Uvalde School shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

carlson1
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Uvalde School shooting

Post by carlson1 »

I would like to see everyone of them relieved of duty. There were many Troopers on scene also. At one time I seen a Lieutenant from DPS. Why did they not take command? They are the State Police and certainly had authority. It is sickening to me.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

I am a strong pro police supporter. Watching them in the video shamed me.

Just what was this a reflection of?

Leadership, administration, communication, politics, budget, training, organization, courage?

After the 'lessons learned' session each actor must be evaluated independently. Remember blame often rolls down hill.

Yes heads should roll and accountability be addressed, but we now have some experienced & good people involved in this. Failure is a cruel lesson to forget.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Paladin
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Paladin »

Some new information:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

Excellent video
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

philip964
Posts in topic: 52

Post by philip964 »

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/07 ... ent-shows/

Zero hesitation. Heros Uvalde says about officers. Saved 500 lives.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:09 pm https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/07 ... ent-shows/

Zero hesitation. Heros Uvalde says about officers. Saved 500 lives.
Good to get the City's position in writing. Now we have a confession that the stand down was acceptable to the City. The fact that a shield was inside the hallway At 11:52 does not seem to help there argument that it was okay to wait another hour until 12:50. City forgot to mention the external windows with good cover or the fact that the murderer was hiding in a closet?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

Have not had a chance to read the Texas House Committee report but here it is:

Report says 376 LEO's responded, various news are reporting 377 or rounding up to nearly 400.

https://house.texas.gov/_media/pdf/comm ... Report.pdf

:mad5

“They failed to prioritize saving the lives of innocent victims over their own safety,” the report read, openly criticizing law enforcement for failing to act in the face of a clear emergency — and making it clear that the biggest failure had not been in a lack of manpower or equipment but a lack of leadership and communication at a critical moment.

While much of the heat in the wake of the shooting has been directed at local authorities — Uvalde school district officers and local sheriff’s deputies — the report indicated that the overwhelming majority of responders on the scene had been state police officers (91) and U.S. Border Patrol agents (149). The remainder were U.S. Marshals, federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) officers, and local authorities from neighboring counties.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/egregiou ... d-anything
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AF-Odin »

Let me just say that after reading all of this, it was a very difficult read. Lack of adherence to established procedures for locking doors, over reliance on technology with the Raptor system and never using the functional school PA system to alert for lockdown. A clear unwillingness of anyone to step up and say, "I am in charge now let's get this done."
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

No one has answered this so I will throw it out one more time. Once the DPS Lieutenant arrived could not the State Police take over and settle this? If that is true then why is Colonel McGraw the top cop running this investigation? Our State Troopers obviously failed. You would not have put 19 Troopers and one DPS Lieutenant on a scene in thr 80’s and them not take over.

Next if the Sheriff is the highest law Enforcement Officer in the County why did the Sheriff’s Office not attempt to take charge?

srothstein
Posts in topic: 16

Post by srothstein »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:36 pm No one has answered this so I will throw it out one more time. Once the DPS Lieutenant arrived could not the State Police take over and settle this? If that is true then why is Colonel McGraw the top cop running this investigation? Our State Troopers obviously failed. You would not have put 19 Troopers and one DPS Lieutenant on a scene in thr 80’s and them not take over.

Next if the Sheriff is the highest law Enforcement Officer in the County why did the Sheriff’s Office not attempt to take charge?
One of the flaws of the law enforcement system in the US is that each agency is independent and has no authority over other agencies. A city officer is neither above nor below a county officer or a state officer. The general rule is that the first agency on the scene has control over it. Any other officer responding is an assisting officer. There have been many known cases of arguments over which officer is responsible for handling what call, but they are almost always officers saying "Not Me." For example, officers may argue that an accident is in the city limits or in the county, with the county officer saying it is the city officer's jurisdiction and the city officer saying it is not in the city and the county officer has to handle it.

I should point out that these are almost never emergency calls and officers will work as needed to get the emergency handled and then argue about the report being written later.

In the instant case, I don't know whether the Uvalde City Officer was first or the ISD officer was. Either way, other responding officers would not have authority to order anyone to do anything other than when protecting a crime scene and telling them to get out of it. For complex incidents like this, there is a system the feds have produced (ICS) that is supposed to resolve who is in charge and set up a command post to run things. of course, it was designed for disasters like floods or tornadoes, where the incident takes a lot of time and agencies working together to resolve. It was not designed for the short time emergency of a shooting in progress. In theory, the incident should have been handled before there was enough time for a command post to be set up and take over command.

This was a complete breakdown of how a police response should be. I have tried a few times to explain possible causes of how this came to be so messed up, but I truly do not understand it. It truly should have been the first officer on scene handling and giving instructions. I assume some supervisor made the scene from one of the first agencies and that is what led to part of the confusion. If they did not take charge, who will?

As you might be able to tell, I do not believe a true "what happened and why" after action analysis has been done yet. This turned into a political cover-up and blame game too quickly to let the analysis go. ALERRT is who i would trust the most for this normally, but they got talked into doing an investigation first, instead of waiting and analyzing the results of the other investigations and an after action analysis. They were not allowed to consider some of the things that are not politically popular to look at, like why officers are not taking pro-active action. I am hoping they get to go back later and do a better analysis so that we can do training on avoiding this kind of mess up again.
Steve Rothstein

bbhack
Posts in topic: 8

Post by bbhack »

There are points in history after which nothing is like it was, nothing is the same, the old game plans and rule books and talking points are garbage. This is one of those times.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 51

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

What I saw was a hallway full of cowards. Any man who would just stand there while children are being slaughtered is not a man. I don't give a damn what or who was in charge. There is no way in hell I would just stand there like a coward while kids are being slaughtered. I might end up dead but I would die as a man, not live as a cowardly unic. Fire every darned one of them. A real man does not have to wait "for orders" in such a situation.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I don’t understand the Officer who’s wife had been shot that just stood in the hallway. I would have went through hell in gasoline soaked Pajamas to get to my wounded wife. I wouldn’t know have stood at ease checking text.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 51

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:34 am I don’t understand the Officer who’s wife had been shot that just stood in the hallway. I would have went through hell in gasoline soaked Pajamas to get to my wounded wife. I wouldn’t know have stood at ease checking text.
EXACTLY!!!! His wife and the other teacher died on the way to the hospital. Now he has to live with knowing he let her bleed out while he stood shaking like a coward in the hall. My gosh! How many of those children could have been saved. It makes my stomach turn. There is NO defense or excuse for the way those cowards performed.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Return to “The Crime Blotter”