Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Post by CompVest »

Oldgringo wrote:
Yankee Girl wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Another advantage of living in a small town; at HEB, if I have more than 2-3 bags and/or the baby with me, the bagger always offers to get someone to help.
This HEB (I shop there at least twice a week), the folks always offer to do the same. I've always said no thank you, as I'm perfectly capable of managing the groceries, but now I wonder ... would an extra person make me less of an opportunity, or would I be putting some teenager in jeopardy by agreeing to the help ...
You are the customer and HEB, and any other merchant, owes their customers reasonable security while on their premises. The merchants' teenage employees are not your concern, they are the merchants' concern.
I disagree if I am expecting anybody to be part of my protection they are my concern! Personally, I do think that having someone with you will make you less of a target. However, I intend to continue to work on my skill sets so that I can depend on me!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mrvmax »

Yankee Girl wrote:Did you see where they arrested three guys for this?

http://www.groupbuilder.net/uploads/Cit ... Arrest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link, that is information they never even offered to us.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Given that it is a government press release, I don't think there are any copyright issues... :mrgreen:
City of Friendswood
News Release
Sept. 8, 2010
For Release:
Sept. 8, 2010

Three Charged in Friendswood Robbery

FRIENDSWOOD – Three men arrested by the Friendswood and Houston Police Department have been charged in the armed robbery of a Friendswood woman on September 1.

Jorge Alfonso Martinez, 25, Rodolfo Martinez Maldonado, 21, and Mario Martinez Maldonado, 19, have been charged with Aggravated Robbery in connection with the robbery in the HEB parking lot, 701 W. Parkwood. The men approached the woman with a gun and took her purse.

The robbery was part of a three hour crime spree by the trio. Houston Police records indicate that the group committed similar robberies off Edgebrook at approximately 11:00 a.m. Twenty-five minutes later they committed the same offense at the Walmart on El Dorado. The Friendswood robbery was next, followed by a robbery in La Marque, of which the trio is also suspected. In all four robberies the suspects produced a gun and ordered the female victims to give up their purses. None of the victims were physically injured.

In La Marque, the victim fired her personal gun at the suspects as they fled.

Houston Police arrested Martinez for a traffic violation late September 1. Working together, Friendswood, La Marque and Houston detectives connected the trio to the four robberies.

The vehicle Martinez was driving had several bullet holes which may be connected to the La Marque robbery. The 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is being processed by HPD investigators. Property taken from the victims has been recovered at the residence of two of the suspects.

The suspects are being held at the Harris County jail pending posting of bond as follows:

Jorge Martinez – 2 counts of Aggravated Robbery with a Deadly Weapon - $80,000 bond per charge and the Friendswood, Galveston County charge of Aggravated Robbery with a $100,000 bond.

Rodolfo Maldonado – Aggravated Robbery with a Deadly Weapon and Aggravated Robbery of a person over 65 - $35,000 bond per charge and the Friendswood, Galveston County charge of Aggravated Robbery with a $100,000 bond.

Mario Maldonado - Aggravated Robbery with a Deadly Weapon and Aggravated Robbery of a person over 65 - $35,000 bond per charge and the Friendswood, Galveston County charge of Aggravated Robbery with a $100,000 bond.

The two Maldonados are brothers. Martinez is their cousin. All are from Houston.

Friendswood Police Department
1600 Whitaker
Friendswood, Texas 77546
Phone: 281-996-3300
Fax: 281-996-3304

Individuals can register for instant e-mail alerts regarding emergency notices or any City information. These notices will be generated automatically from the City to the e-mail address that is registered. Go to the City’s website at http://www.ci.friendswood.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on “Sign Up for E-mail Alerts”. Please monitor the City’s website for regular updates, or contact the City Manager’s Office at 281-996-3250. Citizens may also monitor the City of Friendswood Information Channel, AM 1650.
####
USAF 1982-2005

KFP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KFP »

I found it interesting (though not surprising) that they decided to call it a day after one of their victims fought back. :thumbs2:

Hopefully they'll all spend a lot of time locked up.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Yankee Girl
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Yankee Girl »

Oldgringo wrote:
Yankee Girl wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Another advantage of living in a small town; at HEB, if I have more than 2-3 bags and/or the baby with me, the bagger always offers to get someone to help.
This HEB (I shop there at least twice a week), the folks always offer to do the same. I've always said no thank you, as I'm perfectly capable of managing the groceries, but now I wonder ... would an extra person make me less of an opportunity, or would I be putting some teenager in jeopardy by agreeing to the help ...
You are the customer and HEB, and any other merchant, owes their customers reasonable security while on their premises. The merchants' teenage employees are not your concern, they are the merchants' concern.
Perhaps legally, that is so, but as a mother of a teenager, I would not want my own son to be placed in unnecessary jeopardy, and therefore would not willing put another parent's son in unnecessary jeopardy.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Oldgringo »

CompVest wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Yankee Girl wrote:
I disagree if I am expecting anybody to be part of my protection they are my concern! Personally, I do think that having someone with you will make you less of a target. However, I intend to continue to work on my skill sets so that I can depend on me!
:headscratch

The store employees are the store employees doing their job of taking out the customer's purchases. Providing protection to the customer is coincidental to taking out the customers' purchases. If protection is required, a whole new set of questions and liabilities come into play.

