Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Post by seamusTX »

austinrealtor wrote:And not many papers put a byline on an institutional opinion - at least they didn't do so when I was in the newspaper biz.
I dunno what to tell you. The Daily News does not have anonymous editorials, never has.

I find it helpful to know who is writing the editorial, because I know their biases from other pieces that they write.

If you navigate to the main page and choose Opinions in the menu, you can see that they separate editorials and columns. Event the publisher and editor-in-chief have personal columns that are not the official opinion of the editorial board.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:And not many papers put a byline on an institutional opinion - at least they didn't do so when I was in the newspaper biz.
I dunno what to tell you. The Daily News does not have anonymous editorials, never has.
- Jim
This is getting way off-topic.

I think it's true for the larger newspapers. As Jim suggested newspapers have editorial boards that print the "position" of a newspaper's publisher or owner. That is their prerogative, but I would like to hear the opinion of the dissenters as well. That is freedom of speech.

My comment about "newspapers don't have opinions" was prompted by a previous situation when my friend sent a "letter to the editor" to a large newspaper in Northern California saying that their editorials were meaningless if they weren't written by "a person."
The editor was furious. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:As Jim suggested newspapers have editorial boards that print the "position" of a newspaper's publisher or owner. That is their prerogative, but I would like to hear the opinion of the dissenters as well.
They do sometimes. The Daily News has even had disagreements between the publisher and editor in print.

The New York Times has a position called public editor whose job is to investigate complaints about errors and bias.

Paper and ink cost money, so you don't see the same level of controversy in print newspapers that you would see online.

- Jim

Return to “The Crime Blotter”