IL: 13 yo teen killed by police at 2:30 am in alley

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IL: 13 yo teen killed by police at 2:30 am in alley

Post by crazy2medic »

What Happened to "It's 10:00 at night, do you know where your Children Are?"
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

AndyC1911 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 pm I can't blame the cop at all - gun was seen in the kid's hand and he (hand hidden from the cop's view) ditched it behind a fence.
Yes, and then the guy who was seen with a gun in his hand seconds before turned suddenly and faced the officer who perceived an immediate deadly threat. The officer's decision to fire and the beginning of his trigger press was almost certainly simultaneous with the suspect raising his hands, which would not have been able to be perceived as empty until they were at least at waist level. It's virtually impossible to stop the firing of a handgun at this point (from another Force Science Institute study).

If the suspect had raised his hands and turned slowly so the officer could see the gun wasn't in his hand he wouldn't have been shot, but he chose to move his body in exactly the way one would expect someone with murderous intent to move.

This isn't an officer training issue - it's a suspect behavior issue putting an officer in a no-win situation. If the officer had waited to confirm that the gun was still in the suspect's hand and it actually was, the officer would have been shot.

I place blame for the outcome first on negligent parents who let a 13 year old run around with armed criminals at 2:30 AM, and a suspect who was too clever by half by trying to stealthily ditch the gun and then do the "What gun, I ain't got no gun" with raised hands act. His decision to make his turn toward the officer as fast as he did was the final element that sealed his fate.

In my opinion would-be critics should try making 2:30 AM life and death decisions in dark alleys day after day and getting every one exactly right for 20+ years before they condemn those who do this for a living.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

In this case I’d say that the officer did his best to use his judgment and act accordingly. I feel bad that the kid lost his life, very sad ordeal. Nothing good happens at that time in dark alleys, especially when your strolling with a gun when police are trying to make contact.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

oohrah wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 pm Cop was poorly trained. Another black man dead at the hands of the police. The police need to start policing the police.
You obviously didn’t even read the article. The kid was Latino not black. The perpetually offended community need to start policing themselves for both parental and personal responsibility.

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC1911 »

Excaliber wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 am This isn't an officer training issue - it's a suspect behavior issue putting an officer in a no-win situation.
Ding-ding-ding.
Excaliber wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 am In my opinion would-be critics should try making 2:30 AM life and death decisions in dark alleys day after day and getting every one exactly right for 20+ years before they condemn those who do this for a living.
I volunteer oorah for Force-on-Force training; it's quite apparent he doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't mean that in a bad way at all; I simply believe the exposure would highlight that things aren't as cut-and-dried as he always seems to presume.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

BigGuy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 pm
mrvmax wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am Like I stated before, it won’t be long until the only people that want to be in law enforcement are the criminals. Nobody else will want to do it. Wait until that happens.
:iagree:
Hey, maybe that's the plan. Let the criminals become cops, THEN you can hang them for things like picking their noses in public.

Clockwork Orange.
and I doubt IA or a DA will do anything to them....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “The Crime Blotter”