Uvalde School shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 52

Re: Uvalde School shooting

Post by philip964 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:50 am Girl, 15, got text from Uvalde school shooter before he massacred 21 - but did nothing
The teenage girl just replied "cool" and did not alert the police
I just wonder who else encouraged/enabled Ramos. My guess is Arredondo knew who Ramos was, but took no action against him, even though Ramos should have been in jail for unlawful threats and animal cruelty.
Anyone figure out how he bought expensive guns working at Burger King? Anyone in govt trying to find out?

Paladin
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:55 pm
Paladin wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:50 am Girl, 15, got text from Uvalde school shooter before he massacred 21 - but did nothing
The teenage girl just replied "cool" and did not alert the police
I just wonder who else encouraged/enabled Ramos. My guess is Arredondo knew who Ramos was, but took no action against him, even though Ramos should have been in jail for unlawful threats and animal cruelty.
Anyone figure out how he bought expensive guns working at Burger King? Anyone in govt trying to find out?
Not that I know of. I'm glad that state authorities released a lot of information initially... which makes it clear the legacy media bias is not ignorance, but malice. There is no word who helped train the shooter (uncle stated he couldn't even load his rifle). There is no word on how local law enforcement supposedly didn't know the shooter, who's longtime nickname was "school shooter" and threatened to rape every female around him... somehow didn't know who the shooter was. I feel bad for Ulvade, but it would seem this shooter was protected both before and during the tragedy.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Cousin of Uvalde school shooter arrested for alleged threats to school: 'Do the same thing'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cousin-uvald ... same-thing

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

Anyone figure out how he bought expensive guns working at Burger King?
Hmmmm.....how do you spell FBI?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:16 am
Anyone figure out how he bought expensive guns working at Burger King?
$3 billion/year does buy a lot of synthetic terrorism
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, just for a smile, when the FBI was surveilling someone on "The Simpsons", they were in a van marked

Flowers By Irene.

Yuck yuck.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

FRONTLINE got ahold of some of the statements and body cameras of the responders:

It becomes very clear that they knew victims were desperately waiting for rescue well before an attempt was made and that no one took charge or even checked to see if the door was unlocked.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/AzxqOxPWaSc24a6ZVvYuKqQ

DOJ report. Police response a failure.

Took 600 days to figure that out.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:55 am https://apple.news/AzxqOxPWaSc24a6ZVvYuKqQ

Yeah, that was pretty obvious from the beginning. 600 days later what is needed are solutions that have been implemented. Paul Howe suggests more realistic standards and better training. I don't see that happening. Major leadership problems and high risk areas like Uvalde schools which were left to be soft targets seem to be in the process of being addressed.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:03 pm
philip964 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:55 am https://apple.news/AzxqOxPWaSc24a6ZVvYuKqQ

Yeah, that was pretty obvious from the beginning. 600 days later what is needed are solutions that have been implemented. Paul Howe suggests more realistic standards and better training. I don't see that happening. Major leadership problems and high risk areas like Uvalde schools which were left to be soft targets seem to be in the process of being addressed.
Where did he get the money to buy guns I cannot afford?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Report shows the crime scenes were contaminated:
Observation 4: Body-worn camera (BWC) video captures officers walking into the crime scene without an investigative purpose or responsibility in the immediate aftermath of the incident. Furthermore, in the days that followed, crime scene preservation was compromised, and the crime scene team had to continually stop and start their important work when non-investigatory personnel entered the hallway and classrooms 111/112 for the purpose of viewing the scene.648
648 CIR Fact Finding.
Recommendation 4.1: Leaders must respect the integrity of the crime scene and only access it with a declared and documented legitimate purpose. Crime scenes need to be held without contamination until completed. The crime scene team should be permitted to do their methodical work without continuous interruptions by VIPs who want to enter the crime scene but have no probative need to do so.

Observation 5: The crime scene at the car wreck was washed out by rain prior to the collection of any evidence. The FBI offered to process the truck and warned of the rain coming, suggesting they move the truck to a secure and dry location. They also offered to cover the truck with a tarp. These offers were rebuffed by TXDPS leadership.
Recommendation 5.1: Investigative teams must properly assess weather conditions and the timing of investigative activities—particularly evidence collection—that must be conducted outside in the elements.
https://cops.usdoj.gov/uvalde

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:27 pm Report shows the crime scenes were contaminated:
Observation 4: Body-worn camera (BWC) video captures officers walking into the crime scene without an investigative purpose or responsibility in the immediate aftermath of the incident. Furthermore, in the days that followed, crime scene preservation was compromised, and the crime scene team had to continually stop and start their important work when non-investigatory personnel entered the hallway and classrooms 111/112 for the purpose of viewing the scene.648
648 CIR Fact Finding.
Recommendation 4.1: Leaders must respect the integrity of the crime scene and only access it with a declared and documented legitimate purpose. Crime scenes need to be held without contamination until completed. The crime scene team should be permitted to do their methodical work without continuous interruptions by VIPs who want to enter the crime scene but have no probative need to do so.

