TX: Mean streets of Italy

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Mean streets of Italy

Post by philip964 »

SigM4

Re: TX: Mean streets of Italy

Post by SigM4 »

Phillip, I know you mean well by posting articles constantly. But I for one would appreciate some commentary on them, i.e. why you felt the need to post it, or why it’s relevant to this board, etc. Also, the “Mean streets of …” title is getting old.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

I agree in this. While we appreciate topics that are related to self defense and concealed carry, just posting any crime is not what this section was intended for. Please keep the posts relevant to our focus for this forum.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

SigM4 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm Also, the “Mean streets of …” title is getting old.
:iagree:

Ditto the titles “Nobody but” and “No place but”

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

SigM4 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm Phillip, I know you mean well by posting articles constantly. But I for one would appreciate some commentary on them, i.e. why you felt the need to post it, or why it’s relevant to this board, etc. Also, the “Mean streets of …” title is getting old.
In this case, it illustrates that mass murder can and will occur without guns. It is man ( in this case woman ) not the tool.

I am old, in times gone by computer memory was expensive, moderators required that the number of separate threads be kept to a minimum. Old habits die slowly. Plus when you visit Mean streets of Houston, you see a history of how violent the city is and why having and carrying a gun is so important. We can hope Italy, Texas is spared this fate.

It also alerts you to what you will find so you can pass over it, if you wish..

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 am
SigM4 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm Also, the “Mean streets of …” title is getting old.

Yep.

Honestly, having to wade through thread after thread of reposted news articles is why I don't come here much anymore.
TANSTAAFL

Mel

Post by Mel »

It would really be nice if we had a way to "Ignore" individual threads like we can "Ignore" individual posters.

Example: "1". This thread was cute at first, but it has long outlasted it's cuteness.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

74novaman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:42 am
Grayling813 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 am

Yep.

Honestly, having to wade through thread after thread of reposted news articles is why I don't come here much anymore.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Mel wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:29 am It would really be nice if we had a way to "Ignore" individual threads like we can "Ignore" individual posters.

Example: "1". This thread was cute at first, but it has long outlasted it's cuteness.
Personally, I find it easy to ignore the "mean streets" threads and the "1" thread. I haven't opened the latter in months and I seldom open the mean streets threads. Random violence in cities is the reason I don't live there. I did open this one because I live in Ellis County and Italy is close to home. I find it more tragic when violence occurs in a small town than in the cities. Just my two cents.
Charlie

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Sometimes I read them, and sometimes I skip them. They don't bother me. Skipping is easy because they are clearly titled, just like the "1" and Covid threads.
It doesn't hurt the gun-grabbers who monitor the forum to see that a lot of violence doesn't involve any firearms.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I feel about the same as Boxerrider. Sometimes I read them, sometimes I skip them. They don't really bother me either. Truth be told, the forum doesn't seem to have near the level of posts it did several years ago. I don't see any harm in these posts. They may actually be helping to keep enough traffic on the site to keep it active.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:37 amThey may actually be helping to keep enough traffic on the site to keep it active.
My fear is that it’s just the opposite. When I come here and the recent topic list is dominated by reposted articles it makes it hard to wade through to find relevant LTC and self defense discussions. I know it’s driven down my own viewing of the forum.
Last edited by SigM4 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

SigM4 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:27 am My fear is that it’s just the opposite. When I come here and the recent topic list is dominated by reposted articles it makes it hard to wade through to find repentant LTC and self defense discussions. I know it’s driven down my own viewing of the forum.
I agree.

I’ve been a member here since 2009 when I first got a CHL.

Learning more about quirks specific to Texas laws about carrying and self defense, talk about guns, gear, whats going on during the legislative sessions in Austin, all of that drove my interest in this forum and engaging with its members.

When the new topics are always nothing but a bunch of reposted news articles I can find everywhere else on the web, theres no reason to come here or attempt to participate in any discussion.

Its spam and its absolutely driven down the quality of the forum, in my opinion.
TANSTAAFL

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

philip964 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:34 am
SigM4 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm Phillip, I know you mean well by posting articles constantly. But I for one would appreciate some commentary on them, i.e. why you felt the need to post it, or why it’s relevant to this board, etc. Also, the “Mean streets of …” title is getting old.
In this case, it illustrates that mass murder can and will occur without guns. It is man ( in this case woman ) not the tool.

I am old, in times gone by computer memory was expensive, moderators required that the number of separate threads be kept to a minimum. Old habits die slowly. Plus when you visit Mean streets of Houston, you see a history of how violent the city is and why having and carrying a gun is so important. We can hope Italy, Texas is spared this fate.

It also alerts you to what you will find so you can pass over it, if you wish..
There are hundreds if not thousands of websites that feature national, state and local news/ crime reports that people can go to if they are interested in keeping up with it.
Anyone coming here with any frequency already understands why carrying a is important to them.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

At least we can find out about truck accessories, insurance rates, and breakfast meets.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “The Crime Blotter”