Agreed! Everyone should continually practice situational awareness and be prepared to drop the BG's on the spot with a minimum number of shots.

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:

Great work ... !! :clapping: :cheers2: :clapping:

Law Men !!! :txflag:

(( Some one send them a Thanks // Reward !! ))

Mac
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

Yankee Girl
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Yankee Girl »

mrvmax wrote:Thanks for the link, that is information they never even offered to us.
Wow. Maybe they were trying to keep you "untainted" for the trial? :confused5
You're welcome! Hopefully you and your lady can sleep better tonight.
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Yankee Girl wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Yankee Girl wrote:
Perhaps legally, that is so, but as a mother of a teenager, I would not want my own son to be placed in unnecessary jeopardy, and therefore would not willing put another parent's son in unnecessary jeopardy.
...unnecessary jeopardy...
Agreed! If this store is in such a bad/dangerous area that it's neither safe to shop nor is it safe to work there, I reckon everyone should all go somewhere else to spend their money and/or seek employment.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Post by seamusTX »

Oldgringo, amigo, Friendswood is such an upscale and lily-white suburb, probably the only safer place is the moon.

Ya gotta take yer chances. There is only one sure bet in life, and you know what it is.

You should have seen some of the places I worked in Chicago.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:Oldgringo, amigo, Friendswood is such an upscale and lily-white suburb, probably the only safer place is the moon.

Ya gotta take yer chances. There is only one sure bet in life, and you know what it is.

You should have seen some of the places I worked in Chicago.

- Jim
There it is. There are no guarantees and a parking lot robbery could happen anywhere, even in our little one grocery store backwoods burg. The carry-out guys here would be no protection - I'm pretty sure.

This thread has caused me to be more aware of my surroundings when I go to the circus...oops, I mean Wal-Mart or anywhere else. It has also caused me to realize how totally exposed/vulnerable we are in those few moments when we take our packages from the cart, turn our backs to the world, and stow them in in the vehicle. :eek6

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mrvmax »

[/quote]

This thread has caused me to be more aware of my surroundings when I go to the circus...oops, I mean Wal-Mart or anywhere else. It has also caused me to realize how totally exposed/vulnerable we are in those few moments when we take our packages from the cart, turn our backs to the world, and stow them in in the vehicle. :eek6[/quote]

That was my intention when I first posted, I hope everyone is more aware now.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Excaliber wrote: The "look" you describe has several components. Among them are:

1. A fit build

2. The strong,balanced posture and fluid movement that a trained fighter unconsciously exhibits

3. The mental preparedness to "flip the switch" in a heartbeat and respond to a threat with all out relentless counterattack without having to go through several slow escalation steps. A person who has experience with violence readily recognizes this.

4. A "radar" alertness that constantly checks the area threats could come from. This expands and contracts with the circumstances, but it's definitely there and usually picks up on someone with ill intent when he just begins to show interest or approach. It's not just visual - it's more like a continuous "instinct" sweep to see if any threatening vibes are present. (Folks who've spent a lot of time in dangerous environments will understand what I'm trying to describe here. Most others will probably think I've lost my mind.)

5. A constantly moving gaze that is always alert and scanning the environment. It stops and locks onto potential threats with a hard stare that contains no fear. I describe it as "missile lock" or a "target acquisition stare" at something or someone that may need to be engaged with violence.

There are other cues too - polished shoes (a hard to break military or paramilitary habit, but an unusual characteristic among civilians), a tactical knife clipped in the pocket, a sturdy belt, high quality precision eyewear, etc. that an alert observer may pick up on.
Wow! I've been out for over 20 years, but it's amazing how many of these traits I still have. I do keep my hair cut very short, but that's more out of laziness. I don't like to have to do much more than dry it in the morning after my shower. My boots weren't shined when I was in because we didn't want them to have a glare that could reflect light. We were told not to shine them. I was Navy, but most people think I was a Marine and some (strangers) think I'm still active even at 45y.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

The bullet holes in the back of their vehicle came from a CHL holder's weapon. Ladies, wake up and smell reality. We have to defend ourselves. Giving them what they want without a fight and choosing to be defenseless is how we end up tortured, raped, and dead. Our families need us. Sorry, just had to put in my 2 cents worth. I was almost mugged a couple weeks ago. Being armed is one big reason I can say "almost".
Here's the link to the CHL's response to being mugged by these guys;

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/173378/
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mctowalot »

Originally they thought she hit the vehicle with only 1 of her 5 shots. Now we learn there are "several" bullet holes.

Nice shoot'n, madam! :tiphat:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”