Observation 5: The crime scene at the car wreck was washed out by rain prior to the collection of any evidence. The FBI offered to process the truck and warned of the rain coming, suggesting they move the truck to a secure and dry location. They also offered to cover the truck with a tarp. These offers were rebuffed by TXDPS leadership.
Recommendation 5.1: Investigative teams must properly assess weather conditions and the timing of investigative activities—particularly evidence collection—that must be conducted outside in the elements.
https://cops.usdoj.gov/uvalde
Had an old friend who was in WW2. His estate auctioned his belongings. I bought a box of his old stuff. He was a photographer in that war. Included was a Crash Pass to allow him entry into airplane crash sites. So in 1944 they had ways to keep people out of scenes that needed investigation.

A friend said they read the parents were not allowed to see or identify their children. It was done by DNA. So they could not be with their dead child for what a week. So very sad.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 16

Post by srothstein »

One reason I cannot trust the report is that it was done by the DOJ. I do not trust the federal government very much in good times, and I especially do not trust them under this administration. A second major reason I cannot trust the report is that it was prepared by bureaucrats and lawyers. None of them have experience in police work to say what tactics were used correctly and not used correctly.

An example of this lack of knowledge is discussed above. The truck involved in the accident scene was left out and rained on, contaminating any possible evidence to be collected from it. What evidence was necessary to find in the truck? It was obviously driven by the shooter since he was seen in it and leaving it. Did he leave weapons or ammo in it? They would not have been harmed by the rain that quickly. Other than that, there was nothing of probative value I can think of in the truck.

Yes, I have a very dim view of the police investigation after the shooting. If we know who committed the crime, how he committed it, and who the victim's are, the purpose of the investigation is to collect evidence to prosecute. If he did not survive, there is no prosecution possible, so what is there to investigate? Are we going to prosecute the officers for not going in? That might justify some evidence collection, but I don't see that happening (not saying it shouldn't just that I don't think it will). An after action review to find out what went wrong should be done for sure. But the Governor announcing on the news that the police had screwed up less than an hour after the shooting contaminates the minds of everyone and turns any investigation into a hunt for a scapegoat to blame - and gets everyone involved running for cover to make sure they are not the chosen scapegoat.

That leaves everyone still ignoring the issues that helped contribute to the problem, such as the mixed departments responding and the lack of a single communication system (a problem called interoperability in the police communications world). More training on command and control at such scenes would help also, but hardening of the schools would be the biggest help.

And the law passed as a result may do a lot to get that hardening. Every school campus is required to have an armed officer or staff member there now. Of course, there are loopholes in the law allowing ISDs to waive it for themselves but it is a start.
Steve Rothstein

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Uvalde DOJ report overview with Paul Howe:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Just like the Texas reports, the DOJ report discusses unlocked doors:
UCISD had a culture of complacency regarding locked-door policies. Both exterior and interior doors were routinely left unlocked, and there was no enforced system of accountability for these policies. Door audits were conducted, but not done systematically, nor were they documented. On May 24, all of the exterior doors and at least eight interior doors of the West Building, where the incident took place, were unlocked. (Observation 8)
School districts should invest in upgrading or replacing all doors (or locks) throughout its campuses to remedy this issue, so that doors can be locked from the inside. (Recommendation 9.1)
The exterior doors to the Robb Elementary West Building are required by policy to be set to lock. However, the only way to confirm that they are locked is by opening the door and testing the handle from the outside.
the CIR team believes there is a possibility that the initial assault included entering each of the classrooms from the hallway.
I believe the primary failure at Uvalde was not arresting/convicting the perp on his significant criminal activity before the event. Its hard to launch an attack on a school from prison .. but the negligent physical security at the school was probably the second largest contributor to this disaster.

If the external doors were locked, as they were supposed to be, or if the classroom doors in proper condition (locks were broken), then its possible no one but the perp would have died. There were actually multiple, easily fixed, failures in physical security.

This is an easy, low cost fix.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”