TX: man arrested after killing shoplifter fighting with store employees

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: man arrested after killing shoplifter fighting with store employees

Post by OneGun »

It is because of the situation described in this thread that I am more likely to mind my own business unless I see someone at risk of great bodily injury or death. I don't know if the fight between the thief and the employees was a scuffle or if the thief was landing major hard blows. With the current crop of progressive DAs that protect criminals at the expense of the citizens, I'm more likely to not insert myself into a situation. It is a shame that we live in a world that protects the criminals and the unintended consequences that follow.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

OneGun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:43 pm It is because of the situation described in this thread that I am more likely to mind my own business unless I see someone at risk of great bodily injury or death. I don't know if the fight between the thief and the employees was a scuffle or if the thief was landing major hard blows. With the current crop of progressive DAs that protect criminals at the expense of the citizens, I'm more likely to not insert myself into a situation. It is a shame that we live in a world that protects the criminals and the unintended consequences that follow.
It's one of these type situations that perhaps a verbal "HEY!" might be enough distraction. Very low chance of legal liability issues arising from a simple shout as opposed to physical involvement.

Several of the scenarios I was put in when I took the local citizen's police academy were chaotic that required split second decisions to determine victim from assailant. In today's environment, it may not be so black and white. I've seen videos where customers are assaulted by employees for disagreeing, and vice versa.

Unless I had witnessed the full encounter, I would be uncomfortable getting involved physically, out of concern for assisting the would-be bad-guy to flee (potentially best case scenario if I guessed wrong). I have already decided I'm not going to use deadly force to stop someone from stealing "stuff". That being said, based on the news article this was more than just pure shoplifting as it had escalated to assault. It will be interesting to see what additional information comes out of this. I'd honestly like to see the store security footage.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

More commentary on the incident:
"Just from looking at it, this guy was going about his business at the store and saw something that alarmed him, and he took action based on something that he really perceived was necessary at that time," Rogers said. "Based on the facts as I read them in this affidavit, I believe that’s a clear robbery where the person is starting to use force to enable him to complete the offense of theft."

Dallas police confirm it labels the initial offense as a robbery.

According to search records, Jackson does not have a criminal history. He waited for police to arrive and agreed to an interview at headquarters.

Jackson said he was "concerned for the safety of the two women" and aimed for Betts’ leg. It’s unclear where Betts was hit.

"Then it’s going to be up to a grand jury to decide whether they believe self-defense applies clearly or if they believe there’s probably cause that it doesn’t apply and that it should go to a trial," Rogers said.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:16 pm
OneGun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:43 pm It is because of the situation described in this thread that I am more likely to mind my own business unless I see someone at risk of great bodily injury or death. I don't know if the fight between the thief and the employees was a scuffle or if the thief was landing major hard blows. With the current crop of progressive DAs that protect criminals at the expense of the citizens, I'm more likely to not insert myself into a situation. It is a shame that we live in a world that protects the criminals and the unintended consequences that follow.
It's one of these type situations that perhaps a verbal "HEY!" might be enough distraction. Very low chance of legal liability issues arising from a simple shout as opposed to physical involvement.

Several of the scenarios I was put in when I took the local citizen's police academy were chaotic that required split second decisions to determine victim from assailant. In today's environment, it may not be so black and white. I've seen videos where customers are assaulted by employees for disagreeing, and vice versa.

Unless I had witnessed the full encounter, I would be uncomfortable getting involved physically, out of concern for assisting the would-be bad-guy to flee (potentially best case scenario if I guessed wrong). I have already decided I'm not going to use deadly force to stop someone from stealing "stuff". That being said, based on the news article this was more than just pure shoplifting as it had escalated to assault. It will be interesting to see what additional information comes out of this. I'd honestly like to see the store security footage.
You just expressed my feelings on this perfectly. Especially the part about not using deadly force to prevent someone from stealing. Unless of coarse they are using a firearm to do the stealing but that is mostly because I have no way of knowing if the perp is going to start shooting after they get what they want.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Good example on as to why mental due diligence is so important. While it is tempting to root for the “good” guy who shot the “bad” guy, if the information gathered thus far is correct, the line between when a “good” guy becomes a “bad” guy himself, under the letter of law, and the “bad” guy becomes the victim, is not that clear cut in this case.

Speaking of the case, why did the “good” guy pick up his spent case? Aside from tempering with evidence in the homicide, was he trying to make sure there is no primer drag, or is he into reloading? Maybe he did not want to litter?

Anyone else find this just a tad strange?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

parabelum wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:49 amSpeaking of the case, why did the “good” guy pick up his spent case? Aside from tempering with evidence in the homicide, was he trying to make sure there is no primer drag, or is he into reloading? Maybe he did not want to litter?

Anyone else find this just a tad strange?
It is strange. But the mind does weird things under stress and he was under stress at that point. I am guessing he normally has to police up his brass when shooting at his range (I know several indoor ranges where you have to sweep it all up) or he was a veteran who when he learned to shoot was forced to do this by drill sergeants and it stuck with him without thinking about it.

But it does give the DA an argument to make him look bad by saying he was destroying evidence.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “The Crime Blotter”