been 48 when he retired, then joined the Sherrif's Office a couple of years later.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I would much rather be shot with a gun than cut with a knife by someone who knows how to use one. Of course I try to avoid both......

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Police and the FBI are investigating the robbery and the slashing, while the Sheriff's office is investigating the injured deputy's use of force, Grisham said.
What do they need to investigate? The BG slashed his throat, he shot the guy in self defense. Case closed. :banghead:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Deputy-w ... 77978.html

The above link is to a news story in text and video from WFAA-TV in Dallas, about this story.

This LEO definitely exhibited WARRIOR SPIRIT. He gives foot chase to a BG, is attacked with a knife, shoots the BG
in the head, and manages to put some rounds into the getaway car, a gray Cadillac, blowing out the windows.

By the way, not only is he a Tarrant County LEO, he also serves the Granbury Fire Dept in some capacity.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mrvmax wrote:I would much rather be shot with a gun than cut with a knife by someone who knows how to use one. Of course I try to avoid both......
Sounds like a plan to me.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JJVP wrote:
Police and the FBI are investigating the robbery and the slashing, while the Sheriff's office is investigating the injured deputy's use of force, Grisham said.
What do they need to investigate? The BG slashed his throat, he shot the guy in self defense. Case closed. :banghead:
Standard policy anytime a LEO is involved in a shooting. I would prefer they do an investigation and show that they insured the shooting was justifiable (even though it appears to be clear on the surface) than to just assume it was and allow those who will try to contest it a way to say it was a cover-up.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The Crime Blotter”