Are you prepared for this?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Are you prepared for this?

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -underway/

Carjacked in drive thru.

And yes Houston.
Attachments
9D1E8C99-ADF6-40CE-9CEF-A2E42BEF54A5.jpeg

oljames3

Re: Are you prepared for this?

Post by oljames3 »

John Farnam's Rules.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cirus

Post by cirus »

I'm in bed at 3:30 AM.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

cirus wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:22 pm I'm in bed at 3:30 AM.
Maybe the guy that got car jacked works a night shift. Back in my younger days I worked in a union job at DFW airport. Shifts are by seniority. I was stuck on a grave yard shift for 3 years. My lunch break was from 3-4 am. I saw some real weird stuff while getting food at that hour.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:38 pm
Maybe the guy that got car jacked works a night shift. Back in my younger days I worked in a union job at DFW airport. Shifts are by seniority. I was stuck on a grave yard shift for 3 years. My lunch break was from 3-4 am. I saw some real weird stuff while getting food at that hour.
:iagree: When I joined a company in the computer business, those of us in repair got to spend time on the off-shifts. I worked center city Philadelphia on 3rd shift for more than a year. Forum decorum will not allow me to describe some of the things that i saw but I learned where to stay away from. We had to rely on a few places to eat since there weren't a lot of choices at 3am. Our parts center was across from the Reading train station, not a good place even in the daylight. Interestingly, one of my friends was robbed at the parts center at 10am.

One thing that I learned was to move quickly. Sitting in a car for very long anywhere was not a good thing. I blew through a lot of traffic signals when there were bodies on the corner. The signals cycle even when there is no opposing traffic and the "locals" knew how to target a stopped car if you were foolish enough do that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:38 pm
:iagree: When I joined a company in the computer business, those of us in repair got to spend time on the off-shifts. I worked center city Philadelphia on 3rd shift for more than a year. Forum decorum will not allow me to describe some of the things that i saw but I learned where to stay away from. We had to rely on a few places to eat since there weren't a lot of choices at 3am. Our parts center was across from the Reading train station, not a good place even in the daylight. Interestingly, one of my friends was robbed at the parts center at 10am.

One thing that I learned was to move quickly. Sitting in a car for very long anywhere was not a good thing. I blew through a lot of traffic signals when there were bodies on the corner. The signals cycle even when there is no opposing traffic and the "locals" knew how to target a stopped car if you were foolish enough do that.
One story I will share. There was a Denny's just off airport property. Friday mornings was our Denny's day. The drunks would start coming through. We watched a guy eating food off the pictures on his menu. He had no food of coarse, he just thought the pictures were food. He really seemed to be enjoying his meal. We were dying laughing.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Might be safer to go inside. At least you can get to your gun easier. Unless you keep it in your lap in the car.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

John Farnam's rules of stupid.

John Correia's frequent exhortation that 1) your car is a defensive tool, 2) your car is a vulnerable place when stopped, 3) lock your stickin' doors, 4) be aware.

I've trained on defense in and around vehicles with Karl Rehn, John Murphy, Chuck Haggard, and Hock Hockheim. Also on the legal aspects with attorney Andrew Branca.

Given that this attack is an ambush, and by definition is a surprise, we start from a deficit. A good way to prepare is to build a set of validated skills and what Tom Givens calls "pre-made decisions."
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

oljames3 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:32 pm John Farnam's rules of stupid.

John Correia's frequent exhortation that 1) your car is a defensive tool, 2) your car is a vulnerable place when stopped, 3) lock your stickin' doors, 4) be aware.

I've trained on defense in and around vehicles with Karl Rehn, John Murphy, Chuck Haggard, and Hock Hockheim. Also on the legal aspects with attorney Andrew Branca.

Given that this attack is an ambush, and by definition is a surprise, we start from a deficit. A good way to prepare is to build a set of validated skills and what Tom Givens calls "pre-made decisions."
The video of this robbery is posted on Stopping a Car Jacking at a Gas Station right below this one.

They run up from behind as he appears to be ordering with his window down. So he starts at a deficit.

Not being in a drive thru at 3:30 am seems the best defense for those of us who do not have the fastest reactions. Gas pedal might be the only other option, but it still leaves them shooting at the car as you leave.

TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomV »

Am I different? If I'm at a drive thru, my truck never comes out of drive. Just hit the gas?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Never let them get that close. If I'm in a drive thru, I'm leaving before the get within 2 feet of my window.

If I'm trapped (by a one-lane drive thru) then my gun is out before they hit the window.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm Never let them get that close. If I'm in a drive thru, I'm leaving before the get within 2 feet of my window.

If I'm trapped (by a one-lane drive thru) then my gun is out before they hit the window.
I'd guess that this was on the order of a Tueller drill. With the BGs coming out of the darkness and running up to the car, I don't think that I would have been able to respond to do anything before they were at the window. They can get there faster than I can go through the OODA loop.

Again, it is not the same but I had an incident with similar timing. I was walking my 18lb leashed dog on the street. I saw some people movement at the front door of a house about 50 yards away and thought nothing of it. My eyes picked up a flash of something at the front of a car parked in front of the door to that house. 2 seconds later there was a 60lb pit bull dog on my dog, trying to tear her apart. The pit bill didn't live at the house so I had to process the fact that such an animal was actually there. It was coming almost too fast for my eyes to track it, not knowing what it was. I've run the memory of the attack over and over in my mind, trying to think what I could have done differently. My head was already on a swivel because I picked up the people movement. One of them opened the door and the dog unexpectedly was ready to bolt through the opening as soon as that opening was big enough. The pit bull had seen my dog through a window and had gone to the door, waiting for the opportunity to get through it. The person opening the door reported as much surprise as I had over the incident.

Perhaps it is just my age but if I'm not already tracking something, 2-3 seconds it just not enough time to get my wits about me. I'd bet that if you backed up a 2-3 second run from the drive through location, the background would obscure everything. It is one of those situations where the only way to win is to not be there. IMHO
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “The Crime Blotter”